WTS admits slanting scriptures

by Bluegrass Tom 14 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Bluegrass Tom
    Bluegrass Tom

"Furthermore, the remnant of spiritual Israel had for decades ... been looking forward to the ending of the Times of the Gentiles in the autumn of 1914. They were expecting God's Messianic Kingdom to be fully established in the heavens by then and also for the remnant of spiritual Israel to be glorified with Jesus Christ in the heavenly kingdom at that time. All understanding of the Holy Scriptures was slanted in that direction or adjusted to that idea." Man's Salvation Out Of World Distress At Hand, 1975, P.136.

• Neo
    Neo

Oh boy, what a priceless quote! Guess we have nothing to add. They say it all.

"Furthermore, the remnant of spiritual Israel had for decades ... been looking forward to the ending of the Times of the Gentiles in the autumn of 1914. They were expecting God's Messianic Kingdom to be fully established in the heavens by then and also for the remnant of spiritual Israel to be glorified with Jesus Christ in the heavenly kingdom at that time. All understanding of the Holy Scriptures was slanted in that direction or adjusted to that idea." Man's Salvation Out Of World Distress At Hand, 1975, P.136.

Neo

• Buster
    Buster

I spent time this past weekend reading that book (Man, I need another hobby). Its jammed with 1914, 1918, 607 BCE stuff - all the same warmed-over BS they had been souting since Sputnick. Of course, since it was published in 1975, it has that galring lack of 1975 references.

But that quote is interesting in that it feels like they are admitting something. But at the base of it, they are lying. As 1914 approached, they were expecting the full establishment of the Kingdom on earth - not just invisibly in heaven. They thought they were already in the last of the last days, not about to begin them. They just couldn't see how this 'system' could last much longer.

To the writer, it probably seemed expedient to admit to a little slanting in order to appear open and honest.

Lying bastards.

• Neo
    Neo
    To the writer, it probably seemed expedient to admit to a little slanting in order to appear open and honest.

Good observation!

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

Lying bastards.

I'll ask you to watch your language! I don't think there's any need to be throwing words like "writer" around when referencing the Watchtower!

(Maybe "propagandist"?)

Dave

• GetBusyLiving
    GetBusyLiving

LMAO Dave!!

• Ticker
    Ticker

Yes I see they still tell a half truth as they fail to disclose what the true feelings were at the time of 1914 and prior. According to Russell's belief 1914 was indeed supposed to be the physical end of this current system, basically armagedon was supposed to have occured in 1914. It was only till after this prediction failed that it was later mended to instead be the sign of Christ's invisible reign. As far as I know they have yet to ever admit that they held such ideas, they keep glossing over that fact and acting as if it was never a part of their doctrine. This too me is a real lack of credibility on their part from day one. Good observation Buster.

Ticker

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

Amazing how easy it is to recognize the faults of our predecesors, but be blind of the same bias in ourselves. They here are admitting the slanting of scripture done by the past generation of JWs but could never see that the exact same mentality and predilection is at work in their writings today.

• rebel8
    rebel8

TY, Bluegrass for that quote! It is awesome. I will be using it often in my anti-witnessing.

• A Paduan
    A Paduan

They were expecting to be "glorified" by then - must have earnt it then eh

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit