the JW approach to sexual abuse

by spopeislandstyle 16 Replies latest jw experiences

• Valis
    Valis

Welcome spope...if you are interested you can contact this lawyer, who has been taking on cases just like yours. if anything she might be able to prevent other kids from being hurt.

http://www.lovenorris.com

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• Joyzabel
    Joyzabel

welcome to the board, spope.

I'm so sorry for the experiences you had while a JW. And it is sad you are not the only one to be molested and covered up by the JWs. Please contact the lawyer Valis posted and please go to the silentlambs website to "connect" with other JWs who have been abused.

I'm glad you found this place and are open minded enough to look into the false doctrines of the Watchtower.

Please get some counseling. You need it for the abuse you sufford and for being raised in a high-control-group.

Hugs,

Joy

• clementine
    clementine

happy to read you again... (and happy you feel at ease here!) If you need to talk, don't have an hesitation, post, we'll be here. But it can also be a good idea to have some counselling, as Joyzabel said,maybe it can help you to live with that difficult past.Have you ever thought about that?

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

(((spope)))

I'm sorry to hear what happened to you. I'm even sorrier to say you're not alone. That sect has allowed thousands of children to be hurt. I'm an abuse survivor myself, so I want to echo Joy's advice. I was in therapy for some time and it literally saved my life. If you do decide to see a psychologist, find one who has experience in treating adult survivors of abuse.

Love & Norris are brilliant. They are caring and know the law. I don't know which way you want to go, but if you do decide to talk to a lawyer, call them.

Chris

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

OMG! I have family in Vallejo who are jws. My Uncle is an elder. I dont think they go to the Glen Cove congregation. They live close to Marine World. But I used to live in Glen Cove but by that time I was not going to meetings.

Josie

• Doubtfully Yours
    Doubtfully Yours

Truth be told, JWs don't view sexual abuse the way "normal, sensible" people view it.

If a member, or a member's child suffers sexual or any other type of abuse, it must be considered as one of the many tribulations a true christian must endure in this wicked system of things.

In cases where the sexual abuse has been at the hands of another JW, the cover up is enormous so that there's no shame or disgrace brought upon Jehovah's name and his organization.

The WTBTS has put in writing procedures on how to deal with child abusers, but just to cover themselves up. The real procedure is to solve the problem within and as quietly as possible.

There's a Bible quotation in which the Apostle Paul says "not to bring your brothers up on charges before a court of non-believers", or something to that effect. They use this biblical text for the reasoning of not denouncing other JWs to the legal authorities when there's been abuse.

If a wife goes before the elders complaining of beatings, they try and convince her that it's her own behavior that's bringing upon her that sort of treatment, and point to her the example of other women and how they endured tribulation so in the end they won over their spouse into the organization.

Poor women and children!

DY

• franklin J
    franklin J

welcome aboard,

you are among friends here.

The experiences you have described would be difficult for an adult; much less a child to endure. You should not have to deal with this alone; find a competent therapist or counseling to help you steer through this to more secure waters. The watchtower can be an ugly organization; as you have experienced and noted. Your survival and healing to live a better life is testament that we can move on to happier times.

good luck to you, frank

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit