Understanding why people leave

by Qcmbr 41 Replies latest jw friends

• Qcmbr
    Qcmbr

Hi all, just thought I'd introduce myself before I make any other posts - I'm LDS through and through 'nuff said. Why am I here, well I've been reading the posts here for over a year and I initially enjoyed them in a sneaky rival faction way (i.e. one in the eye for Jw's yehaw..)but of late I've been redaing these posts and using them to critique my own approach to my faith. I'm on the side of trying to understand just why people can leave something they've literally given 100% to and I can see so many common stories between ex-JWs and ex-LDS. I guess what I'm trying to say is I appreciate that this site exists and most of the stuff here; I've begun to use in my own life (ie seeing the person as a person not just another statistic etc..) I've even used some principles espoused here in Sunday lessons (e.g. always question everything, find your own way to God, its OK to have your own viewpoint, if its true it stands on its own merits not because I said it etc etc..)Hopefully I'll be able to add something to conversations here (especially when you mention LDS stuff.)

• GetBusyLiving
    GetBusyLiving

Nice to have you here. So why did you become a Morman?

• Country Girl
    Country Girl

Welcome Qcumber:

It's with great happiness that we welcome you. Although there is a great difference in doctrines, and theosophy, between the religions of Mormon and JW's, you will ifnd that there is not a great difference in the TECHNIQUES for belief. Both religions, at least I think we can agree on this, are high control. People respond to people with high control doctrines because of very many reasons: 1) are not confident; 2) know no other way; and 3) are especially vulnerable.

We all know that the truth is the truth is the truth. It doesn't change. That's the major problem with all these high control religions: they have to control their converts through FEAR. Fear is a weak emotion. When you live with fear, you live with instability. With Christ, you live with the certainty of what is going to happen, and the certainty that you will be saved. Jehovah's Witnesses put too much emphasis on WORKS, when Jesus plainly tells us that it shall be not through works we are saved, but through FAITH.

Thanks for coming here. I hope we can answer all your questions.

CG

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

Welcome Qcumber (cool name! )

Having an LDS around will be great, I look forward to hearing your viewpoints!

Dave

• Qcmbr
    Qcmbr

Hiya GetBusyLiving, Why did I become a Mormon? I grew up in the faith - simple as that. I did the prayer to find out if the church is true - got my answer - never really looked back (though I wobbled several times - especially after I was a missionary.) I do want to avoid 'bearing testimony'- I'm fairly certain this isn't what this site is for - but thanks for asking anyhow.

• ballistic
    ballistic

Qcmbr, I'm curious to know... are people who leave your faith treated in the same way as us, i.e. cut off from friends and family. And are they investigated for apostacy, even if they just choose to leave for no apparent reason?

• Poztate
    Poztate
    Hiya GetBusyLiving, Why did I become a Mormon? I grew up in the faith - simple as that. I did the prayer to find out if the church is true - got my answer - never really looked back (though I wobbled several times - especially after I was a missionary.) I do want to avoid 'bearing testimony'- I'm fairly certain this isn't what this site is for - but thanks for asking anyhow.

You might have a lot of explaining to do. I see that LDS is the same as JW"s in that they use a lot of language and expressions only understood by those"in the faith" You might have to explain unfamiliar terms to us and I am sure we will return the favour. Welcome to the board

• zen nudist
  • GetBusyLiving
    GetBusyLiving

Hey just so you know I'm not trying to criticize your religion or anything, I'm just curious is all. I have no idea what 'bearing testimony' means.

• Qcmbr
    Qcmbr

Are people cut off if they leave - I guess everyone's experience is different but there is nothing in our philosophy that has any form of shunning to it. The nearest we get to that is if someone is disfellowshiped they can't participate in the service (ie they cant give public talks etc) or if they get excommunicated (youve got to be fairly naughty for that:) it annuls their baptism but all in all no shunning. Now thats not to say it doesnt happen - to my shame when I was 18 one of my best friends , someone who I had relied upon for growing up stuff and a really great guy left the church and I cut him off. Not becuase I was told to, just because it hurt so much - I guess when you love your church and someone else stops feeling the same way it feels a little like they rejected you. I've grown up a bit since then but even now I still feel hurt and critically I havent reestablished contact (hmm I think maybe I should do something about that!). As a final point - the core of LDS faith is the family over and above all other commitments (except the personal relationship with God) so anyone in our faith who shuns anyone or cuts them off is just a plonka. Guilty as charged.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit