New Book, a Powerhouse

by Maximus 20 Replies latest jw friends

• Maximus
    Maximus

I've received numerous questions asking for documentation of issues raised on this board. Some threads have gems that get developed, then buried, and someone raises the same question. CD ROMs whirr.

For some Ray Franz is more than sufficient, others also enjoy the perspective of "Apocalypse Delayed" by trained historian James Penton, which was vital to me personally.

(Each of us has boundaries. Mine is reached when someone asks, "How many times did Nathan Knorr get it on with Percy Chapman?" That suggests the inquirer is interested in titillation rather than enlightenment.)

What has been needed is a meticulous documentation of the organization, from the standpoint of a professional scholar who cannot be easily tarred with the label of an insider or a disgruntled elder who was not recognized.

Such a man is Dr. Edmond Gruss, who is quite modest, often eschewing his doctorate, but who nonetheless is a trained scholar with real insight. He was reared a Witness but took a different path. He's now Professor Emeritus of Apologetics and History at a Southern California college.

The Watchtower article on Grew and Storrs was most interesting to me, and I inquired of Ed about the two. He whipped out a prescient quotation from Storrs that floored me, regarding the folly of setting dates. But that's typical of Ed Gruss; he really knows whereof he speaks.

The book is in final form at the publisher's, and will be quite large. The author expressed his concern to me about such careful detail in a world that loves the sound bite and the pre-digested.

I've assured him there are many, many persons who want the full story in perspective, with such documentation.

"Jehovah's Witnesses--Claims, Doctrinal Change and Prophetic Speculation."

Not available for awhile, but just to let you know it's coming.

Any comments or thoughts? Are you interested? Hope to keep the thread alive awhile without artificial bumps.

Maximus

• teejay
    teejay

a provocative tease, but i prefer the meat. let us know when it's to hit the stands.

• gsark
    gsark

Of course we want a book like this, need you ask? And I can guarantee you that for those of us ex-jw's whose Watchtower library is 3-10 times larger than it EVER was when we were JW's this book is as good as sold.

Love ya Maximus!

Gsark, of the Whirring CD-ROM's Class

Life is a roller coaster. Get in, sit down, shut up and hang on!

• Jeremy Bravo
    Jeremy Bravo

Maximus,

I have been wondering if a book like you had described had ever been written; something definitive that gets down to the issue of proving the falsehood of the organization UNDENIABLY. I don't know if you can go into further detail, but how deeply will it delve into the history of the Org.? Will it confirm any of Rutherford's (or his predecessors/succesors) indiscretions or will it deal simply with Watchtower articles and policies?

I'm sure I'd love to read it, no matter what's in it.

Jer.

"When there is freedom from mechanical conditioning, there is simplicity. Life is a relationship to the whole." - Bruce Lee.

• jst2laws
    jst2laws

Maximus,

This is a “meticulous documentation of the organization, from the standpoint of a professional scholar”? Sounds GOOD to me. Keep us posted when it is available.

Jst2laws

• larc
    larc

Folks,

I have a suggestion for everyone based a personal experience. When I was in Flint, Michigan, I discovered that they had no books on the subject of Jehovah's Witnesses. I filled out a form they had, requesting that they order Ray Franz's book, which they did. I think that if we check the libraries in our area and request that they order the books by Franz, Penton, and by Gruss when it is released, that we could do a lot of good. I have read of several people who got their start in the leaving process by reading a book at the library.

• patio34
    patio34

Hi Maximus,

Thanks for the update--we'll be looking forward to it.

Larc, what an excellent idea. I will be requesting those books next time I go. Thanks.

Pat

• Farkel
    Farkel

jst2laws,

: This is a “meticulous documentation of the organization, from the standpoint of a professional scholar”? Sounds GOOD to me.

It WILL be good. The manuscript is about 1,000 pages, but the book will be pared down before publication. Dr. Gruss has published five books on JWs. I have his book called "Jehovah's Witnesses - Their Monuments to False Prophecy" thanks to the generosity of my friend Randy Watters. The book is 8 1/2 by 11 inches in size and nearly three HUNDRED pages. It has only two subjects, which have before only been given a few paragraphs treatment in all other books I've read on JWs. Those two "little subjects?" Beth Sarim and Beth Shan. Yes, you read that right. There are three HUNDRED pages in his book showing photocopies of all deeds, documents, letters, newspaper articles, personal testimonies from those alive and involved with those two properties and buckets of other fascinating things.

Is Gruss a scholar? Absolutely. Is he meticulous? I think you already get the picture. JanG helped me get Ed's phone number. I talked with him for nearly three hours and he is everything Maximus says he is. I, in turn gave Maximus his phone number. They've since met and Maximus has seen the manuscript on his latest book and briefed me slightly about it.

Friends help out friends, and I consider you to be my friend, too. I'm also wondering how my old friend, "Friend" is doing these days. I miss him.

Farkel

• outnfree
    outnfree

Maximus,

I would buy this book.

larc,

Fine idea! I read Penton's first book and Grizzuti Harrison's book side by side and they were all the library had at the time on JWs.
    I, too, will ask my library to stock these others.

outnfree

• VM44
    VM44

Maximus,

Thanks for this advanced notice of Dr Gruss' new book.

Using Amazon, and Google, I have compiled a list of Edmond C. Gruss'
    books in chronological order:

1997 - Jehovah's Witnesses - Their Monuments to False Prophecy
    1995 - Cults : And the Occult
    1994 -The Ouija Board : A Doorway to the Occult
    1992 - We Left Jehovahs Witnesses : Personal Testimonies
    1975 - We left Jehovah's Witnesses--a non-prophet organization
    1974 - The Jehovah's Witnesses and Prophetic Speculation
    1970 - Apostles of Denial.

The 1970 book, "Apostels of Denial" is very hard to find.

--VM44

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit