What is the Real Financial Cost of a Circuit Assembly?

by FairMind 33 Replies latest jw friends

• FairMind
    FairMind

My congregation along with about thirty others attends Circuit Assemblies at a facility that is owned by the organization (a converted school). This building also has a section that serves as a KH for three local congregations. I have noticed that when the financial reports are read at the assemblies that the expense (which is not detailed) is always around $4,000. This amount sounds suspiciously high to me. The following is a list of what I might think the expenses would be:

1. $150 Heating/Cooling

2. $ 50 Water

3. $75 Toilet Paper, paper towels, soap

4. $150 Flowers (this expense is normally recouped through further donation for product)

5. $0 Speakers

6. $0 Security

7. $500 Plane fare, lodging, meals for special Bethelite speaker

Total $925

Where does the rest of the expense lie?

• TweetieBird
    TweetieBird

There was another thread about how an announcement is made to send a "donation" to the society for the worldwide work. They can have enough contributions to cover the expenses but then when they agree to send thousands of dollars to the society, they then create a deficit.

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist
    There was another thread about how an announcement is made to send a "donation" to the society for the worldwide work

It's worse than that. Before the assembly, the CO and elders decide on a contribution to the Society to come out of the assembly. That agreed upon amount is listed as an "expense" for the assembly. Before the first sheet of toilet paper is ripped, the assembly is a few thousand dollars in the hole.

I'm only parroting what others have said, maybe someone with more direct experience will chime in.

Dave

• RichieRich
    RichieRich
    the expense (which is not detailed) is always around $4,000

there are some sisters in my congregation, who, with a hand full of coupons, could get us out of there for under $2000.

• blondie
    blondie

There is also money set aside for future repairs and upkeep. That is why when extensive repairs or remodels get scheduled for assembly halls, the money is already there; at least in my experience with it. Assembly halls used to have caretakers...do they still...are they paid for their time.

Blondie

• zugzwang
    zugzwang

Blondie, the caretakers are paid with 2 extra years of everlasting life. (Tacked on at the end, of course!)

• iiz2cool
    iiz2cool

Up here the "expenses" are just over $4,000 for each day.

Walter

• EvilForce
    EvilForce

Also, a portion goes to paying insurance for the DO and CO.

They also pay a portion of the rent of the hall or if a payment is still due the payment for the circuit's share. Usually once this is paid off, then a reserve is built up plus a portion sent to the "borg" for other assembly halls to be built.

And really $ 4,000 for an assembly of 1,000 to 2,000 people is what $ 20 for a family of 4?

I'm not saying the spiritual food you get is worth $20 mind you....but nonetheless they ain't getting rich off $ 4,000.

• iiz2cool
    iiz2cool

$4,000 per day and the hall is used every weekend of the year. That's over $400,000 per year tax free for a facility that was built and maintained by volunteers.

I'm in the wrong business. I should make up some lies and start a cult.

Walter

• IT Support
    IT Support
    Where does the rest of the expense lie?

There are the CO and DO expenses.

Then there are 'Resolutions.' When the elders get together for the circuit elders meeting, one of the chief purposes is to vote on the Resolutions.

• These may be for donations to WT and to the local district convention organisation.
    • They may also include expenses for the CO's accommodation, vehicle, insurance, stationery, etc.
    • There may be resolutions to pay for replacing circuit equipment (like PA equipment--unless the circuit uses an assembly hall, in which case it should be included in the 'per capita' rental charged to the circuit by the hall committee), etc.

At the circuit elders meeting, one of the elders gets up and rattles off the list of resolutions then asks if anyone has any questions. It's most unusual if anyone has. Then everyone is asked to indicate their agreement by raising their hands. Everyone does. Any disagree? No one.

However, the hall rental is usually always the largest cost of a circuit assembly. Assembly halls usually charge significantly more than secular auditoriums.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit