Silentlambs and Signifiers that Signify Nothing

by dunsscot 113 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• dunsscot
    dunsscot

Dear Had
    Enough,

:Please....don't think that we are all of such low "lynch mob" mentality that we will settle for only a simple accusation ourselves. To fight so strongly against this cause without even first hearing the evidence does a great injustice to those victims suffering in silence for so many years. Put yourself in the place of a parent whose child accuses someone and exhibits evidence of being molested only to be silenced by unqualified men following orders from the WTS. Could you then protect and support this org?:

When have I tried to protect the organization here? I simply asked for evidence and, since none seemed to be forthcoming, I pointed this fact out to certain interlocutors participating in this thread: Duns is not fighting against anyone. Why, I've even admitted that we (JWs) may have to change our policy one day. But logic and Scripture must dictate our decision (not hysteria, innuendo, or embellishing statements).

:Several of the elders in one previous congregation I attended barely finished grade 8 education...How can they be expected to have the insight to deal with such complex issues? I know that wisdom doesn't always have to come from a book...some have a gift of reasoning...but I know from experience that most uneducated men do not know how to treat people with deep emotional or physical problems.:

I'm not saying that elders should try to treat people with "deep emotional problems or physical problems." My remarks have to do with the spiritual dimension that motivates congregation elders to adjudicate cases in the way they do. There appears to be a place for psychologists and therapy where circumstances necessitate such remedial efforts. But a child who comes home depressed after visiting Brother Moe and Sister Sally does not necessarily have to be rushed off to see Dr. John.

:We here all want the whole truth... the real truth to come out. It serves no purpose to any of us to have the WTS fall because of lies. The REAL truth is for what we all so desperately strive.:

I think that you think you want the real truth to come out. Our treacherous hearts (our sinful unconscious motivations), however, may deceive us if we are not careful. The masters of suspicion (Freud, Nietzsche, and Marx) have warned us about the subconscious forces that motivate our behavior.

:What I object to is your seeming generalization of those of us posting here as boozing, promiscuous degenerates. So what if some like to indulge in the old scotch bottle and some lead a different lifestyle that what you or I or many others of us prefer. Some even just joke about it to have fun, but don't live like that.:

My statement must be read en toto and in context. I did not write that every person on this forum boozes it up. We know that there are at least some ethical men and women on this board. Please notice that the Scot also mentioned some believe in evolution or adhere to the tenets of Christendom here. I did not say every man and woman posting on this board is guilty of fornicatin' or drankin'.

:To insinuate that we here have a mob mentality that peers at the bottom of a scotch bottle, insults me to the very core.:

Reread the comments I made to dedalus. Duns is not guilty of argumentum secundum quid. He normally does not generalize when it comes to autonomous rational agents.

:Please before dismissing all that has been said about the upcoming exposure of the WTS, wait and take the time to hear all evidence. To downplay what some have expressed as their own experience, is an injustice to the years of pain and suffering they have gone through. Don't so easily dismiss their outcries until you have at least listened to their "proof".:

I am not dismissing outcries. The present typer just thinks the problem may be exaggerated. Furthermore, the innuendo put forth about Sydlik is not particularly helpful to your case. But I'll wait until Dateline airs their special and work from there.

Sincerely,
    Dan

Duns the Scot

• larc
    larc

Duns,

In the example you used in your own household, it certainly appropriate for the adults to do some investigation before proceeding. I am not suggesting that parents run to the police every time their child uses a word like rape or is moody. I am talking about significant and dramatic changes in affect, which would merit a trip to the doctor to see what is wrong. It could be any of a whole host of possibilities.

With your example, I would be concerned about the child. Why did she use the word rape? Is she so young that she doesn't know what the word means? If she knows, there is something wrong here. Either she has emotional problems or the mother is in denial.

Much of the rest of what you wrote is much like a Watchtower magazine defense. No, I don't buy it. I have read too many stories of gross injustices.

On the criminal side, I don't think that the offender should be free from criminal prosecution, because he confessed and is reprentant. On the side of being accussed, I don't think someone should be disfellowshipped because of a false accusation. I think that this whole mess should be sorted out in the court system with trained professionals. The reason that the Society does not want this, is not their search for justice. It is because they don't want the publicity.
    Remember one fact of organizational life: the organization is more important than the individual.

• dunsscot
    dunsscot

Dear larc,

I repectfully submit that we will never see matters eye to eye because we are approaching the problem with two wholly different sets of preunderstandings. Furthermore, while I am looking at matters theologically, you choose to trust in secular methods to solve congregational problems. I disagree, and there is no use trying to convince you otherwise at this time.

:On the criminal side, I don't think that the offender should be free from criminal prosecution, because he confessed and is reprentant.:

Maybe he should not. The issue requires more study IMHO. But you do not seem to be in a position to offer us a suitable THEOLOGICAL alternative at this point.

:On the side of being accussed, I don't think someone should be disfellowshipped because of a false accusation. I think that this whole mess should be sorted out in the court system with trained professionals. The reason that the Society does not want this, is not their search for justice. It is because they don't want the publicity.:

I think you're wrong and assert that which you cannot possibly substantiate. The Society is trying to use Scripture to deal with real life problems, whether you agree with the WT or not. Asseverations like those you spout above do not contribute to further understanding or productive dialogue.

:Remember one fact of organizational life: the organization is more important than the individual.:

I believe there is actually a symbiotic relationship between the individual and the organization. In other words, there is a dialectic interplay between the two modes of being as they vitally subsist for one another.

Lastly, I'll note that I am amazed at the intolerance I've witnessed discussing this issue. If one takes issue with Silentlambs' modus operandi, he or she is evidently greeted with argumentum ad hominem for the most part or utterly dogmatic pronouncements.

Sincerely,
    Dan

Duns the Scot

• Scorpion
    Scorpion

Dunsscot,

Should the Society and each individual congregation turn over any records they may have to child protective services, District Attorney etc, as far individuals that have claimed they were molested by elders or others in the realm of the WTBTS?

Is the WT really trying to use scripture in dealing with real life problems such as this? Please explain.

• larc
    larc

Duns,

The girl in your home: there is something wrong - you failed to comment.

Theological versus Secular Solutions: Theological solutions are appropriate in matters of theology. When a problem threatens the well being of members of society, then a secular solution must be found. In the old Testement, church and state were one and the solution for the kinds of problems we are discussing was stoning. Since the congregation can not establish punishment beyond a policy of not talking to someone, it is up to secular authorities to determine the appropriate punishment.

Organizational Life: The individual in any organization is expendable. I think your view that your organization is somehow an exception is incredibly naive.

Intolerance: Are you talking about me or people in general? Your syntax was not clear on this point.

• julien
    julien

So called Dunscott, you have nicely obscured the real issue, which is that the WBTS has a policy which can result in harm to children. Letters from HQ have shown that in the case of confessed pedophiles, when state law allows it, the sexual crime can be kept secret.

Does the society believe that these crimes should *always* be kept confidential? No, because in states where required they will report it to the authorities. We know they have no qualms about instructing R&F to break the law if they think it conflicts with "God's law (as interpereted by 2/3 of the GB)".

So revealing a sex offender to the authorities is not against God's law, yet it is only done when required. I don't think anyone would disagree that it is the best way to protect the victim and possible future victims. Why then is it not the policy of the society to always report these sex predators even when not required by law?

Dunscott do you think that allowing a 'repentant' man who has groped and fondled and gotten off on a helpless child should be protected by priest-penitent confidentiality? Would you like pedophiles to be working with your child in service? "hanging out" .. and you with no knowledge of his past? You think 'repentant' pedophiles never strike again?? Perhaps the next time you meet one you can send your child to the movies with him. Maybe a chat with ol' duscott will help him out.. you can tell him about what various philosophers think and then the two of you can bow down to the god-watchtower while chanting the mantra 'gods chosen people gods chosen people gods chosen people'..

I still think are a bethel committee..

• larc
    larc

Duns,

There are a number of issues beyond basic theology that should be handled within the congregation. These would be matters that are forbidden by the religion, but are not matters that are legislated as criminal by the state. An example would be cigarette smoking. It is a disfellowshipping offense, but not a criminal offense. At the other extreme is murder, which is both a congegational and a criminal offense. I certainly wouldn't think that you would condone the elders who harbored a murderer. Perhaps you would. I am not sure how far you are willing to extend your loyalty to your organization. I think pedophellia and rape are closer on the contiuum of criminality to murder than they are to smoking.

• larc
    larc

Duns,

I have a question regarding the subject of rape. If a man is attempting to rape a woman and she does not scream, is this a disfellowshipping offense for the woman? If so, why? If not, why not? Do you agree with the theological stance of your organization on this issue? Whatever position they take on this matter today, have they always taken that same position over the years. If not, why not?

• Tina
    Tina

Hi larc,
    I'd like to see your questions answered as well.hugs,T

• dunsscot
    dunsscot

Dear Scorpion,

:Dunsscot,
    Should the Society and each individual congregation turn over any records they may have to child protective services, District Attorney etc, as far individuals that have claimed they were molested by elders or others in the realm of the WTBTS?:

You tell me WHY the Society and/or individual JW congregations should turn over records when someone CLAIMS they have been molested. As I have contended hitherto, that is the problem that I have with Silentlambs: He has articulated many claims withott providing a scintilla of evidence for many (most?) of them.

:Is the WT really trying to use scripture in dealing with real life problems such as this? Please explain.:

I think that the WT always seeks to apply Scripture in its conative or inchoative activities.

Duns the Scot

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit