Do you know of any "pioneer sisters" that were alcoholics or who drank?

by booker-t 10 Replies latest jw friends

• booker-t
    booker-t

We are always hearing about JW men that drank too much and had drinking problems. I remember one of the ministerial servants in my old hall was seen at the liquor store buying 2 hugh vodka bottles. The next week he was "publicly reproved" and stripped of his bookstudy, deleted as a pioneer, and his request to go where the need was great was revoked. Sad to say this brother died of liver problems last year and I heard through the "grapevine" that he was a alcoholic. He was such a nice guy I miss him alot. But on the flip side of the coin what about the JW women especially pioneers do you know of any or did you know of any alcoholic JW pioneer women and what eventually happened to them? Were they reproved, disfellowshipped or disassociated?

• Doubtfully Yours
    Doubtfully Yours

Nope! Not women, that I've heard anyway.

DY

• sandy
    sandy

Yes I knew an elder's wife who was an alcoholic. Her husband was as well. He was often demoted as an elder for this problem.

Nothing ever happened to his wife. Just countless talks in the back room.

My self-righteous sister was known to turn the elder and his wife in on few occassions.

• AlanF
    AlanF

I knew a special pioneer sister about 30 years ago who turned out to be a real lush. I only learned this years later. Seems she'd go to the local bar and get guys to buy all her drinks. She was quite well known among the clientele. She was a lot of fun when you first got to know her, and she had a knack for getting people to give her money and gifts. After several years, people would catch on, and she'd move on to a new assignment. She managed to avoid getting in trouble with the elders even though they all knew about her antics. I suspect that, having been taken in, they preferred that she just disappear rather than their taking a chance on being mightily embarrassed.

AlanF

• jeanniebeanz
    jeanniebeanz

For women it was more of an abuse of prescription drugs rather than booze. I did not know a single sister in my last congretation who was not on something, including me.

• blondie
    blondie

Both brothers and sisters with drinking problems are ignored around here. Those that don't finally wise up and go to rehab for help, drink themselves in to an early grave. I know of about 20 over the years that were not reproved, DF'd, etc. I have heard of younger people being DF'd for overdrinking on a regular basis. If you get arrested, then they have to look into it. There are many children of these people who suffered in an alcoholic home and had no where to go to in the congregation.

Biggest overdrinking place, Bethel.

Blondie

• garybuss
    garybuss

The visiting speaker came from out of town on Saturday night and he and my room mate went out to get drunk. I'd have went with them but I was sick. They came home plastered and the speaker threw up on the floor. The speaker slept till 1/2 hour before his talk. He gave the talk with sun glasses on. True story.

I wasn't aware of any drunk pioneers. There was a LOT of drinking among the Witnesses I know. It was the norm to drink. Lots of Witnesses smoked when I was associated with them. My uncle built a Kingdom Hall with a cigarette in his mouth. He was a good guy. Now they would shun him. I'd be in good company.

• iiz2cool
    iiz2cool

I got drunk with a pioneer "Service Overseer" a few times, but I don't know if any of the women were lushes.

Walter

• candidlynuts
    candidlynuts

the pioneers in my old hall were all on anti depressents, valium or xanex. most didnt meet for regular service with us peons.. they'd meet alone and do their ' return visits" which usually entailed yard sales, coffee breaks and the library.

• DevonMcBride
    DevonMcBride

Yup, I work with one. Not only does she drink heavily at trade shows, but every year she attends our office Christmas party and gets drunk there. I don't know how she made it to Pioneer because she is lousy at field service. She can't refute the easiest objections to the JW teachings.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit