The New World Translation and Honesty

by Little Bo Peep 15 Replies latest watchtower bible

• swiftbreeze
    swiftbreeze

I've been reading the Bible and comparing it to the NWT. I used to try to read the NWT along with Watchtower articles and other WT books .... now when i read the Bible by itself with no filters ..it comes alive and is very interesting, i can read for hours. I try not to get hung up on things i don't fully understand i just try to grasp what the basic message is. I've also learned alot by coming to this forum.

• Forscher
    Forscher

One verse that I almost never see mentioned that was obviously rendered in a manner to uphold the WTBTS line of authority is Gal. 6:1:

*** Rbi8 Galatians 6:1 ***

6 Brothers, even though a man takes some false step before he is aware of it, YOU who have spiritual qualifications try to readjust such a man in a spirit of mildness, as you each keep an eye on yourself, for fear you also may be tempted

***********************************************************************************

The use of "you who have spiritual qualifications" in place of "you who are spiritual" ( humeis hoi pneumatikoi [Wescott & Hort as found in the Kingdom Interlinear, 1985 ed.]) does alter the sense of the passage in a way that bolsters the authority of the WTBTS hierarchy, or elders.

• what_Truth?
    what_Truth?

It's ironic that anyone would give you a bad look for reading a non NWT bible at a meeting considering that the Toronto bethel has a 300 year old Gutenberg bible encased in the loby.

• bennyk
    bennyk

For fun, check out Hebr. 11:13 in the KIT and compare it to the NWT rendering in the margin. (On the earth / in the land)

• Cygnus
    Cygnus

A lot of these added words or changes in syntax are the translators' perogative if they have legitimate basis for doing so. I think in a lot of case the NWT does (for instance, adding "other" in Colossians 1)...... but "torture stake" is pretty pitiful.

• freedom96
    freedom96

I think it is very interesting to read the bible without WTS stuff telling you which verses to read, and then telling us what they mean.

I remember reading some in Revelations, and, when taken all together, it totally sounds like heaven is where we are going, not eternity on a paradise earth.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit