Papal ceremony fairly ludicrous for Christians?

by Qcmbr 36 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• heathen
    heathen

I can't remember the catholic church using alot of incense . On a typical sunday service things are not that pomp actually . You can usually here a pin drop it's so quiet . The priest usually does an hour presentation of some sort then people go to light candels for the dead or approach an alter to pray . I can't say I know how they do things today but just recollections of about 30 yrs ago . They do have confessions which is something different than most religions and is scriptural but I don't think the priest can determine the correct number of our fathers and hail marys to absolve sin . I think forgiveness is dependent on ones sincerity not on the number of times one repeats a prayer using the same words over and over . I think in order to confess you have to be sincere to begin with .

That's the first I've heard of the pope being against the war in Iraq , the church does believe in "just war" but I guess the only one that determines what is "just war " is the pope . In a democracy that is something the people decide through representation . I disagree with the way GW went about doing what he did without consent of the people . I'm telling ya the US is in danger of losing it's democracy and the voice of the people .

• omerp
    omerp

Is this what I would learn, if I became a Jehovah's Witness? .....to disrespect other religions and to disrespect the Pope who just died? The Pope was a great leader and he died the way we should all hope to die and that is with great dignity! I find that most Jehovah's Witness have no respect for Catholics and the Pope and that comes from the top so why is this? Does not God want everybody to respect all people, especially the dead?

• Watching the Watchtower
    Watching the Watchtower
    Is this what I would learn, if I became a Jehovah's Witness? .....to disrespect other religions and to disrespect the Pope who just died? The Pope was a great leader and he died the way we should all hope to die and that is with great dignity! I find that most Jehovah's Witness have no respect for Catholics and the Pope and that comes from the top so why is this? Does not God want everybody to respect all people, especially the dead?

Hi, I'm new, but just wanted to respond to this, as I've been lurking for a while. Why should I respect someone that hasn't earned my respect. I have a hard time respecting someone that fails to protect children from pedophiles, then continues to support someone like Bernard Law. He gave Bernard Law the position of Archpriest of St. Mary Major Basilica, which considering what Bernard Law is responsible for, is a slap in the face to the many Boston, MA abuse victims.

• omerp
    omerp

On Bernard Law, if he knew and protected sexual preditors, be that a Priest or anyone else, they should pay for that crime and if not on earth then he will have to answer for that to God himself! As far as the Pope is concerned, only he could have justify his way of thinking but I would give him the benefit of the doubt! I apologize for sounding off at Jehovah's Witness but they do think themselves the one true religion and all the other thousand or so other religions are wrong! I don't think so!

• Watching the Watchtower
    Watching the Watchtower

On Bernard Law, if he knew and protected sexual preditors, be that a Priest or anyone else, they should pay for that crime and if not on earth then he will have to answer for that to God himself! As far as the Pope is concerned, only he could have justify his way of thinking but I would give him the benefit of the doubt! I apologize for sounding off at Jehovah's Witness but they do think themselves the one true religion and all the other thousand or so other religions are wrong! I don't think so!

I'm not a JW, I'm an ex-jw, and the JW's are no better than any other religion, I'm not sure what that has to do with my comment though, the pope had an opportunity to at last to start to set things right, and he didn't, he doesn't deserve any more respect, say of then that of the governing body.

• William Penwell
    William Penwell

I don't disrespect others right to believe the way they want but I have a problem with not just Catholic but all religions. Other religions don't repect my right to believe the way I want. That is one reason why I have no use for religion. Will

• rebel8
    rebel8
    I find no scriptural evidence for papal props and pageantry.

Uhhh, I find that logic flawed. JWs believe there is no scriptural evidence for celebrating birthdays, and they say it's not ok to do because of that. You are saying because the Bible doesn't say there should be props, then it is wrong?

Choice for how to celebrate someone's funeral/death rites varies widely from culture to culture, religion to religion, family to family. These are matters of personal taste, not Biblical adherence.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit