Were you caught, did you confess, or did you run?

by sass_my_frass 27 Replies latest jw friends

• sass_my_frass
    sass_my_frass

Hi, fyi: d'f'd a month ago, and glad you're all here.

I'm just assessing the sum of the madness that happened since my parents guilt-tripped me into confessing what got me disfellowshipped. I do very sharply recall that at the moment I decided to do so I had an overwhelming feeling of relief which at the time I thought was me hating the lying about what I'd done and wanting to come clean about that and clear my conscience as a witness, but have since thought might have been me hating the lying about how I feel about the organisation and wanting to come clean about that as a human, ie, whether I'd turned the corner as a witness or I was glad to be getting away from it. I still don't know, I'm utterly hating being disfellowshipped and want my family back, but I know that I don't want to be reinstated unless I change something about how I feel. I'm not a good enough actress to pull off faking faith in a committee meeting; it's easy enough when you're just an invisible inactive sister who keeps her head down, but now I've got to summon the joy of the newly interested, the conviction of the newly baptised, the humility of the... that's it, that's what I'm trying to say; I'm truly repentant of what I've done, but I'm not repentant of how I feel towards the organisation. They'll smell that a mile off. It might be better for everybody if I just get on with my life and stay out.

It's a very confusing time - deciding whether I have been rejected by a cult who are wrong wrong wrong and to count my blessings and move on, or to run back to it and reject these thoughts. I think that now is the time that I finally have to face them and work through them. I am attending meetings as that is the only thing that the elders can see, but they weren't interested in what had always worried me or what my motives are, and never will be. This is something I always needed to investigate on my own but I always took the advice not to and to only research and study things from the organisation. I think that if your faith can't stand up to just a bit of questioning you need to ask yourself why you have it. So I'm not doing anything wrong now, haven't for a long time, but I shouldn't get reinstated asap for the sake of stopping the hurt within my friends and family and because I miss them. But I thought as it was happening that I'd attend the meetings anyway, regardles of how I hate them, just to get in credit for that year or two of penance you have to do before you're reinstated.

I think that I and my family might have been better off if my folks had turned a blind eye and minded their business, I'd 'repented' but we'd all be better off if I wasn't disfellowshipped. But I'd be interested to know, if anybody has done the maths; did you get caught out and hauled before the committee, did you get guilt tripped and go there yourself, or did you deliberately opt out?

Coz I'm wondering what that feeling of relief was about.

• sass_my_frass
    sass_my_frass

Actually, I think it was that I just couldn't keep the lies going any more, as my mum was seeing right through them. My plan was to lie, lie, lie, slowly fade away, and go to meetings with mum when she's in town once a year, but still be able to maintain contact with them all. And then my stupid overeager guilt-tripping conscience got in the way.

• tijkmo
    tijkmo

sass....i did all of the above...i was in love with someone i shouldnt have been and like you couldnt take the guilt and the secrecy...so we got caught we ran couldnt live with consequences and returned and confessed...i was honestly genuinely repentant for all the right reasons and determined to correct things because it was the right thing to do...but they df-ed me anyway...i spent 18 months fighting to get reinstated and by the time i was, i was completely mentally physically emotionally spiritually destroyed but i was convinced that on being reinstated i could restore former relationships and recover..however i couldnt do it without help and none of my former friends (and i had hundreds) were willing or able..most still treated me like a df-ed person

you talk of regret for what you did...i know what you mean...but for me the biggest regret of my life was trying to do what was right...my advice to anyone in my situation or yours now would be...run and dont look back...no amount of pain now -inc guilt which will subside- is comparable to what that org will do to you..

i wish you well

for more info...read my bio and admission and explained threads...and/or pm or email me

• crazyblondeb
    crazyblondeb

I remember the exact moment I snapped, and "saw the light". Another teenager in the cong. and I went riding around with 2 boys from school. We agreed not ever to tell. The next week I found out her conscience got her and she went to the elders. Keep in mind all we did was ride around on the "drag" for 30 minutes. I had been raised living in elders meetings. I was the one that made them earn their titles! My stepdad, who was a MS had been molesting me for years--but I was the bad one. I snapped and decided there would be NO MORE elder's meetings. I ran away from home and went to my real dad's--and never looked back. At the moment I made that decision, the weight of the world was lifted!

Run-your life depends on it!!!!!!

• Honesty
    Honesty

I found out about the organisation's lies, cover-ups, flip flopped doctrines, deceit in their New World Bible Translation when compared to the Kingdom Interlinear Translation and 'worldly' bibles, double standards and so much other despicable things about their belief system that I called Crooklyn, NY Bethel and cut the umbilical cord from the abusive motherlike organisation and then called the local elders and told them what I had done. Look at the WTBTS and compare their doctrines with the bible. Compare how they view other people and compare that with the way Jesus viewed others. Enjoy your journey out of the mind controlling JW cult.

• Satanus
    Satanus

Reading ray franz' book crisis of conscience, i saw that jehovah wasn't directing the gb. I found out that the wt doctrines were wrong compared to the bible. I found their history of wierd doctrines, rutherford's seizing control, etc. After that, i started posing the tough questions to my jw friends, jw workmates, and jw family. I knew i would end up being dfd. After a yr, i was.

S

• Chia
    Chia

I confessed too. I thought it would make me feel closer to Jehovah, because they always tell you you have to tell the elders for spiritual healing to take place.

After the committee meeting, the only ones who felt better were the elders. I'm sure they enjoyed what they heard there. I remember the PO asked me if I felt better. I said "no". He said, "You will." I certainly do, after I've begun to live my own life outside the organization.

I felt a brief sense of relief at feeling like I could start clean, like I didn't have to live the lie anymore. It was the lying that hurt. But once you take away the burden of the organization, there's no more lying. True, I'm not disfellowshipped, so technically I still have my family. But my mother still speaks to me as little as possible. I still feel what I've gained is so much better than what I lost.

• RichieRich
    RichieRich

I was caught. IT almost felt good. IT was a very cleansing experience to go before a bunch of power hungry janitors and walk away with my dignity and pride intact... I beat the system!

• Undecided
    Undecided

I wasn't caught, didn't confess but I ran like hell.

Ken P.

• love11
    love11

The funny thing is, I didn't do what they were accusing me of. But my mom ratted me out and told the elders that I spent the night at a worldly boys house. I did spend the night there, but it was completely innocent. We stayed up to 4-5 in the morning just talking and started watching a movie and fell asleep. In the morning when I went home, my mom said that she already called the elders. I said I didn't want to meet with them and they said that I had to or I would be disfellowshipped. I met with them, and they would not believe me that a worldly boy wouldn't try anything with me. So I was disfellowshipped.

I think they just wanted me out because I had ratted on my dad to them. In the past we would go to the elders and they wouldn't believe us. So when I had enough from my dad, I positioned a tape recorder in the living room behind the couch. It was set up so that when ever he started acting up, I would just turn light switch on and the tape recorder would turn on and record what was being said. I didn't think that I got anything substantial because I had seen my dad act worse then that. He was disfellowshipped right after that. Then my parents separated and everything just went down hill from there. Long overdue! So that's why I think they had it out for me, because of being so secretive. It's funny how my one act of being secretive upset everything so much, yet he was secretive for years and everyone thought he was great. But only jw's thought that! Sorry I got a little off of the subject I must have needed to say that today. Thanks for listening.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit