72% Voter Turnout in Iraq

by Elsewhere 91 Replies latest jw friends

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

The voter turnout for the 2004 US Presidential Election was 60.7% (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A10492-2005Jan14.html)

Despite being threatened by terrorists, Iraq's voter turnout was much greater than the last US voter turnout!

I'd say it was a far greater success than expected!

There were a few suicide bombers, but reports on CNN indicate that as soon as the sites were cleaned up the voters immediately returned.

CNN also reported an instance where some terrorists were driving around in an ambulance tossing hand grenades at people... a crowd surrounded the ambulance and forced the men out who were turned over to the authorities.

• czarofmischief
    czarofmischief

It's just wonderful - and it is what I kind of thought would happen after I saw how eagerly the Afghanis embraced democracy. Now if only we could get 72 percent turnout here in the States!

Hopefully this will help stiffen Europe's spine.

CZAR

• Pole
    Pole

Yeah, right, "embracing democracy". Have Russians "embraced democracy" yet?

• JH
    JH

I'm glad that many voted, but can you trust these statistics?

I expected 10-20% of people to go out and vote. Even here, not that many people go out and vote...

• roybatty
    roybatty
    Hopefully this will help stiffen Europe's spine.

I don't understand why Europeans have so little faith in the people of Iraq. I just don't get it. Are Europeans just anti-Muslim? 72% turn out to vote, despite the threat of death looming over their head and the first comment in this thread are "but have the Russians embraced democracy."

History will show that the Europeans did nothing to help the people of Iraq during their time of need. By holding a grudge and not sending in any peace keeping troops, the "insurgents" (aka terrorists) killed hundred if not thousands of innocent people. History will also show that Saddam could have been out of power faster if the Europeans hadn't, by means of the UN oil for food scam, given Saddam additional billions of dollars which allowed him more time.

When I see Iraqi men volunteering to be police officers, knowing that they will not only be risking their lives but the lives of their family, I admire them. When I see Iraqis standing in line to vote, wondering if a bomb will go off, I am in awe. I'm not ready to call it a succses but shit, give the Iraqis a little credit (and hope).

• under74
    under74

"I don't understand why Europeans have so little faith in the people of Iraq."

I don't think it's Europeans not having faith in the people of Iraq. It's more like not having faith in the U.S. setting up a puppet government. It has nothing to do with Iraq. And I wouldn't put the blame for all the deaths on Europe roybatty afterall, the US did not have to invade the country.

• frozen one
    frozen one

During the run up to the election, the leader of the insurgency, Zarqawi, said that "those with purple fingers would be infidels and would be punished." This was a reference to the election practice of dipping voters fingers in ink in order to prevent fraud. While watching the election coverage this morning I was struck at the number of people who walked out of the polls and held up their ink-dipped fingers for everyone to see. What a simple and elegant way for the Iraqi voters to tell Zarqawi to kiss their collective asses. An amazing event to watch today that I hope carries on tomorrow.

• Simon
    Simon

That's an impressive turnout - it puts western democracies to shame.

• simplesally
    simplesally

Congratulations to the Iraqi people.

I wonder what the voter turn out is for other nations. Someone stated the US turnout (which was on the news as well) running in the 60%.

What was England's?

What about Canada?

I don't think Americans are the only apathetic people on the planet.

• Pole
    Pole

roybatty,

I'm not sure why your reply is so ignorant and unduly emotional.

I don't understand why Europeans have so little faith in the people of Iraq. I just don't get it. Are Europeans just anti-Muslim? 72% turn out to vote, despite the threat of death looming over their head and the first comment in this thread are "but have the Russians embraced democracy."

Find out more about living in the Russian or Indian democracies and you'll understand my point. The point about Russia embracing democracy is this: does the fact that people go to polls mean there's a democracy in a country in the Western sense of the word? What exactly does it take to have a democracy? If it's only about peolpe choosing their government in direct elections then is it always the best political system to impose? To turn your comment on its head: I just don't get why Americans get so excited about the alleged 72% Iraqis going to the polls. Let's see who gets elected and what it means for Iraq.

History will show that the Europeans did nothing to help the people of Iraq during their time of need. By holding a grudge and not sending in any peace keeping troops, the "insurgents" (aka terrorists) killed hundred if not thousands of innocent people. History will also show that Saddam could have been out of power faster if the Europeans hadn't, by means of the UN oil for food scam, given Saddam additional billions of dollars which allowed him more time.

Sorry, but I find your ignorance personally offending. You certainly know nothing about the role of many European countries other than France or Germany. Poland has been present in the Iraqi campaign from day one (first special troops then a constant force of 2000+ troops dozens of whom have been killed). Spain has paid the price for their participation. Of course Britain is not a European state for you either. I guess the Hollywood industry will help to instill the kind of histroical truths about America's and "Europe's" roles in Iraq which you seem to hold already. Kind of helps me understand how come so many Americans believe they won the WW2 single-handedly.

When I see Iraqi men volunteering to be police officers, knowing that they will not only be risking their lives but the lives of their family, I admire them. When I see Iraqis standing in line to vote, wondering if a bomb will go off, I am in awe. I'm not ready to call it a succses but shit, give the Iraqis a little credit (and hope).

I give them a lot of credit and I wish them the best. The "democracy" of my country rarely has such a turnout. I'm just not sure if the great benefits of living under democracy which they owe us will outweigh their losses.

Pole

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit