What book helped "open your eyes"

by Shawn 39 Replies latest jw experiences

• Shawn
    Shawn

The obvious two would be CoC and ISoCF. Are there any others that had an impact on your beliefs/doubts? Are there any that are not apostate?

• GetBusyLiving
    GetBusyLiving

I can't promote 'Who Wrote the Bible' by Richard Friedman enough man. This is a MUST read, and its not 'apostate'. It totally opens your eyes about the origins of the Old Testament.. gave me chills.

GBL

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

"who wrote the bible?", and "the Demon Haunted World" (Carl Sagan) both helped me get free of not only the JW baggage, but also helped me realize that the foundations of thought/belief that my life was built upon were rotten wood set on thin ice.

• Shawn
    Shawn

Another question. What do you believe now based upon the book that changed your perspective? What faith do you have if any? finally, kind of a dumb question but on a scale of 1-10 how important was that book to your leaving the WTS.

• Alwayshere
    Alwayshere

The Encyclopedias, they all say Jerusalem was desolated 587 not 607.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

The Gentile Times Reconsidered by Carl Olof Jonnson

• Shawn
    Shawn

stillajwexelder, from what I understand that is a hard book to read with out a lot of historical knowledge. Do you recomend it?

• avishai
    avishai

For me? It was books by Robert Heinlein like "Stranger in a strange land" And "Time enough for love" and some Asimov, stuff like that, Non fiction stuff, I read all the time as a kid. A lot of the simple, silly wisdom of lazarus long helped me out of the JW 's and into another world as an adolescent.Here are a few that made me think

The more you love, the more you can love -- and the more intensely you love. Nor is there any limit on how many you can love. If a person had time enough, he could love all of that majority who are decent and just

To stay young requires unceasing cultivation of the ability to unlearn old falsehoods

You live and learn. Or you don't live long.

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done and why. Then do it.

If it can't be expressed in figures, it is not science; it is opinion. It has long been known that one horse can run faster than another --
    but which one? Differences are crucial.

One man's theology is another man's belly laugh.

Men rarely (if ever) manage to dream up a god superior to themselves. Most gods have the manners and morals of a spoiled child.

• Terry
    Terry

1.TEN PHILOSOPHICAL MISTAKES by Mortimer J. Adler

2.Introduction to OBJECTIVIST EPISTEMOLOGY by Ayn Rand

3.Who Wrote the Bible by Friedman

4.A HISTORY OF GOD by Karen Armstrong

5.THE BATTLE FOR GOD by Karen Armstrong

6.CRISIS OF CONSCIENCE by you know who

There are more; but, those are the most influential. Reading a history of the Christian church from various sources was extremely helpful to open my eyes to what kind of men were making these things up.

Terry

• Shawn
    Shawn

I am keeping track so keep em coming. I have Combatting Cult Mind Control coming plus I am reading CoC and after that ISoCF. I am also reading teh JW Reasoning book and then I have Sign of the Last Days. I have also read 2 books by Ron Rhodes.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit