The offer that the WTS has made to you

by Bluegrass Tom 15 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Ticker
    Ticker

First off the 606 bce date was arrived in error because of the zero year between 1 bce and 1 ce. Russell erred in acounting for this zero year and so it actually came down to 1915 ce with the 2520 day for a year from 606 bce. This was left unchecked until 1943 when it was adjusted in the book "The Truth Shall Make You Free". 606 or 607 bce, it doesnt matter is still not an accurate date established by evidence but is derived so that it would fit with the 1914 chronology. They cant abandon the date 1914 because of the phrophecies they claim that followed shortly. Specifically the pivotal 1918 date in which they say Jesus came to earth to inspect all of his followers and then chose the watchtower society as his choice. To abandon 1914 for 1935 would then nullify Jesus having chosen them to take care of his earthly belongings in 1918, when they supposedly recieved a spiritual cleansing and revival. I would speculate this is the largest reason they are hesitant to shed the 1914 date but the way they have altered the meaning of the term "generation", they have bought a little breathing room for the time being. Its easier to treat the symptons then cure the problem, so its easier to adjust then abandon a position that would threaten their authority in the eyes of their followers.

Ticker

• trevor
    trevor

ithinkisee

Thanks for your comments. I am glad you found the quotes useful

doogie

I note your correction. I was trained to get dates wrong. Old habits die hard!

• ezekiel3
    ezekiel3
    why doesn't the Watchtower merely add 20 years to 1914 and say the year 1934 is the correct date?

Because 1914 is a pivotal year in history as the beginning of the Great War.

Nothing much happened in 1934.

Also this would remove the "pale horse" of the apocalypse concept. The Influenza epidemic after WW1 killed more than the war.

They can't let go of 1914 because it is an "easy sell" to recruits who don't check the illegitimacy of 607.

This is still a very active doctrine. The WT Jan 15, 2004 features a illustration in on page 18 showing the four horsemen and Satan the dragon gettin' the boot. The caption; "Do you know what happened when Christ began his conquest?" If 1914, the answer is a really big war and plague. 1934 or (insert date here) ____ can't complete with that.

• garybuss
    garybuss

They promised me in the 1950's that Armageddon would come before I was of high school age. My parents were negligent for not checking this crap out before they pushed it off on my brother and I. My own negligence went beyond my parent's level. My own stupidity discovered new lows.

• FairMind
    FairMind
    the best personal situation that we can hope for is to be remembered in the resurrection, whenever that may happen to be in the future (hundreds or perhaps thousands of years). We may not merit a resurrection at all based on Jehovah’s evaluation of us, regardless how we lived our lives.

Bluegrass, you are a little bit too pessimistic. Belief in the WT is not (as you know) what will lead to one’s salvation. If a person accepts God’s means of salvation through Jesus Christ and acts accordingly I have no doubt they will be counted in with the righteous ones who are resurrected. As for the rest of mankind maybe they too will be remembered by Jehovah and be included with the unrighteous ones whom Jesus said would be resurrected. I don’t worry about what the WTS says and I know you don’t either.

FairMind

• willyloman
    willyloman

Ticker said this:

To abandon 1914 for 1935 would then nullify Jesus having chosen them to take care of his earthly belongings in 1918, when they supposedly recieved a spiritual cleansing and revival. I would speculate this is the largest reason they are hesitant to shed the 1914 date

Good point!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit