Did God lie about Satans rebellion to justify his own actions?

by jeanniebeanz 14 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• jeanniebeanz
    jeanniebeanz

Keeping in mind that his followers malign the reputation of departing witnesses regardless of their reasons for leaving, do you think that God made up lies about Satan's motivations for rebelling in order to justify his own harsh course of action?

Just a rambling thought this morning. What do you all think?...

Jeannie

• integ
    integ

God doesn't lie.........People DO.

• Satanus
    Satanus

It's a morality story endorsed by the jewish priests/rabbiis. Moral: you better respect their authority, or else.

S

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Jeannie, go to this link and copy the article to a Word document and then print it up and read it. It was written by an exbrother and will give you some very interesting food for thought about who Jehovah really is and a different look at the whole rebellion. It's an easy, informative and very enlightening read. I think all exwitnesses should read it. I've been much happier since I read it.

http://www.jcnot4me.com/Items/theology/JEHOVAH_UNMASKED/jehovah_unmasked.htm

One point that is made: 1 John 4:8 says God is love. The definition of love in the Bible says that love is not jealous. The Old Testament is full of scriptures of Jehovah screaming, "I am a jealous God!!!!" "You must have no other gods before me!!!" Let me know what you think.

• zen nudist
    zen nudist

Satan is an interesting bible character

the only link we have that the serpent and satan are the same come from indirect connections much later

in the bible like revelations calling him the original serperant, etc.

the first time we meet Satan in the bible is the book of Job, there he is free to come and go in heavenly court. and even though there is NO indication that he is an enemy of God, the way it talks about him is with not a little contempt on the writers part.

in early jewish mythology satan works FOR Jehovah as the high court cheif prosecutor who is later removed for arrogance and doing his job a bit too well.... this is echoed in later n.t. writings too...the accuser of our brothers.

in Job we find a Satan who seems almost the equal of Jehovah challenging Jehovah, not just Job and making petty bets not really concerned about human life or dignity.... reminds me a lot of the eddie murphy movie -trading places where a man's life is ruined over a dollar bet.

• Black Man
    Black Man

I kind of think that the jewish writers of the bible created the scenario of universal sovreignty and satan's role in it. I mean, how do you get the whole sovreignty issue, human conflict, allowance for thousands of years of evil and injustice from the Genesis and Job account? While those accounts seem to highlight a certain degree of conflict, it doesn't tie ALL OF HUMANITY in it - just Adam, Eve, Satan and Job. The WTBS are masters of spin-doctoring as are many other religions who have adopted the same story.

• jeanniebeanz
    jeanniebeanz
    some very interesting food for thought about who Jehovah really is and a different look at the whole rebellion.

Thanks, Flyin.

Yes, the book is long but interesting. I've heard the theory of there being a pantheon of gods in the ancient Israelite history, but nothing quite like this take.

Thanks,

J

• FairMind
    FairMind

No, God did not lie.

• sad and lonely
    sad and lonely

i agree with you guys...god isn't a lier...and its in every bible...adam and eve started the chain reaction of things thats going on today..they sinned ...we sin..but check this out...kind of on the lighter side of this....me and my sister...gets her hubby and his male firends,family highly pissed when we say "adam was the dumb-ass...he had set rules from god himself..but he let a woman mees with his head!...a woman was bad as hell...and we still got you men whipped!....lol(bet not get mad!!..i'm just having fun!

• kalenel
    kalenel

In my opinion, sometimes I think that people look too deep for God's motivations. I'm new here, so I don't know if the majority (or if any) people still believe in god at all, but as for me, I do not. To me, both the new and old testament is just a story. A really great story, but nothing more. In mythology, there is almost always a figure that represents the anti-thesis of god, except for the more primitive religions, where the "bad" figures, as it were, are more tricksters than the ultimate evil. The reason there being that there usually wasn't an ultimate god, but more of a series of smaller, nature based deities. What we have to remember, is that sometimes the connections between the books of the Bible are lost, or not even there, as they were written over a long time span, and by many different authors. Sometimes, I see people try to make connections between the new and old testament, and it just seems silly to me. The old testament was written by the Jews, who had no connection to the new testament and the introduction of Jesus as a deity figure. There are many who refer back to... Isaiah, I think, when the author says "Surely he has borne out infirmaties/and carries our diseases...upon him was the punishment that left us whole..." Many take that as a prophecy of Jesus and his eventual suffering and death, when in fact, I believe that it was simply the Jews talking about their suffering at the hands of their captors. The people back then believed that even though they were being treated unfairly, that they were god's chosen people and their suffering saved the world. I guess what I'm saying is that sometimes we must view the books of the Bible as separate, not parts of a whole. How this relates back to Satan: as I said, there is almost always a figure created as an antagonist of God. One interesting coincidence I read: When the Buddha was being enlightened under the Bodhi tree, the evil one Mara came down to tempt him into surrendering straight into Nirvana, but Buddha would not have it. Sounds like the temptations of Christ, kinda doesn't it? Sorry, kinda went off on a tangent. I hope you understand what I'm trying to say.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit