Daniel's Prophecy, 605 BCE or 624 BCE?

by Little Bo Peep 763 Replies latest watchtower bible

• AlanF
    AlanF

scholar pretendus said to Narkissos:

: The 70 year period is not a fallacious simplification of the Biblical data at all but rather a harmonization of the Biblical data for to argue otherwise would have multiple seventy years, each having differing comings and goings. Biblical and secular history knows of no such mythology and it is the fact that scholars do not generally accept the proposition of multiple 'seventy year' periods for they refer to a singular period with widely conjectured terminii.

Let me focus on just one of the misrepresentations in this set of idiotic claims, by proving that the Watchtower Society itself disagrees with the claim that there were not multiple periods of 70 years mentioned in the Bible in connection with the Jews. I've brought this up to scholar pretendus several times before, but he has completely ignored the fact that the very Fred Franz he so admires as THE translator of the New World Translation, and the writer of the Watchtower book I quote below, admits in that book that there is at least a 2nd 70-year period ending in 518 B.C.

In Zechariah 7:1-5, the prophet says (NWT):

Furthermore, it came about that in the fourth year of Darius the king the word of Jehovah occurred to Zechariah, on the fourth [day] of the ninth month, [that is,] in Chislev. 2 And Bethel proceeded to send Sharezer and Regemmelech and his men to soften the face of Jehovah, 3 saying to the priests who belonged to the house of Jehovah of armies, and to the prophets, even saying: "Shall I weep in the fifth month, practicing an abstinence, the way I have done these O how many years?" 4 And the word of Jehovah of armies continued to occur to me, saying: 5 "Say to all the people of the land and to the priests, ?When YOU fasted and there was a wailing in the fifth [month] and in the seventh [month], and this for seventy years, did YOU really fast to me, even me?"

The date given for the 4th year of Darius in verse 1 corresponds to December 7, 518 B.C. (Julian calendar). This passage clearly states that the Jews had been fasting and wailing "in the fifth month" for 70 years, and some Jews raised the question of whether this should continue to be done. They were fasting and wailing to commemorate the burning of the temple in 587 B.C. Counting inclusively, from 587 to 518 B.C. is exactly 70 years, so we have here a 70-year period independent of the 70 years spoken of by Jeremiah.

Now, scholar pretendus and Rolf Furuli claim that the 70 years spoken of here by Zechariah must be the same as the 70 years spoken of by Jeremiah. But the Watchtower Society disagrees. I the 1972 book Paradise Restored to Mankind -- By Theocracy!, on page 235, this passage from Zechariah is expounded upon as follows:

2 The time that the above questions came up was in the fourth year of the reign of King Darius I of the Persian Empire, or in the year 518 B.C.E. Just twenty days less than two years prior to this time of inquiry, Jehovah by means of the prophet Haggai had said to the Jews who had just resumed working at the foundation of the second temple at Jerusalem: "Set your heart, please, on this from this day and forward, from the twenty-fourth day of the ninth month, from the day that the foundation of the temple of Jehovah was laid; set your heart on this: Is there as yet the seed in the grain pit? And as yet, the vine and the fig tree and the pomegranate tree and the olive tree -- it has not borne, has it? From this day I shall bestow blessing." (Haggai 2:18, 19) Since then two blessed harvests should have been gathered from the land.

3 Now, when the question of fasting and mourning is raised, this time Jehovah answers by his prophet Zechariah. The prophet tells us: "Furthermore, it came about that in the fourth year of Darius the king the word of Jehovah occurred to Zechariah, on the fourth day of the ninth month, that is, in Chislev. And Bethel proceeded to send Sharezer and Regem-melech and his men to soften the face of Jehovah, saying to the priests who belonged to the house of Jehovah of armies, and to the prophets, even saying: ?Shall I weep in the fifth month, practicing an abstinence, the way I have done these O how many years??" -- Zechariah 7:1-3.

4 Bethel was one of the towns that had been reestablished in the land of Israel by the Jews who returned from exile in Babylon. (Ezra 2:28; 3:1) When Sharezer and Regem-melech from there asked: "Shall I weep?" it meant every inhabitant of Bethel individually. For "O how many years" now the Bethelites had been celebrating a fast, an abstinence from food, in the fifth lunar month of each year. It was observed evidently on the tenth day of that month (Ab), in order to commemorate how on that day Nebuzaradan, the chief of Nebuchadnezzar?s bodyguard, after two days of inspection, burned down the city of Jerusalem and its temple. (Jeremiah 52:12, 13; 2 Kings 25:8, 9) But now that the faithful remnant of Jews were rebuilding the temple of Jehovah at Jerusalem and were about half through, should the Bethelites continue to hold such a fast?

Now, since scholar pretendus claims that the New World Translation "is clearly the work of Holy Spirit" and "that Jehovah and His Son would graciously oversee the bringing up of a transaltion that truly honours Him", and we know that Fred Franz was the sole translator of the NWT, and the author of numerous Watchtower publications including the above-mentioned Paradise Restored book, and scholar pretendus also claims that everything published by the Watchtower Society is a product of that most wondrous "faithful slave" that so clearly has the guidance and direction of Jehovah God himself, and of his Son Jesus Christ, there is a serious problem for poor scholar pretendus: he must acknowledge that Jehovah and Jesus and the "faithful slave" acknowledge that there are at least two 70-year periods mentioned in the Bible.

Of course, a simple textual analysis of the passage from Zechariah shows that the Watchtower Society's statements quoted above are correct, so one doesn't need the Watchtower's buy-in to establish the above facts.

It should be noted that the above facts constitute independent confirmation of the date of 587 B.C. for the destruction of Jerusalem, if one accepts that the 70 years spoken of by Zechariah were an exact time period.

AlanF

• AlanF
    AlanF

scholar pretendus said:

: Response to post 4068

: At last! You did it, You posted Jonnson's original letter to Jenni. Now that was not to difficult was it?

What do you mean "at last"? This was not the responsibility of anyone on this thread except you, who wanted it. I even suggested that you write Jonsson yourself, but it's obvious that your intellectual cowardice prevented you from doing this simple chore. Instead, you rely on others to do the work you ought to be doing for yourself.

: I notice that in Jenni's response that he made reference to Jehovah's Witnesses and their theory. This is somewhat intriquing because Jonsson did not disclose to Jenni that Furuli is a Witness so one wonders Why and How that Jenni could have made such an association

What a moronic comment! Jenni's reply to Jonsson gives you your answer:

As I recently have received an inquiry from Germany concerning Jer 29,10 (likewise in connection with a theory of Jehovah's Witnesses), I can answer you relatively quickly.

You can't understand simple English sentences, so it's no wonder you failed your Masters course.

I must admit, though, that the help your buddy Shearman is giving you seems to have advanced your writing ability from that of a toddler all the way up to that of a kindergartner!

: which may have affected Jenni's reply.

LOL! The usual grasping at straws.

: Maybe Furuli's reputation as a scholarly Witness in Europe came to Jenni's attention.

"Scholarly Witness"? LOLOL! Furuli's only reputation is as a typically dishonest JW apologist. Why do you think he was unable to get any plugs from recognized scholars to paste on the rear cover of his book Persian Chronology? Why do you think he has failed to publish anything at all in peer-reviewed journals?

: Thank you for the post.

You're welcome.

: Response to post 4069

: In this post you make the extravagant claim of proving beyond any doubt that Jeremiah's seventy years ended in 539 BCE by means of three 'points'. Perhaps, now that we are all enlightened by the said 'points' you could present them to the scholarly community by means of a journal article for their overdue enlightenment'

These points are already covered by Jonsson and many others. There's no need to guild the lily.

: Point 1:

: You claim that 2 Kings 25: 11,12

I wrote nothing about that passage.

: and Jeremiah 25:11,12 proves that the seventy years ended with the Fall of Babylon in 539 BCE. The crux of your argument that verse 12 clearly shows that when the 70 years were fulfilled, Jehovah would punish the king of Babylon which occurred in 539 BCE. But is this really what the text says?

Yes. Note the words once again: "When seventy years have been fulfilled I shall call to account against the king of Babylon." Which words do you not understand?

: I think not because verse 12 clearly shows that after the completion of the seventy years a period of judgement against Babylon would commence.

Right, and do you really think that the conquering of Babylon by the Persian Empire, and the killing of its king Belshazzar, was not the commencement of a period of judgment? How absurd! You can't even manage to give an event.

: Certainly, Babylon received a judgement from Jehovah when it was toppled as a World Power by the Persians which happened in 539 with the introduction of a new World Power at Babylon.

Precisely. Even you and Shearman seem able to understand this simple point.

: However, verse 12 is separated from verse 11 as shown by most translations and commentators which recognizes verse 12 as a new oracle delivered not to Jerusalem but Babylon.

Whether the original writer had in mind a separation is irrelevant. Verse 11 ends by saying that "these nations will have to serve the king of Babylon seventy years." Verse 12 begins by saying, "And it must occur that when seventy years have been fulfilled..." Obviously, these two verses are talking about the same 70 years, and are therefore connected.

You've made a comment, but failed to explain its relevance to your argument.

: So, the seventy year period had expired then Babylon would receive successive judgements right through history until thos judgements were completed.

Very good!

: Verse 12 and 13 make it quite clear that the land of Chaldea including Babylon wiuld now be subject to desolations which did not occur at 539 which merely saw the overthrow of a city.

The conquering of the Babylonian Empire can hardly be called "mere", either in the frame of secular history, or what the Watchtower Society terms "Bible history". Your reason for using this term is transparently obvious.

The fall of the empire most certainly was the beginning of the long period which ended with Babylon's desolation. Remember that this final desolation didn't occur until at least the 4th century A.D. more than 800 years later.

: It was only over time that all of the things spoken against Babylon by Jeremiah could have been fulfilled.

You've killed your own argument. What you now have to argue is that the beginning of Babylon's punishment was not the overthrow of the empire and the killing of its king, but some unspecified event early in the reign of Cyrus -- which is only a two year difference, and miniscule compared to the 800-some-odd additional years that Babylon would remain in existence. Your argument is clearly circular, since it depends on the assumption of the end of the 70 years in 537 B.C. to justify pegging the beginning of Babylon's punishment to 537 B.C.

: The text verse 12 does not explicitly refer to the overthrow of Babylon at the behest of Cyrus.

It was a prophecy whose fulfillment observers were supposed to watch for. It's an extremely easy prophecy to decipher: when the king of Babylon is punished, the prophecy is fulfilled. What could be easier?

: What the text does infer is that the judgement against Babylon could only have begun when the seventy years expired which was a short time later in 537 BCE

You've failed to state with just what event the long period of judgment ending in desolation began. As usual, you want to keep things as fuzzy as possible so your stupid arguments can't be nailed down.

The fact that you cannot give a starting event for your claimed beginning of this period of judgment proves that you don't know of any.

: Point 2:your argument here is that according to Jeremiah 27:6,7 which refers to Neb's family could only be the 'king of Babylon' represented by Jeremiah 25:12. This is specious reasoning. how so?

Good! You've fallen into my trap, just as I expected. Actually, it's Shearman who's fallen into it, since you haven't so far demonstrated the intelligence to see such subtle points.

First, your summary of my argument is a distortion of what I said. What I said was this:

"The text of Jeremiah 27:6, 7 shows that only Nebuchadnezzar's line of kings were the kings of Babylon referred to in Jeremiah 25:12."

There is quite a difference between Nebuchadnezzar's "line of kings" and his "family". What I meant -- and was confident that you'd miss -- was that the line was the dynasty begun by Nebuchadnezzar and duly authorized by Babylonian law to continue ruling. Obviously, Cyrus was not authorized by Babylonian law to rule the empire, and he most certainly was not a member of Nebuchadnezzar's line of kings in any way. So your misrepresentation of my argument is a straw man.

Insight on the Scriptures (Vol. 1, p. 425) puts my point nicely:

As the influence of the Chaldeans spread northward, the whole territory of Babylonia became known as "the land of the Chaldeans." Isaiah in his prophecies anticipated this Chaldean rise to power and their subsequent fall. (Isa 13:19; 23:13; 47:1, 5; 48:14, 20) Particularly was this domination manifest during the seventh and sixth centuries B.C.E. when Nabopolassar, a native of Chaldea, and his successors, Nebuchadnezzar II, Evil-merodach (Awil-Marduk), Neriglissar, Labashi-Marduk, Nabonidus, and Belshazzar, ruled the Third World Power, Babylon. (2Ki 24:1, 2; 2Ch 36:17; Ezr 5:12; Jer 21:4, 9; 25:12; 32:4; 43:3; 50:1; Eze 1:3; Hab 1:6) That dynasty came to its end when "Belshazzar the Chaldean king was killed."

So, we have four full Babylonian kings after Nebuchadnezzar: Awel-Marduk (Evil-Merodach), Neriglissar, Labashi-Marduk, and Nabonidus, and one secondary king, Belshazzar. According to one of Nabonidus' royal inscriptions (the Hillah stele; cf. Jonsson, GTR4, p. 134), Awel-Marduk was Nebuchadnezzar's son and Labashi-Marduk was Neriglissar's son. Nabonidus regarded Neriglissar as a duly authorized king, but regarded the two sons as illegitimate usurpers. Belshazzar was Nabonidus' son. Furthermore, both Neriglissar and Nabonidus were Nebuchadnezzar's sons-in-law, and in line with general biblical usage could be regarded as his sons in terms of family relationships. As the Insight book (Vol. 1, p. 815) states:

Genealogical Use of Father?s Name. Ancestry of a man was customarily traced back through the father, not through the mother. Thus, whereas there seems to be sound reason for believing that Luke presents Jesus? genealogy through his mother (an exception to the general rule), Luke does not list her. Apparently he lists her husband Joseph as the son of Heli, evidently Mary?s father. This would not be improper in the least, since Joseph would be Heli?s son-in-law.

In view of the above, Belshazzar was Nebuchadnezzar's real grandson.

: Not all of the subsequent 'kings of Babylon' were of Neb's family and I respectfully and humbly draw your attention to the comment made on this point in the WBC,1995,27:50 wherein:"The Nebuchadnezzar dynasty outlined in v.7 does not match what is known about Babylon's kings from ancient sources." Further, Lundbom in his commentary ABD,2004,21B:316 " is not to be taken literally, it simply denotes three generations...And the time period is indefinite...until Babylon fell to Cyrus, the Persian and neither was a blood relative of Nebuchadnezzer" So, even Cyrus was properly a 'king of Babylon' as similarly attested by archaeological evidence.

I have to wonder what material you left out in the ellipses. Please post scans from your sources, or we will have to dismiss your claims based on your partial citations.

In any case, in the above material I've shown that the comments of your sources are irrelevant. There is no argument whatsoever that the five kings after Nebuchadnezzar were part of his dynasty, or line. There is no question that one of these was Nebuchadnezzar's son. There is no question that two of these kings were his sons-in-law, and therefore legitimately classed as his sons by the Society's own arguments. Similary, there is no question that Belshazzar can, by biblical usage, be said to be Nebuchadnezzar's grandson.

And now for the coup-de-grace:

The Watchtower of January 1, 1965 completely confirms my above arguments (pp. 29-30):

BABYLON?S LAST DYNASTY OF SEMITE KINGS

Nebuchadnezzar was now growing old, and eyes began to turn toward a successor for him. By his Median queen Amytis Nebuchadnezzar had his first son, Evil-merodach. He had two sons-in-law, Neriglissar and Nabonidus. The latter was the husband of Nitocris, Nebuchadnezzar?s daughter by his wife of the same name. This marriage produced Belshazzar, who was therefore a grandson of Nebuchadnezzar and a great-grandson of Nabopolassar, the founder of the last dynasty of Semite kings of Babylon.

. . .

Evil-merodach reigned two years and was murdered by his brother-in-law Neriglissar, who reigned for four years, which time he spent mainly in building operations. His underage son Labashi-Marduk, a vicious boy, succeeded him, and was assassinated within nine months. Nabonidus, who had served as governor of Babylon and who had been Nebuchadnezzar?s favorite son-in-law, took the throne and had a fairly glorious reign until Babylon fell in 539 B.C.E. . .

Nabonidus set up a second capital for Babylonia at the oasis of Tema in Arabia. In the third year of his reign he made Belshazzar coregent. While Nabonidus was absent from Babylon and down south in Tema, Belshazzar officiated in Babylon as second ruler of the land.

: Point 3.

: 2 Chroniicles 36:20 is supposed by you to prove absolutely that Jeremiah's seventy years ended not later than 539 BCE. Honestly, the text does not say this and this is merely your interpretation.

As I have shown, there really is nothing much to interpret. If I tell you that I'll be in Sydney until 2:00 pm June 15th, and I keep my word, then I will not be in Sydney after that date and time.

Similarly, the text states that the Jews servants to Nebuchadnezzar and his sons until the royalty of Persia began to reign. Assuming that the text is correct, therefore, the Jews were not servants to Nebuchadnezzar and his line after the royalty of Persia began to reign.

Simple. But not for you, because you have an agenda that doesn't allow you to accept facts that conflict with your tradition.

: The text clearly states the cessation of sevitude to Babylon ended when the royalty of Persia began to reign. It does not say when the royalty of Babylon ceased.

It doesn't have to. It's completely obvious to any normal student of history. The royalty of Babylon ceased to reign when the royalty of Persia began to reign. Obviously, when Belshazzar was killed and Nabonidus surrendured to Cyrus' army, there were no more of the royalty of Babylon reigning -- but the royalty of Persia certainly was reigning.

When did the royalty of Persia begin to reign? Obviously, when they took control of the Babylonian Empire. When was that? Let the Insight book once again explain (Vol. 1, pp. 567-8):

The cuneiform tablets found by archaeologists, though not giving details concerning the exact manner of the conquest, do confirm the sudden fall of Babylon to Cyrus. According to the Nabonidus Chronicle, in what proved to be the final year of Nabonidus? reign (539 B.C.E.) in the month of Tishri (September-October), Cyrus attacked the Babylonian forces at Opis and defeated them. The inscription continues: "The 14th day, Sippar was seized without battle. Nabonidus fled. The 16th day, Gobryas (Ugbaru), the governor of Gutium and the army of Cyrus entered Babylon without battle. Afterwards Nabonidus was arrested in Babylon when he returned . . . In the month of Arahshamnu [Marchesvan (October-November)], the 3rd day, Cyrus entered Babylon." (Ancient Near Eastern Texts, p. 306) By means of this inscription, the date of Babylon?s fall can be fixed as Tishri 16, 539 B.C.E., with Cyrus? entry 17 days later, occurring on Marchesvan 3.

: The focus of this verse is not on Babylon, the old World Power but a new World Power, Medo-Persia.

Wrong. It focuses on both Babylon and Persia. Note the passage again:

"Furthermore, he carried off those remaining from the sword captive to Babylon, and they came to be servants to him and his sons until the royalty of Persia began to reign."

Who is the "him and his sons" that the Jews were servants to? The king of Babylon, Nebuchadnezzar, and his sons. Duh.

Your comment is irrelevant to the discussion.

: The text does not immediately give a year for this event but the immediate context certainly does.

Precisely: the royalty of Persia, as the Insight book states, began to reign in 539 B.C.

: It shows quite clearly that this event, the royalty of Persia is linked with Cyrus

Right, just as the Insight book states. When Cyrus entered the city and became the de facto king, the royalty of Persia certainly began to reign.

: and the issuing of the decree at the ' beginning 'of his reign.

You're copying your Mommy's tricks, I see. 2 Chronicles says nothing about the "beginning" of Cyrus' reign. In 36:22 it mentions Cyrus' first year, whereas in 36:20 it speaks of when the royalty of Persia began to reign. There is a big difference. The beginning of Cyrus' reign was his accession year, 539 B.C. His first year ran from Nisan to Nisan, 538 to 537 B.C. Once again, the Insight book supports these dates (Vol. 1, p. 568):

Cyrus? Decree for the Return of the Exiles. By his decreeing the end of the Jewish exile, Cyrus fulfilled his commission as Jehovah?s ?anointed shepherd? for Israel. (2Ch 36:22, 23; Ezr 1:1-4) The proclamation was made "in the first year of Cyrus the king of Persia," meaning his first year as ruler toward conquered Babylon. The Bible record at Daniel 9:1 refers to "the first year of Darius," and this may have intervened between the fall of Babylon and "the first year of Cyrus" over Babylon. If it did, this would mean that the writer was perhaps viewing Cyrus? first year as having begun late in the year 538 B.C.E. However, if Darius? rule over Babylon were to be viewed as that of a viceroy, so that his reign ran concurrent with that of Cyrus, Babylonian custom would place Cyrus? first regnal year as running from Nisan of 538 to Nisan of 537 B.C.E.

In view of the Bible record, Cyrus? decree freeing the Jews to return to Jerusalem likely was made late in the year 538 or early in 537 B.C.E. This would allow time for the Jewish exiles to prepare to move out of Babylon and make the long trek to Judah and Jerusalem (a trip that could take about four months according to Ezr 7:9) and yet be settled "in their cities" in Judah by "the seventh month" (Tishri) of the year 537 B.C.E.

Since everyone agrees that Cyrus' first year began in Nisan (early spring) 538 B.C., the very latest that even Watchtower apologists can claim that the royalty of Persia began to reign is that date. Therefore, it cannot be argued that the royalty of Persia began to reign at the end of Cyrus' first year, since this would be absurd. Even less can it be argued that this royalty began to reign in the middle of Cyrus' second year, which would be when the Watchtower Society argues the Jews had returned to their cities and complete the claimed 70 year period of desolation of Judah.

Yet this is precisely the absurd argument you and Shearman try to make:

: So it is that in verse 22 our attention is drawn to the fact that Jeremiah's prophecy is referred to and fulfilled not at the time or year of Babylon''s Fall but that of the first year of Cyrus which began after 539 BCE It was in that very first year that the decree to release the exiles in Babylon and so it was that they returned home bu Tishri in 537BCE fulfilling Jeremiah's seventy years.

But this argument is absolutely gibberish. You make no attempt to assign precise dates to anything, because you know perfectly well that if you did, even you couldn't make sense of it. So as usual, you assign it to a fuzzy never-never-land where facts and figures don't exist.

: Not one of your three points proves your proposition that the seventy years ended in 539

They all do. But your absurd, contradictory arguments -- arguments that contradict many specific Watchtower teachings -- don't even begin to address the points I made.

: for if it was the case then I am sure most scholars would be similarly converted to your theory.

I think that plenty of scholars would be if they saw the arguments. Jack Finegan certainly accepts the basic conclusion that the 70 years ended in 539 B.C. Conversely, no scholars in the world accept Watchtower claims about the 70 years or their other Neo-Babylonian dates.

But that's really not relevant. What is relevant is that I have proved my points using both secular and Watchtower literature, and your counterarguments are either absolute gibberish or are demonstrably false.

Readers will note that you once again show your gross hypocrisy by using the argument from authority. No matter the weight of authority shown to you by various posters, you fail to accept it. Yet you demand that I need such weight of authority for my arguments to hold water. Of course, even if every scholar in the world disagreed with your claims, you still wouldn't accept their judgments -- you've already demonstrated that.

: At best, scholars accept the idea that the seventy years belong to Babylon but they disagree as to its chronology.

So what? Argument from authority again?

: But all of the Bible writers attest to the fact that the seventy years belong to Judah, Jerusalem, its Temple and its people and is a definite period of desolation-servitude-exile.

Absolutely false, as I've demonstrated.

: There is no fuzziness in rendering 'at Babylon' rather than 'for Babylon'.

Of course there is. The fact that you refuse to see it is diagnostic only of the sort of mental defect that long membership in the JW cult usually induces -- a thoroughly Orwellian inablity to understand or acknowledge any bit of information inimical to Mommy. See below for nice description.

: To the contrary, in that entire letter, Babylon is associated with various prepositions, many of which give a locative sense. The phrase 'in accord with' properly puts the focus not on Babylon but the fulfillment of that period namely seventy years because it is that entity that Jeremiah earlier referred to in chapter 25 which was marked by desolation and servitude to and in Babylon

These arguments have been blown away too many times already to do it again. Poof!

: You now raise the matter of a so-called inconsistency as if you have not enough holes to fill in the Jonsson hypothesis as per a definte date for the beginning of the seventy years and a definite year for the Fall of Jerusalem.

There are no holes. Given some assumptions similar to the Society's, and combining these with solid secular and biblical data, the 70 years began in 609 B.C., ended in 539 B.C. and Jerusalem was destroyed in 587 B.C. Jack Finegan agrees with these dates. Jonsson has given a thorough treatment of them, and his scholarly contacts agree. And I've shown above that even the Watchtower Society's own words provide independent confirmation of the 587 date.

: The Society is quite correct in claiming that the seventy years is a period of desolation and captivity to Babylon, these events are and must be wholly commensurate.which proves the soundness of our exegesis.

This is not only absolute gibberish, but an extremely amusing circular argument. First, it amounts to claiming that 69.5 equals 70.0. I've already shown why. The fact that you don't refer to numbers proves that you don't want to deal with facts, and that's why you've resorted to gibberish. Second, the argument is circular because you're claiming that your sound exegesis proves that 69.5 equals 70.0, which proves that your exegesis is sound.

It's no wonder you flunked out of your Masters program.

: It is the fact of their consistency and their definition respect to chronology which is the ace in the hole.

Achieving consistency by ignoring fact is self-defeating. You ignore lots of facts, biblical and otherwise, as I've demonstrated in these posts.

: Your reasoning about the time in months of the journey to and from Babylon is spuriuous.

So you can explain why 69.5 equals 70.0! Let's see you do it!

Oops, you can't, so you dive right back into a complete bit of irrelevancy:

: The fact of the matter is that from the time of the desolation of the land without an inhabitant until the reoccupation of the exiles was exactly seventy years right to the very month Tishri.

Which does nothing whatsoever to justify any of your claims, because my point was that if such desolation lasted 70.0 years, the exile, being shorter by the roundtrip time from Judah to Babylon had to be 6-8 months shorter -- a point that you've simply ignored.

Tell us now, scholar pretendus and Mr. Shearman: how can the periods of desolation and exile be the same length?

: Rather than dwelling on such stupidity

In his novel Nineteen Eighty-Four, George Orwell described the sort of doublethink that occurs in people who resort to such thought-stopping techniques. Because of threats of punishment from the Watchtower organization, and the teaching that the Governing Body speaks for God, whenever clear errors in organizational teachings or policies are pointed out to Witnesses, they will either refuse to acknowledge them or deny their importance. They deny it even to themselves, to avoid an intolerable internal conflict between what they know deep down to be the truth and what they have been taught. The denial is automatic and almost unconscious, because they have been trained this way from their earliest experience with the Watchtower Society. In addition to doublethink, the process is strongly reminiscent of another kind of mental gymnastic George Orwell described:

A Party member is required to have not only the right opinions, but the right instincts. Many of the beliefs and attitudes demanded of him are never plainly stated, and could not be stated without laying bare the contradictions inherent in Ingsoc. If he is a person naturally orthodox (in Newspeak a goodthinker), he will in all circumstances know, without taking thought, what is the true belief or the desirable emotion. But in any case an elaborate mental training, undergone in childhood and grouping itself round the Newspeak words crimestop, blackwhite, and doublethink, makes him unwilling and unable to think too deeply on any subject whatever.

. . . The first and simplest stage in the discipline, which can be taught even to young children, is called, in Newspeak, crimestop. Crimestop means the faculty of stopping short, as though by instinct, at the threshold of any dangerous thought. It includes the power of not grasping analogies, of failing to perceive logical errors, of misunderstanding the simplest arguments if they are inimical to Ingsoc, and of being bored or repelled by any train of thought which is capable of leading in a heretical direction. Crimestop, in short, means protective stupidity. But stupidity is not enough. On the contrary, orthodoxy in the full sense demands a control over one's own mental processes as complete as that of a contortionist over his body. [Part 2, Ch. IX; pp. 212-13 hardcover; pp. 174-5 paperback]

: I suggest that you expend your considerable intellectual ego in trying to solve the problem of 'months' in connection with your proposed Fall of Jerusalem in 586/587, 586, 587?

This has already been done by Carl Jonsson. You have his book GTR. You and Shearman must read it again.

: scholar JW

Who flunked out of his Masters course.

AlanF

• unbeliever
    unbeliever
    Who flunked out of his Masters course.

I was wondering why he stopped signing his posts "scholar BA MA Studies in Religion"

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

In his post to Leolaia, scholar finally drops a number of Biblical references from Gesenius' lexicon (which edition or revision?), in order to show that the Hebrew preposition le- can be used in Hebrew as a static locative (corresponding to "in" or "at").

Here are a few comments on everyone of those occurrences from the perspective of more recent Hebrew scholarship: keep in mind that the general structure of Gesenius' work (still maintained in its revisions) reflects the scholarship of the early 19th century (why does time matter in Hebrew scholarship? Cf. http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/10/87714/1532426/post.ashx#1532426).

- Genesis 4:7; Numbers 11:10, fixed expression le-petach, already discussed (http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/10/90425/1524343/post.ashx#1524343). Of the very same kind 2 Chronicles 35:15, in a still more elaborate distributive expression, le-sha`ar wa-sha`ar, "to each gate"; Ezekiel 40:16, liphenima la-sha`ar saviv saviv, on the inside of (in relation to) the gate all around. Even farther from a free use of le-, le-yad she`arim in Proverbs 8:3, "at-the-hand of (= beside) the gates" uses the idiomatic stereotyped expression le-yad, which only as a whole (exocentrical meaning; i.e. not le- alone) has a locative sense (besides).
    - Genesis 49:13 and Judges 5:17, on the shore of the sea, fit nicely into the pattern pointed out by Jenni, namely orientation within a (here land vs. sea) bipolar opposition. In Psalm 41:7 the clearly adverbial lachuç, "outside", marks the opposite orientation within the same general pattern. Interestingly it is combined with the directional he in 2 Chronicles 32:5, lachuça(h).
    In Numbers 20:24: the relation is much better explained as logical than local: you rebelled against my command about / in the case of the waters of Meriba (cf. http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/10/87714/1531396/post.ashx#1531396).
    Joshua 12:23: in the definite context of a list le- connects some of the (supposed) place-names with specific regions, ascribing them to the region more than situating them into it (just to illustrate this subtle nuance, le has approximately the function of a dotted line in a chart, rather than of a dot on the map). Of course it may easily be translated as a locative, but this is not how it is construed in Hebrew.
    Judges 5:16: For, as for, to, i.e. among the clans of Reuben (strictly ethnical, not geographical designation) there were great searchings of heart. Not locative at all.
    1 Kings 1:23: he did obeisance to the king -> relation, orientation, not locative.
    1 Kings 6:30, The floor of the house he overlaid with gold, (le-) the inner and (le-) outer rooms, here we have an interesting case of polarity which illustrates both the use of le-observed by Jenni and the well-known Hebrew use of juxtaposing antonyms to indicate totality (i.e. all the house, inward and outward; cf. all the people, from the smaller to the greater, etc.)
    Isaiah 10:23: wrong reference (no le-).
    Isaiah 51:14, lexical polysemy and grammatical problems intertwined: if shachath means "prison," then "to die le-shachath" is just another case of orientation within the polarity "inside / outside"; if on the other hand shachath means the underworld, then le implies finality.
    Hosea 5:1: note the parallelism: "you (the priests) have been a snare to Mizpah, and a net spread upon (perusa `al) Tabor" -- the common translation "at Mizpah" misses the dynamical orientation or action apparent in both Hebrew expressions: the action of priests affected Mizpah and Tabor.

This is not to say that many of those texts cannot be translated with a static locative: this is often the best solution for stylistical reasons. No translation can accurately reflect both the general meaning and detailed form of the original; even the most literal versions have to give up the original form in order to be barely understandable in the target language. When the translator aims at being anymore reader-friendly s/he has to break free from the original structure -- but s/he must first analyse correctly what s/he will break free from, in order to preserve the meaning. For instance, in Jeremiah 29:10 "by the fulfilling of seventy years for Babylon" can be better translated (stylistically) "when the seventy years of Babylon are fulfilled". The structure is different but the meaning is the same (as illustrated by the interchangeable use of le- and genitive / possessive with ml' + duration). However, "at Babylon" gives a completely different meaning -- and there lies the real problem.

Edit: on Jeremiah 3:17 and 51:49 (which scholar referred to in another response to Alleymom) see my earlier posts
    http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/10/90425/1522019/post.ashx#1522019
    http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/10/87714/1531452/post.ashx#1531452

• toreador
    toreador

Who is Shearman? What are his credentials?

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

Shearman popped up in scholar's posts on page 12 of this thread. According to the author (scholar), the Shearman character is a JW elder who has some knowledge of Hebrew.

Some of us already had a few guesses at this development. Hillary step suggested that "Shearman" was the one manipulating our scholar puppet from behind the scene; I suggested a true JW could do so if scholar himself is not a baptised JW. Now, along the same line, I doubt that "Shearman" is a real name -- if it is, scholar just outed him to the local WT lurkers.

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Narkissos,

Some of us already had a few guesses at this development. Hillary step suggested that "Shearman" was the one manipulating our scholar puppet from behind the scene.

One thing that led me to suspect a long while ago that Scholar-Puppet ( lol....I just love that handle ) had help in his contributions was the erratic grammatical excesses in some of his posts which were not to be seen in others. Of course he may have been drunk on the 'heady wine' of true religion and posted in a religious fervor, which may also account for his slaughter of the English language.

I suspect that these other posts and additional material were edited by Puppet-Master Shearman for his student, though I may be mistaken

I also noted on a number of occasions that an almost defeated Scholar-Puppet returned a few days later with a renewed confidence, waving his Gesenius or Wigram around his head like a desert Arab does his sabre. Unfortunately it was usually to make yet another attempt at understanding his own posts which have lately become so contradictory that I wonder which position he is trying to attack, and which he is defending.

Mind you, what do I know, I am just a wily-poztate who actually did not fail his exams.

Best regards - HS

• scholar
    scholar

Alan F

Response to post 4073

Nope! Your exegesis of Zechariah 7:5 is fanciful. Your claim that the FDS teaches that there are two 'seventy year' periods is hysterical. The publication Paradise Restored to Mankind- clearly sets out the many fasts which the exiles commemorated annually during the seventy years from the Fall of Jerusalem right up to the time of 519 BCE. In other words those annual fasts of mourning were of events that reminded the exiles of Jehovah's judgements against them. This seventy year period of exile was a constant reminder of the contemporaneous desolation of their homeland and was memorialized by a seventy year period of mourning as demonstrated by the annual fastings. As shown by the footnote on page 237 this sole seventy year period could only have begun after the Fall of Jerusalem and not to some previous airy-fairy event unknown to apostates because that seventy yeras period was a constant reminder odf events that occured during and after the Fall of Jerusalem.

Because the now returned exiles were continuously fasting does not prove that there was another seventy year period independent of Jeremialh's seventy years. The exiles were simply following a tradition, a tradition that during their exile of seventy years they reminded themselves of their loss. Proof of the fact that the seventy years mentioned by the angel was in fact the seventy yeras of exile and of desolation of the land is that the angel continues from verse 7 which refers back to their former uninhabited land.

Similarly, the rest of the oracle from verses 8-14 clearly demonstrate the results of not obeying Jehovah which resulted in their deporation and the desolation of the land. Contextually, this chapter can only refer to that sole seventy years spoken by Jeremiah and Daniel marked by exile, desolation, servitude and mourning from 607 until 537BCE.

scholar JW

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

Scholar just wrote:

The publication Paradise Restored to Mankind- clearly sets out the many fasts which the exiles commemorated annually during the seventy years from the Fall of Jerusalem right up to the time of 519 BCE.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia
    At last you admit to fluidity with Hebrew syntax and that there are few rules in this respect but Jenni would have us believe something different.

pseudo-scholar....No, I said nothing of the sort. I said that there are rules, in fact the whole grammar is composed of rules and lexical data, but the rules are violable to different degrees. Thus you can have disjunct rules where one or the other applies. Or some rules apply only if other rules apply, some may be blocked by other rules, or others may apply stochastically. Just because the syntax seems fluid to the observer doesn't mean there aren't rules. And much of what is called fluid by laypeople is simply the result of other rules that have not been recognized as such. For instance, word order in Russian may seem to be very fluid as to where the subject or object or direct object goes in the sentence. But it is not unordered or random. The fluidity is simply the result of fronting rules which move constituents to the beginning of the clause for discursive effect (e.g. topic and focus). See the book by Tracy H. King on Topic and Focus in Russian for a full delineation of the rules governing this.

You have fundamentally misunderstood Jenni's work for you to say that Jenni "would have us believe something different", e.g. that Hebrew syntax is not fluid. As I pointed out above, fluidity is in the eye of the beholder. Even the seemingly random flow of water (chaos) is the result of a complex interplay of rules. Some rules are easy to define; others are hard. No one has successfully parsed out all the rules of a given language (tho many have tried), so we are nowhere we need to be now to be able to define the complex interplay between rules in a living language. King (and others like her) is able to produce rules that can synchronically produce an aspect of the grammar of Russian; these are generative rules. That is because Russian is a living language, so we have a nearly endless source of data and native-speaker intuitions of what's grammatical to confirm and verify the accuracy of the rules. Jenni doesn't do the same for Hebrew, which is a non-existent language today and for which we are limited to a finite corpus of data without any native-speaker intuitions (modern Israeli Hebrew doesn't count). Instead he produced an exhaustive descriptive account of the preposition le, which documents le's various patterns of use in different constructions as attested in the OT. One may view the wide array of uses of le as fluidity. Or one may view it as involving a multiplicity of rules governing the many different nuances. It is easy to produce descriptive rules on the basis of Jenni's work (e.g. I would supply lexical entries for le and ml' with functional annotations indicating relational information; then phrase structure rules would combine these words in constituent structure and the functional structure of the clause would combine the functional data for le and ml' from the lexical entries in the right way to produce the right sense), but these are not the same as the actual generative rules of ancient Hebrew.

You keep asking for rules but fail to realize that such rules would be based exactly on the data that Jenni provides. Any syntactic pattern can be formalized into a descriptive rule, and just because no one has yet formalized a pattern into a rule doesn't mean the pattern doesn't exist or isn't motivated by generative rules. For instance, you may think of Cowell's Rule on anarthrous predicate nouns in ancient Greek. But this too is a descriptive rule; it is based on an observed pattern in a corpus of Koine Greek. Jenni did not opt to formalize the patterns he described into rules but that has no bearing on the intrinsic worth of his findings.

His research is interesting but Jenni is not a translator and could it really be said that his scholarship is superior to other scholars such as Gesenius or Rolf Furuli.

You gotta be joking, right?

Section 2: Expressing locality, at, near idiom in phrases =before, 1 Ki.1:23; but very oft. otherwise Is.10;23. in the sight of, at the entrance of, Gn 4:7, Nu 11:10, in oither rarer connexions, Nu 20:24, Ju 5:16, Gen 49:13, Ju 5:17, Pro 8:3, Ho 5:1, 2Chron 35:15, =within, 1Ki 6:30, Ez 40:16.

Section 9B:More rarely 'le' is used- 1. of rest, or tarriance at a place, or in a place like the Gr,eis,iv and the Germ zu for in and an eg. at ones side, at some one's right hand, at the door of his tent, Nu 11:10, at the entrance of the city, Prov 8:3, by the seashore Gen 49:13, at the eyes ie before the eyes, in the sight of anyone. This usage is yet more widely extended by the poets and later writers who sometimes put lamed for the common beth eg Ps 41:7, and 2Chron 32:5, without, outside;Jos 12:23; at Mizpah, Hos 5:1, in the pit, ie in prison, Isa 51:14

So I see you refused to follow my plainly-stated request:

When you cite your examples, please make sure they have at least two of the following properties:

• They locate a verbal EVENT or TIME PERIOD in a spatial location.
    • The le-phrase is governed by a FULFILL type verb like ml', and especially one that is as a qal infinitive construct.
    • The FULFILL type verb has a TIME PERIOD as its complement.

None of these examples locate an EVENT spatially or involve FULFILL verbs. Thus your examples fail to demonstrate that a static local meaning of le is appropriate to the grammatical context of Jeremiah 29:10.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit