So sick and tired of the double standard

by ValiantBoy 25 Replies latest jw friends

• whyamihere
    whyamihere

Brooke it is my understanding that a priest will only perform the ceremony IN the church I said they were getting married in a GARDEN not a church. So I don't know who will marry them. Brooke

• kls
    kls
    My mom said that the apology was insulting and insincere.

Sorry for this comment Valiant and i am the mother of four grown kids but your mother does not sound very nice with that sort of comment.

How devistated your sister must have felt to hear that enough is not enough.

• whyamihere
    whyamihere

Well your Mom will suffer because this is her choice and she may regret it later!

Also, tell her if she so strongly believes in the JW's and it should not be in a church why isn't she going to all the meetings and getting out in field service? That is what the WT say they should do. Tell her she can't pick and chooses what to follow its all or nothing.

Brooke

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

Brooke

I guess I was replying to this part of your post

but if it is a priest who will marry them those two man hating maids are going to have a fit.
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere

Lady Lee

This is what I wrote before that.

They are getting married in a garden but I don't know who os going to marry them.

I guess you should have read everything.

Brooke

• rebel8
    rebel8

Pointing out the obvious: This is yet another example of JWs ignoring normal social etiquette. It is not up to a wedding guest (or invitee to any social event) to determine the venue, nor is it appropriate to complain about it. An invitee should simply accept or decline an invitation, not attempt to manipulate its conditions.

• love11
    love11

That's too bad that you are going through this. I hate to see family betray each other.

HEHE I'm sure Jehovah would not want her to go to her daughters wedding. Out of all the things going on in the universe, I'm sure the Almighty is going to kick her out of the paradise (afterlife) for going to her own daughters wedding. Yet it was ok for Moses, David, Solomon,etc to be a politician, went to war, and ordered people to death.

This is the kind of reasoning a jw has.

• ValiantBoy
    ValiantBoy

Rebel8..that is the point... If she would simply decline politely, none us would be overly upset. We recognize her beliefs and try to respect them. But the fact that she is being so unnecessarily rude and insisting that it be changed is what is making us so mad...and the fact that she is taking it so personally, like it is an intentional affront to her and a deliberate attemt to get her to break her integrity. oy.

• HadEnuf
    HadEnuf

Oh boy oh boy...I could really get into a snazooooooo about this subject...right Brookie? (And I think it would be great for you to stand up for your brother's wedding no matter where it is or who does the ceremony!! THAT is showing true love for your family!!! Have I told you lately that I love you? You are SO brave and honest! Don't EVER change for ANYONE!)

It was my belief that a JW could attend a wedding in a church if he/she did not participate in any "ceremony" such as prayer or lighting candles or stuff of that sort. Blondie would know.

ValiantBoy...Weddings seem to be a point of contention within many JW/none JW families. JW's will go above and beyond "what is written" in the Bible to ruin a couple's wedding. I have seen many a wedding tear apart families because of the behaviour of those like your mom. It is a difficult situation and one that I wish you didn't have to face. Weddings should be joyous occasions celebrating the love of two people. How sad and unloving for JW's to destroy the very spirit of a marriage between two who love each other.

It was what happened at a wedding (in fact...it was my son's marriage to the ever delightful whyamihere/Brooke) that pushed my husband and I out of the JW org. We could no longer stand the unloving, judgmental, self-righteous attitude displayed by those we once thought were our friends forever. What a crock.

Big hug...Cathy L.

• Hecklerboy
    Hecklerboy

The same thing happened to me when I got married. I was out for over 4 years and my mother and sister refused to come to the wedding even when we told them we were having it outside so they didn't have to go into a church.

The funny thing is they said that coming to the wedding would be approving of me marrying a "worldly" person, but it's OK to come visit and stay the weekend with me and my "worldly" wife. What kind of reasoning is that? Also my mother was more than happy to attend both of my brother's weddings. She even participated in them. Her reasoning was he was never baptised so it was OK to attend, but since I was baptised it would be wrong. Go figure. Then my sister had the nerve to ask me why I didn't attend her wedding. I told her she didn't come to mine so why should I come to her's. She never did get it.

I can tell my mother regrets this decision now. She has practically said it outloud to me.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit