Investigated the Dawn Bible Society (Russellites)

by orangefatcat 30 Replies latest jw friends

• zeroday
    zeroday

Russell's view of armageddon was not to far different than the JW's. Studies in the Scriptures volume 2 "The Time is at Hand" page 101:

"Be not surprised, then, when in subsequent chapters we present proofs that the setting up of the Kingdom of God is already begun, that it is pointed out in prophecy as due to begin the exercise of power in A.D. 1878 and that the "battle of the great day of God Almighty" which will end in A.D. 1915, with the complete overthrow of earth's present rulership, is already commenced. The gathering of the armies is plainly visible from the standpoint of God's Word."

• Amazing1914
    Amazing1914

Hi Orange,

A few years ago I attended the Dawn Bible Students national convention in Newberg, Oregon. It was most interesting. It had many elements of an extra large JW circuit assembly. It was held at a local college with about 3,000 in attendance. About a third of the audience wre ex-JWs. This is where I got to know the grandaughter of Olin Moyle, and learn some interesting information regarding the Moyle v Watchtower trial.

At this convention I was able to purchase the first book ever written by Charles Russell, called: Tabernacle Shadows. I spoke extensively with the Dawn Students, and learned that they could have beaten Rutherford legally, given that Rutherford had no authority to fire the four directors. Their attorney wanted to press forth and remove Rutherford, but after prayerful consideration, they decided to not take their brothers to court in accordance with Bible principles. They decided to just let the Society go. Many viewed the Watchtower Society as having returned to Babylon the Great.

I also attended a few of their Sunday meetings. These were most interesting, because they are truly Bible studies. They do spend the first half hour discussing pages from Studies in the Scriptures, but after that they discuss and even debate what they study in the Bible. Women and men participate equally. The children are watched by an adult and old kids, but essentially play quietly in a play area, while the adults study and debate.

Overall my assessment of them is: The Dawn Bible Students have all the good things you wanted with Jehovah's Witnesses, but none of the bad.

Jim Whitney

• blondie
    blondie

I would like to point out that the Bible Students differ in belief depending on the group. I was surprised to find out that some celebrated the Memorial on March 22 (approx) and some will be doing so around April 23.

Some groups closely follow every word that Russell ever wrote and others are more "liberal."

There are many groups and they are not organized like the WTS into one big group. They show respect for each group and may cooperate in some things, but mostly they are independent of each other.

Blondie

• minimus
    minimus

The poster "RR" is the resident expert on Russell and the Bible Students. Check out his posts for anything related to this.

• zeroday
    zeroday

RR is an exJW elder who joined the Bible Students.

• Balsam
    Balsam

Bible Students do have websites, there are few but basically all feel Russell was a prophet of sorts. They are a much nicer group than the JW, and do not have all the baloney the JW have. There are none in my area, but would say if anyone is interested they worth checking out.

• minimus
    minimus

Are you sure RR was a former JW elder?

• zeroday
    zeroday

Yes

• zeroday
    zeroday

Bible Students are heavy into creature worship (no need to flame, only my opinion). Take Russell out of the picture and there is no movement.

• minimus
    minimus

Zero, I ask because I thought he was a ministerial servant.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit