Thinkin' of moving to Texas......

by target 26 Replies latest jw friends

• beebee
    beebee

I think you should go to the Dallas Crawfish boil Apostofest next month and meet a whole bunch of folks you can quiz. The weather then should be quite pleasant and you can take a week, and maybe check out Houston and other cities. Definitely make time for San Antonio, I think it's one of the best locations for a family vacation in the country. Why? Because there is a ton of touristy things to do and most are very, very reasonable. Not at all like Orlando where a week can cost you in excess of $5000. It's also very pretty.

SA is why I ended up in Texas. I hated California and wanted to make a change. After whittling down the list of criteria, the Southwest made the most sense. I wasn't impressed with Dallas (too flat and too urban) but loved SA. When I talked to friends about Texas, everyone said "Austin is a better match for you." I moved here sight unseen and not knowing a soul. I've been here 3 1/2 years and I can't go anywhere without running into someone I know. It IS that friendly.

San Antonio is far less expensive and larger than Austin, but life there is a slower pace, more conservative, and more heavily influenced by the strong military and hispanic presence. Like I said, different, not inferior, just different. Wages are lower and I suspect you have to be far more careful about which neighborhood you choose there.

There is also a large expanse of "Hill Country" in between SA and Austin. True country land and reasonably priced lake, creek or river frontage as well. Most of that is quite commutable to either city. The trees here are oaks and cedars, no pines.

One of the cooler aspects to Texas is how fast the microclimates can change. We have everything, beautiful pine forests, swamps, lakes, hills (there are "sort of mountains" closer to far west Texas), desserts, canyons, prairies, etc. There is a lot of diversity. If you like to be outdoors there is a ton of stuff to do.

Oh..and as stated above, no income taxes.

I suspect the quality of schools will vary but that info is published (I just got the updated report on my daughter's high school on Sat. 1% drop out rate and test scores far above state averages. Here they categorize schools and her school and district are "recognized," that just means that a certain percentage were above the state standard on the tests. I'd say my kids have had more good teachers than bad as compared to CA, but the administrators still have a high percentage of "morons."...

• TresHappy
    TresHappy

Houston is SO big...the burbs are OK. I love the Woodlands!

• target
    target

I guess I need the information then on the Dallas Apostofest. My husband and I have tentative plans to visit Texas in April, but have not chosen any dates yet.

All the information so far has been really helpful. We are not "city" people and would not live in Houston. We are looking at the area of the Woodlands and north to Conroe and that surrounding area north of Houston, but nothing is for sure yet. I want to see green again, and I don't mean these damn cactus. Anything that grows in Arizona, no matter how pretty, is nasty to get close to. Everything bites back.

KLS- move back to Wisconsin? I put in my 50+ years there. We sold the snow boots and snow shovels. Don't have to shovel sun shine. Don't have to worry about slipping on the ice in the drive way and knocking myself out either. Yep, plenty of memories of Wisconsin. I don't need any more.

Target

• cruzanheart
    cruzanheart

April 30! Mudbugs & beer! My house! I'll resurrect the thread.

Nina

• Roo
    Roo

Target,
    My ex-mother in law used to live in Montgomery, Texas which is right next to Conroe. She had a house right on Lake Conroe which is absolutely beautiful and surrounded by pine trees. The lake is so much fun and makes those hot sticky summers a little more bearable. I liked it because it had all the necessary things like grocery stores, etc without the crowded city feel. Houston is not too far away so you have access to culture and major events but the traffic is terrible and the breeze from the ocean makes it incredibly humid. I would highly suggest visiting there in the middle of July or August to make sure you can stand it. I think you can acclimate to anything after awhile. Best of luck in your move.

• target
    target

brtt

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

Well we moved to San Antonio in 1979 and I really hated it then, because it was so far away from my family, and I was young. Well after attending the Aposta-chilifest last year I literally fell in love with Dallas. Dallas is such a cool city and it had such an optimistic spirit to it, its hard to explain. Now in my heart home will always be in Eastern Kentucky for me, but if I had a second choice it would most definitely be Dallas. You know its really ironic but I hated Texas for so many years after we left there, and then all of a sudden I find out its the ground zero for Apostasy and im ready to move there, Y'all have a truly great city there!! Now I havent been back to San Antonio since 1980, but Im gonna try to see it again when we make our annual pilgrimage to Dallas for the Apostafest. I figure I ought to at least give it another look and see if my memory serves me correctly.

I also love the Panhandle, especially right above Amarillo, that place has lots of canyons, very rugged and very arid looking, it almost looks like a place where John Wayne would have ridden in the old western movies.

As for the Gulf Coast the only memory I have is that the water was brown and murky, maybe it was just a bad day or something. My brother told me the water in South Padre Island was absolutely gorgeous, so I will definitely have to check that out some time.

I have never been to Big Bend or El Paso, but I believe I would love this section the most as I love the desert look of West Texas. It rains so often here in Tennessee and several days can pass before you even see the sun, Thats why the Pacific Northwest doesnt really appeal to me.

Texas is a really cool state, and I hope to be down there in a month or two.

God Bless Texas,

Dave

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit