Thoughts on Reading CoC

by love2Bworldly 24 Replies latest jw friends

• GetBusyLiving
    GetBusyLiving

Ray has the voice of reading a Watchtower magazine, it was bizzare to read his stuff at first . Personally I enjoyed 'In Search of Christian Freedom' even more than 'Crisis of Conscience' because it really gets deeper into why the society is sooo wrong, and proves it with scriptures. I remember laughing out loud as I read some stuff from 'Studies in the Scriptures' talking about the intricacies of locomotives being described in detail throughout Psalms.. and how these teachings prove that the Bible students were chosen personally by Jesus at the time of this teaching because they were showing people the 'truth'. Two thumbs up.

GBL

• Tuesday
    Tuesday

I really enjoyed the book. I felt a bit sick after reading some of the things. It was a definite eye-opener for me, I enjoyed it moreso because I love the man vs society types of stories.

• JAVA
    JAVA

I had stopped attending meetings because I saw how the Tower blamed JWs for believing them about 1975. Something was very wrong with this religion, but I couldn't put it into words.

I ordered CoC when it first came out (1993 I think). Ray's book was a breath of fresh air, and helped me form words from the feelings I had for some time. All former Witnesses owe it to themselves to have a copy of this book. Finally, something worthy of underlining.

• jaffacake
    jaffacake

Both CoC and ISoCF were about the most important books I have read. CoC is part autobiography and left me in no doubt about his impeccable credentials, and genuine motives of Ray Franz. ISoCF is even better.

To answer Integ, it is far more than what you have heard. These books cannot be dismissed as apostate lies, because they are full of quotations from the Watchtower and the Bible that can be checked out.

I use the books almost weekly as reference sources to show that WTS interpretations of scriptures are so plainly wrong. ISoCF contains some of the best essays on subjects like correct interpretation of the blood issue in Scriptures, and how there is no Scriptural basis for an earthly organisation, governing body, or even faithful and discreet slave 'class'. Franz makes the true meaning of Scriptures so obvious.

If I ever get my loved ones out, the people I will thank are YOU lot on this board, and Raymond Franz! If it ever ha[ppens I might throw a big party and invite you all!

• vitty
    vitty

I know when I was in the org about "a book" I was intrigued. I think it was called WT slave for 30 years, but I dismissed it

I heard about CoC here, ordered it and read it every hour until I was finished. Then I read In search of Christian Freedom. I loved them both.

I cried, I was angry but I was so grateful to Ray Franz. What a lovely man. There was no bitterness, no hate only love and maybe dispare. Unlike the WT that is full of hate, arrogance, and full of its self.

It was that difference that made me appreciate these books where true and not some rantings of an "apostate"

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

30 years a WT slave deals more with the Rutherford era and his takeover of the WTS. Some people say the author sounds angry. The sociologist in me helped me see how the org turned out to be so controlling and unhealthy. I loved the book

• The Lone Ranger
    The Lone Ranger

To really appreciate these 2 books the COC and ISOCF one has to be a JW. The more deeper you were in the WTS the more you?ll appreciate these books, because they hit home. The ID called ?Love2Bwordly? states that it was slow reading but then she has being out for 20 years. When I first read the COC I couldn?t put it down, I marked it like it was a Watchtower magazine. It was the best $30 I ever spent. Ladylee staeted that ?Some people say the author (of 30 years a WT slave) sounds angry.? I would think it would be hard not to sound angry when you?ve discovered you?ve being lied to for 30 years but to the reader this always sounds incriminating.

• AuntieJane
    AuntieJane

Well, after reading all these posts I think I am going to take a chance and mail C.of C. to my JW relative.

If you were a JW and received one in your hands, unexpectedly...what do you think you would do????

• GetBusyLiving
    GetBusyLiving

:If you were a JW and received one in your hands, unexpectedly...what do you think you would do????

I would look around to see if any dubs were watching and, if not, take it into my house and read it. But I was never a regular dub.

Most will freak out, try to burn it, realize it won't burn because it is empowered with demon ethereal powers, then throw it in the trash FAR AWAY from the house.

GBL

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

C of C is a seminal publication - it can incite relief, pain, anger, sorrow and many other feelings = it should be compulsory reading for a JW

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit