Are You Still Stuck In The Moral Panic trap?

by Englishman 16 Replies latest jw friends

• Sirona
    Sirona

Eman,

Actually now I think about it, I do have a deep feeling of fear. I can't pinpoint it exactly. However, I also have a comfort in knowing that in the end, even death isn't to be feared.

Sirona

• The Thinker
    The Thinker

Like most JW's I used to beleive that everyone else in the world was under Satan's control and that we were the only ones who weren't. Now that the vail has being lifted from my eyes, I can see that there are many good people in the world, honest hearted people and that there are young people who have good morals. And if I was God I wouldn't distroy them. I am more understanding and forgiving then I ever was as a JW.

• avishai
    avishai

anyone remember this ugly incident?

Interestingly enough, I went to the hall with a guy who wrote one of the definiteve books on the Japanese concentration camps, Ed Miyakawa. His wife was a JW, I don't think he was, but he went to the meetings with her quite a bit. They ran an adoption service in Newport OR in the 70's .

• ezekiel3
    ezekiel3
    my mom keeps saying that this is a weird world.... and I keep asking her, compared to what?

Zen, that is perfectly brilliant.

If the whole world is (fill in the blank) evil/selfish/etc then isn't the the good/selfless/etc person the weird one??

• Frog
    Frog

The culture of fear that exists in the West is incredibly unhealthy. Sure the world is always changing, but to think that times past were a golden era is a tad dillusional. Our awareness has increased, through our exposure to mass media forums and the surplus of information that's available. We also have more freedoms, and less safety nets. But how many of us that post here are truly under threat in our daily lives? Despite that agressive tendancies in humans are innate we live in a time where most societies have been passified through social conditioning. As for someone's prior comments on the world not being the same for them after 9/11, well that to me is just plain ignorant. The USA takes the moral highground as the 'land of the free', but through its policy of 'manifest destiny' throughout the C20th has done very little to create freedom and peace in the world. For once (and as terribly tragic and horrific as it was) American blood was spilled on American soil. This experience of terror was not knew to the world, or at least to those countries who did not have the means to stand up to such military strength (first atomic bomb dropped on Japan, Vietnam blitz with 90% fatalities being civilian deaths). The realisation just came a bit closer to home during the attacks on the West. This 'culture of fear' is successful in pacifying and controlling the masses, and inhibits our voice on things we should have an opinion on. We feel as though without the protection of the state in which we live we would loose the peace and security they provide for us, which moves us to give them license to use a monopoly of force as they see fit. The more I think about it, the more I realise I will not be controlled by this intense fear culture that has consumed so many, as this is where the problem lies. froglett

• Lieu
    Lieu

I don't think the world is evil per se but I do think there are some very evil and immoral people in it. There are slso some very decent folk about just trying to do their best as people. I no longer hang around JWs because I prefer to focus on the positives, not lull in the negatives.

• EvilForce
    EvilForce

I think it's an awesome place to be.

Terrorists??? Yeah, your chance of dying in an auto accident is 1,000 times more likely than a terrorist attack. I mean really quit buying into the Bush propaganda machine.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit