WAS YOUR CONGREGATION A GOSSIP MILL?

by badboy 20 Replies latest jw friends

• Low-Key Lysmith
    Low-Key Lysmith

My mom was so excited to give me the latest "juicy bit" once. I told her I wasn't interested in hearing the gossip. I got slapped for it!

• dorothy
    dorothy

If it doesn't gossip, it's not a Jehovahs' Witness

• BlackSwan of Memphis
    BlackSwan of Memphis

in every kh i have ever been to there has been major problems with gossip and cliques. i was on the butt end of the gossip mill once and after that people i never met knew me. if you're a dub and you want to date someone you better plan on spending the rest of your life with that person or you just might turn out to be the "class slut".

• franklin J
    franklin J

oh yes, big time....

• unbeliever
    unbeliever

Oh man mine was the worst. They still are horrible. Not only do they gossip but tell blatent lies about you as well.

• blondie
  • proplog2
    proplog2

Two thirds of human conversation is gossip. It is actually a vital tool of maintaining community. Most gossip isn't malicious. However, Jehovah's Witnesses have a higher wall to maintain their community. They are bound to have a higher percentage of negative things to say about people because they have more things in their rule book. Add to that the amature counselors (known as "elders") and the idea that you have to confess your wrongs to them to be forgiven and you have a recipe for real harm. That's probably why xjw's perceive the organization to be "gossipers" in a bad sense.

• imnottheonlyone!
    imnottheonlyone!

I think in our cong it was pretty bad. Now looking back, I wonder if it was a form of entertainment. Living in a small town, not alot to do, people just loved to know what the others were up to. Kinda like the equivilant of watching "Desperate Housewives"....and let me tell you (in her gossip voice) there were some pretty desperate JW housewives in my area.

• badboy
    badboy

Desperate JW housewifes TELL ME MORE!

TELL ME MORE!

• candidlynuts
    candidlynuts

every bit of gossip was prefaced with " dont say anything to anyone but".. and i thought that was because i was gonna hear some good juicy secret.. Nope..it was so no one would else would tell that tidbit!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit