Bad news from my blood test :(

by Elsewhere 43 Replies latest jw friends

• BrendaCloutier
    BrendaCloutier
    PS: someone mentioned taking lipitor, I was using that med from my cardiologist and I was latter informed to stop taking it because it can cause neuromuscular degeneration. So now I am on a new med. call pravastatin also called pravachol,

According to my Doc, all statins can cause meuromuscular degeneration. Lipitor, as one of the "super statins" has been around longer than many of the others, and has more postFDA data. It also is less expensive than most.

I couldnt get my bad HDL down past 133 with 3 months diet/exercise, and I was already eating wisely, including oatmeal or cheerios daily! I can't exercise much because of a pain syndrome.

Doc first put me on Lipitor. Oooh the gas! My spousal unit had to wear a gas mask to bed! I went off of it. Saw doc a year later and my cholesterol was still high. So put me on Crestor and suggested GasX. The GasX worked, and so did the Crestor ... down to a total 168! I hadn't been that low in a couple of decades!

After 8 months I moved over to Lipitor because of all the FDA hoopala over Crestor. So far, so good. And so is the GasX.

Oh, and if you do go to drugs, take the at night. That is when the body produces cholesterol and when the pharmacist said is the best time to take it.

• Doubtfully Yours
    Doubtfully Yours

Go to 'WebMD' to get excellent tips on how to get cholesterol under control.

DY

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

Today at work they gave out some ice cream because this is the busy season... looks like I just enjoyed by last taste of ice cream for a long time.

• wednesday
    wednesday

Brenda,

u and I sound like we have a lot in common. I'm taing vytorin, a combo of zetia and lipitor. It has got my chol down to around 140. (and trig was over 300, now about 160) Not bad. I'm still having problems getting the bad and good chol to the right target numbers, but I I'm eating fish and avoiding junk food. I can't exercise significantly enough to reduce it. I noticed I felt better afte rmy chol and trig levels dropped.) The doc has had to put me on a long acitng pain med for chronic pain. I did not realize how bad I felt until I started on it. after u have chronic pain for so long u often don't actually realize how bad u hurt.(or remember how it felt to not have pain.)

I've heard all the stuff about the chol lowering drugs, and I tried crestror and got really bad fluid retention .

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit