A quick summary of topics and issues wrong with jws

by stuckinarut2 20 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

You know how our minds often get all "fuzzy" and confused when we are put on the spot and asked to come up with points? We often tend to lose focus and go off on tangents?

Im trying to compile a basic list of bullet points for the most obvious and clear problems / doctrines / history of witnesses that can blow the org out of the water.

It is more for the purpose of getting my own thoughts clear rather than using it to talk to witnesses (as that doesn't really work)

So far I have come up with:  SO PLEASE FEEL FREE TO ADD TO THIS THREAD

* pyramidology origins 

* Beth sarim 

* specific dates / failed predictions

* United Nations issue

* changed teachings (please add specifics to this)

• snugglebunny
    snugglebunny

Judicial committee unscriptural. Jesus said the entire congregation should be involed, but then only as a last resort. see Matthew 18:.

(“If your brother or sister sins, go and point out their fault, just between the two of you. If they listen to you, you have won them over. 16 But if they will not listen, take one or two others along, so that ‘every matter may be established by the testimony of two or three witnesses.’ 17 If they still refuse to listen, tell it to the church; and if they refuse to listen even to the church, treat them as you would a pagan or a tax collector.)

• Rattigan350
    Rattigan350

Those things listed are not things wrong with jws.  They are things that past leaders did.  The past is the past.

Stick with current things such as mental manipulation and ruling by fear in order to get people to become dependant and addicted to ultimately get the money. 

• stillin
    stillin

Everything that ancient Pagans did was bad. BAD!

like breathing, for example.

• Ignoranceisbliss
    Ignoranceisbliss
    They destroy families.     Any witness can look around their local KH and count how many parents don't talk to all of their kids.   
  • done4good
    done4good

In a D/A letter I wrote several years ago, I used bullet points such as you mentioned in the post script.

I would not use that approach today, knowing what I know now. None of those things made me leave. They served as supporting evidence to myself for leaving. Real world human factors led to my decision to leave, and this is why 99% of JWs that leave, do.

A two class system, (us vs. them); misapplied or bad logic on every level; dishonesty; lack of love; a lack of integrity; etc., are the things that wake someone up eventually, when a certain personal threshold of tolerance for such things is exceeded. This cannot be forced, although these things can be highlighted in certain situations.

The best thing to do is discuss these types of concerns on forums like this one, and let folks come here on their own volition. This is the real difference maker in the information age in which we live today.

d4g

• Magnum
    Magnum

First, there's no need to say that this approach shouldn't be used with current JWs. stuckinarut2 has already said it: "It is more for the purpose of getting my own thoughts clear rather than using it to talk to witnesses (as that doesn't really work)."

However, I feel that these are points that should be used with current JWs whether they work or not. Material like this does, I think, work with those who are intelligent and who are logical and reasonable in their thinking. It was material like this that moved me to finally leave. I saw stupidity, laziness, selfishness, ignorance, glory-seeking, etc. among individual JWs, but I didn't blame the org for that and figured it would be weeded out in the new world. It was material like that mentioned in the OP that moved me to leave. The problem is that most of those in the org now are not intelligent and knowledgeable, so the material might not work with them.

Now, back to the topic. I have one thing to add now (might think of more later):

* current teachings that absolutely do not make sense and/or are illogical (blood doctrine, overlapping groups generation)

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

• A focus on the tightness of one's pants and the color of their socks rather than on the quality of their character
    • The demonizing of higher education
    • tv.jw.org
    • the constant begging for money
    • shunning
    • the blood doctrine

• Ultimate Axiom
    Ultimate Axiom

How about;

• Baptizing children as young as 9.
    • Making inaccurate and deliberately misleading statements about their past, and in some cases, outright lies.

Regarding doctrinal changes, just do a search on this site, or better still, go to http://www.jwfacts.com/ and search there, you will find dozens of examples.

• prologos
    prologos
    * setting an illusion, the wrong life goals for it's members.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit