Daniel's Prophecy, 605 BCE or 624 BCE?

by Little Bo Peep 763 Replies latest watchtower bible

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Scholar,

This appeal to authority is funny per se. The best scholarship in the world would not convince scholar, but a single anonymous line in a WT publication would. Instantaneously.

I do not think in all the months that we have bantered has anybody described so concisely a cameo of your motivation and intellectual ethics as is contained in the above statement.

I think that you should thank Narkissos for showing you so clearly to yourself without calling into question your sanity.

HS

• scholar
    scholar

hilary-step

I endeavour to make use of the best scholarship available and try to keep up to date with research. I am very interested in Jenni's material and it is rather frustrating that his book is not in English but one must do the best with what one has. It is rather a pity that Leolaia has sabotaged a simple query by not dealing singularly with my questions and I believe that it shows the wicked intentions of apostates in their desperation to hide the truth.

It will be interesting to see if in fact Leolaia and her supporters will post that original letter to Jenni and his reply which was first used in the GTR. I sokehow suspect that that letter, the author and date will not come to light. If this is the case then a shadow of bias will be cast over Jenni's researchj and opinion on Jeremiah 29:10.

scholar JW

• aniron
    aniron

Scholar

Why are you such a bad loser?

It doesn't go your way so what do you do, you take the typical Watchtower line.

Call everyone else a liar, cast suspicion on peoples honesty, except your own precious misguided Watchtower organisations views.

For Gods sake for once in your life be HONEST.

Beats me how the hell you can live with such a negative dishonest way of thinking.

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

Scholar

Soooo... You mean Jonsson's initial exchange with Jenni, as clearly referred to by Leolaia on page 5 of this thread?

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/10/87714/1475684/post.ashx#1475684

For the record, please note that I picked up the issue of Jeremiah 29:10 in page 4 of this thread and that the research I presented was completely independent (I post from home and do not have Jenni's book at hand). I only learnt about Jenni's involvement in the issue through Leolaia's post.

Breathe in... breathe out... and try to think somewhere in between.

• jst2laws
    jst2laws

Scholar, If ever there was a "debate over words" trying to establish a convoluted doctrine and date that no other scholarship supported, this is it. Leolaia, Excellent, again. Jst2laws

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Scholar,

I endeavour to make use of the best scholarship available and try to keep up to date with research. I am very interested in Jenni's material and it is rather frustrating that his book is not in English but one must do the best with what one has. It is rather a pity that Leolaia has sabotaged a simple query by not dealing singularly with my questions and I believe that it shows the wicked intentions of apostates in their desperation to hide the truth.

I have to say that I am pleasantly suprised that you have not *as yet* restorted to your usual modus operandi when completely side-swiped as you have been in this debate and made your customary pronouncement, - "you people are atheists - how could you possibly understand the brilliant theology of the WTS".

The problem is that you have replaced this faulty methodology with another one, that of blaming everybody but yourself for the trouncing that you have received in this thread.

People who are not close to the issue often wonder why the IRA in Northern Ireland have not over the past four decades removed Ian Paisley from the planet. The fact is that his ridiculous bigotry and shallow theology serve as a recruiting agent for his enemies. Why would they want him removed?

In similar vein, I encourage you to spend much more time than you do on this Board. Your posts and subsequently revealed ethics, are making more 'apostates' than you could possibly imagine.

Many thanks - HS

• scholar
    scholar

Narkissos

So you claim that the original letter originated with Jonsson and was dated Oct 1, 2003 however Jenni says that the inquiry was from Germany not Sweden which is Jonsson.s residence. Whatever the case that original inquiry with the author's name should be posted.

You claim to have researched Jeremiah 29:10 independently of Jenni then I would appreciate the sources for your exegesis and sources for your notes on the syntax. It seems that you arecreating a new grammatical rule for the use of this preposition.

scholar JW

• Narkissos
    Narkissos
    So you claim that the original letter originated with Jonsson and was dated Oct 1, 2003 however Jenni says that the inquiry was from Germany not Sweden which is Jonsson.s residence. Whatever the case that original inquiry with the author's name should be posted.

I don't claim anything, I'm only trying (and beginning) to understand about the mysterious "original letter" you mentioned. I personally know strictly nothing about it, I guess only the author can tell you more.

You claim to have researched Jeremiah 29:10 independently of Jenni then I would appreciate the sources for your exegesis and sources for your notes on the syntax. It seems that you arecreating a new grammatical rule for the use of this preposition.

No sources here except my old Joüon's Grammar and personal research on the BHS. I for one came not with scholarly quotations, but textual facts from the Hebrew Bible. That they were later (on this this thread) confirmed by scholarly quotations is all the more interesting.

Suggestion: rely less on authority and try to learn something by direct contact with the texts.

• Alleymom
    Alleymom

In the last few days much of this discussion has moved to:

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/10/90425/1.ashx

The second thread was intended to be a pointer for this one, but there has been significant discussion there recently.

• AlanF
    AlanF

scholar pretendus said:

: I am not the smartest fellow around

No!

: and you characters in comparison to me are geniuses.

Why don't you learn from your betters?

: However, let me warn you of this sobering fact that I am very stubborn,

"Stubbornness is as iniquity and idolatry." (1 Samuel 15:23)

There is a a very big difference between between stubborn for truth or righteousness, and being stubborn because you don't want to admit that you or the object of your worship are wrong.

: open minded

LOL!

: and persistent as a dog with a bone.

I'll give you that. But you need something more than the mind of a dog to make good arguments.

: The matter of this Hebrew proposition in Jer 29:10 is of singular importance to me and has the potential of fatally destroying the Jonsson hypothesis.

: My scholarship whatever its status

Having barely passed the BA program and flunked out of your MA program, doesn't that tell you something about its status? Obviously your teachers found that you have no ability for scholarship.

: and my gut instincts

Your gut instincts are of no value whatsoever, having been formed by slavish devotion to the Watchtower cult.

: tells me that the NWT is brilliantly correct in this example.

Ditto. And you forget the history of this stupid doctrine.

: My learned friend and fellow Winess, unlettered as he is but was tutored in Hebrew by a most prominent Orthodox Hasidic Jewish family in Australia. The husband had a deep respect for the NWT and was a Dean of Mathematics and Statistics at a major University. This family enjoyed many hours of biblical discussion on the sabbath and valued highly the WT publications. I must seek his opinion on this verse and that of my learned brother.

You do that. And when you do, and you find -- just as I did when I consulted some Hasiddim and other Jewish scholars several years ago on this very subject -- that the standard translation of Jeremiah 29:10 is correct, and the NWT is wrong, you'll ignore it, and stubbornly go on, pretending that your friend is somehow misled by apostates.

: Predictably, I have found something of significance in the NWT in the verse that is mentioned by Jenni and confirmed by Lundbom in his commentary and I am surpised that the apostate troika has not picked it up. I am in the process of spinning it out and see where it goes. The expression 'the elephant in the living room' is applicable here.

Yes, and I suspect that you've already presented this "something of significance" in Alleymom's latest thread, and as usual, have been thoroughly shot down, and proved yet again to have not a shred of integrity or a whit of scholarly bent.

: By the way, I will be studying the Jenni's article on Jeremiah 3:17 even if I have to arrange for a English translation to be made because I believe it is seminal to this discussion.

You do that. And be prepared to be mocked yet again for your stupidity and gross stubbornness in the face of unassailable facts.

AlanF

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit