Why is it that a JW can't say Happy New Year?

by kls 21 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• upside/down
    upside/down

Ah Dubs and the "holidays"...

I remember fondly all the the Dub "substitutes for the "holidays". We did everything the "worldly" people did only we didn't call it by it's pagan name and of course we avoided outright pagan decorations and greetings. But the eating, drinking (to excess) and debauchery (of course we hid that) was all the SAME. The youth Dubs even had their own "prom". The only difference was that Dub chicks put out WAY MORE than their "worldly" counterpart- I know I married one! Kind of reminds me of how "christendom" substituted their "christian" feasts onto the backs of pagan ones. I think it was really more a matter of convenience- after all the pagans knew how to throw a party!

Kind of like Bill Clinton- we put "it" into our mouths but we didn't INHALE (well ok maybe we inhaled a little).

The Dubs are very Puritan"esque", you know the Puritans looked at all pleasure as bad and worked hard to give a good appearance so as to appear "blessed". They hid behind a good work ethic. The Dubs are similar...

If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck etc.

U/D

• Incense_and_Peppermints
    Incense_and_Peppermints
    They hid behind a good work ethic.

yeah, except for the "good work ethic" part. the jw's i know are a bunch of slackers...

• stichione
    stichione

I had this conversation with my wife this past weekend. I asked her why she wished people a good morning/good afternoon/ good night/ good weekend but draws the line at wishing people a good year.

She could not answer me.

I explained to her its human nature to categorize human events into years. That although we might think back about how our day was or our week was, we more importantly think back about how our year was.

It got her to think about that. And in the end, that is whats important in helping JWs to exit from this cured cult.

• David2002
    David2002

Emperor Class, I've been associated with JW's and while I may not celebrate New Years day, I don't have a problem in wishing someone a happy new year. I mean I can say to someone "have a nice day" or "have a good weekend", etc. Wishing someone a happy new year is basically the same, but with a long term in mind. - David

• whyamihere
    whyamihere

Because they know being a Jehovah Witness life sucks and there are no good years. So you can't be happy about it. Oh yeah the time of the end is so near. So maybe there won't be a "new" year!

Happy New Year Everyone!

Brooke

• Namasti
    Namasti

You are so right on--upsidedown. So true, so true.

• Kenneson
    Kenneson

Stichione,

I like your response; the best I've heard yet. Thanks.

• AGuest
    AGuest

JWs... are slaves. Slaves... who live in fear of their "exacting" masters... who tell them what to do and say... and bind heavy burdens upon them that they themselves are unable to carry. And in obedience to such fear... they (JWs) refrain from even giving a kind greeting because it is associated with a "new" year.

As slaves, they are ignorant of the meaning of my Lord's words when he said:

"The scribes and the Pharisees seat themselves in the seat of the Moses... all that they say do... but do not do as they do."

What did he mean? He meant, blind guides that they are, such "scribes and Pharisees" - the hypocritical NON-anointed religious leaders and writers of law that are the "Watchtower Bible and Tract Society of Jehovah's Christian Witnesses... yada... yada... yada"... tell their followers all kinds of things... including that they must love their neighbor. But they show them how to disregard, ignore, even "hate" one's neighbor. And in doing so, they "shut up the kingdom of the heavens before them."

Dear ones, there is nothing wrong or unfaithful about giving a kind greeting... to a loved one, a stranger, even an enemy. It is their fear that someone might SEE it, however... and jump to some hateful conclusion, that restricts them. IF, however, one gives a greeting out of geniune concern... and, perhaps, genuine LOVE... there is NO LAW against such a thing. LOVE... is a fruit of God's spirit and "covers a multitude of transgressions."

Thus, if my neighbor... including a stranger... says to me, "Happy New Year," that I refuse to return the greeting is unkind... and unloving. It is born of FEAR... that I have done some "wrong"... and HATRED... for someone who is not "like" me. Love, however, casts fear... and hatred... OUTSIDE.

The WONDERFUL "freedom" of the Christ that one is FREE... to LOVE... whomever one chooses. Indeed, one is OBLIGATED to love ALL. If such love is shown by considering another's feelings, then, and such consideration is demonstrated by means of an acknowledgement... then to condemn it would be... evil. Something born of the darkness.

There is only one true "slave" mentality that does not lead to fear... or hatred... or hypocrisy: it is the slave of Christ. The TRUE slave. It is only in this way that one can actually be another's slave... and yet be FREE. For to slave for Christ IS freedom...to love: God... brother... neighbor... stranger... enemy... and self. Without restraint. Without condemnation. Without fear. For love is the "commandment" given to all such slaves: "I give you a NEW commandment, that you LOVE one another, just as I have loved you."

To know this love, however, one must know the Truth. THIS... means everlasting life... "their KNOWING" the Truth.

John 14:6

For it is the Truth who sets such one FREE... to love.

John 8:32, 36

And THIS... is the reason that the WTBTS teaches what it does... as it does: that IT is the "truth": so as to lead those who follow it AWAY from God and Christ... and into slavery... to God's Adversary, Death. It is the reason this very "beast" has been brought into existence: to breath life BACK into the Law Covenant... which led to DEATH... and create an IMAGE of that "beast"... in order to bring the people into subjection to it. It is fearsome... and causes fear... and as a result of such fear... causes hatred and hypocrisy... all of which originate with Death... and lead to Death. God... is love... and love... leads to LIFE.

Indeed, KNOW the Truth... and the TRUTH... will set you free. Know the SON... for it is the SON... who will set you free. To love. Without bias. Without fear. Without hypocrisy.

Indeed, KISS the SON... who calls out to all those hearing, wishing and thirsting:

"Come! Take life's water... FREE!"

May the undeserved kindness and mercy of the Most Holy One of Israel, the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob, whose name is JAH... of Armies... and the peace of His Son and Christ, my Lord, JAHESHUA MISCHAJAH, come to be upon you... you and your entire households... if you so wish.

May you ALL have peace... and a healthy and prosperous new year! For JAH... does not wish any to die. Truly.

A slave... of Christ and only Christ, but a servant to all those of the Household of God, Israel, and those who go with them,

SJ

• MungoBaobab
    MungoBaobab

The Jews (WT Speak: "God's People") celebrated their new year; Rosh Hashanah. So did Jesus. The only reason the "pagans" celebrated at a different time was because they had a different calendar.

And I think there is some confusion among JWs (ain't that an understatement!) about wishing someone a Happy New Year's (holiday) and a happy new year, which, essentially, is wishing somebody a good day 365 times.

• Golf
    Golf

We say F--- Y-- more often than Happy New Year, and YET, the scriptures tell us "Let not a rotten saying proceed out of your mouth." Eph.4:29

What's wrong with this picture?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit