Saluting the American Flag

by jeffk378 27 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• jeffk378
    jeffk378

The other day my wife and I were at a function and the naitonal anthem was sung. My wife wouldnt stand because the society tells her not to. I think this is disgusting. There are different reasons for not saluting and some of them may be valid. I told my wife that it is because of what that flag stands for that the jws are even allowed to exist. If men had not died for our country and for the flag jws most likely wouldnt even exist. You can not agree with what our country does all the time, but its because of the flag that you are able to disagree and still have the same rights as everyone else. I think this is a beautiful concept, and one that should be honored. I dont worship the flag, or my country, but i recognize that while our system is not perfect, it does a damn good job. I think this is something the WTS can relate too, although i think our system does a much better job than thiers. I told her i think if jws dont want to salute our flag they should all just move to malawi and see how they like it there. Thats all

• kls
    kls

Jeffk, i won't go to any funtions with my jw husband because of this . I hear people whisper about him just sitting there like he is brain dead and i am so humilated that i try to act like i don't know him.

Moving to another country is what i told my husband he should do also , if ya don't like it here then move on . I don't worship the flag either but it is honoring those who felt enough for this country that they died for it.

I is with you 100% on this and know how you feel.

• Englishman
    Englishman

Jeff,

We stopped saluting the flag in the 50's. Shortly afterwards, we stopped executing people. It's just a sort of natural development that some countries haven't quite caught up with yet.

Englishman.

• Sith
    Sith

That's what makes America great...we still salute our flag and execute people

• Bas
    Bas

I never saluted the flag here either....well, in the boyscouts I did...but other than that it's just not practiced here anymore, at all; I think it has something to do with Hitler that made us Europeans abolish the saluting of the flag, though I don't know the exact story.

• Englishman
    Englishman

Hi Bas,

We stopped saluting the flag in 1958. It was something to do with Empire day becoming Commonwealth Day. I do recall doing the saluting stuff as a 10 year old, but even then it seemed slightly ludicrous.

Englishman.

• upside/down
    upside/down

Go into a Kingdumb Hull and refuse to stand for song & prayer or better yet kneel at the prayer...

They'll crap their pants!

Do unto others as you would have them do unto you...

u/d

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

"because of the flag...." wtf????

It's just a flag dude. Every country has one. The JW's are right that a person shouldn't worship it (at risk of being a dumbass, not because god will be offended). The JW's are wrong that saluting the flag is an act of worship.

• POs Son
    POs Son

I think that the statement "it's because of the flag..." shoud have read "it's because of the freedoms and liberties, fought so hard for by our men and boys, that are symbolized by our flag".

I proudly pledge my allegiance to the US, I am proud of the way we can live life here. BUT - I also respect the right of others NOT to feel that way, and may respectfully decline to make such a pledge.

On a similar note, did you know that a JW cannot become a Notary Public (at least in my area) as the Notorial Oath requires a pledge to defend the constitution of the state and nation.

POs Son

• gringojj
    gringojj

You could always tell the jw if they dont like the way things are then they can just vote.......oh wait

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit