Do "they" care?

by peggy 31 Replies latest jw friends

• Stefanie
    Stefanie

Yesterday our speaker was in fact the c.o., who discussed and prayed for all those who had died or were alive and hurting, and it was the exact opposite of what you experienced.

Yes, he was probably praying that the ones that were alive and hurting would find Jehover and get to see their loved ones in the paridice earth.

I have heard a couple talks that happened right after a disaster that made me want to puke

One was the flooding in Texas in June 01 , and the other was the one in Rawanda (SP)

• bebu
    bebu
    Yesterday our speaker was in fact the c.o., who discussed and prayed for all those who had died or were alive and hurting, and it was the exact opposite of what you experienced.

Yes, he was probably praying that the ones that were alive and hurting would find Jehover and get to see their loved ones in the paridice earth.

Even though I disagree with what he believes about God, I think there's at least a hope that his prayer was from a heart with truly good intentions--as he understood would be good. It certainly beats saying, "Well, they're all God-haters anyway, so let's not even bother praying for them." It also beats the pharisaical comparison that peggy heard in her KH. (I'm referring to where the pharisee boasted about being better than the tax collector. And which one was justified, according to Jesus?)

bebu

• gdt
    gdt

Bebu, your nice comments were appreciated. There is enough hurt and condemnation of others without any purposeful adding to them, surely. regards, gdt geoff.

• Daunt
    Daunt

I experienced that flood also and I didn't hear one remark about all the other individuals that died and had their houses ruined that weren't JWs. And I heard a lot of comments. I still believed it back then but it still hurt.

• justhuman
    justhuman

NO THEY DONT, THEY JUST CARE OF THEM ONLY

• Momof4
    Momof4

I think some do. I was very surprised to hear of the brother's prayer for ALL those affected by the disaster. How encouraging! I feel that there are very loving brothers and sisters still in the org but then also just the opposite. However, it has been my experience that the judgemental and unloving individuals outweigh the kind ones. My mother just spoke to a witness last night and their CO only mentioned in his closing prayer the "brothers and sisters" affected by this tragedy and the sister was disgusted. When I was fading and still attending meetings, it was difficult to listen to things like this and cruel comments by the friends during the WT study and not say anything. It made me feel powerless, not to speak out against these wrong things. I had been in the org. long enough to know what would happen if I did say anything or spoke out. So my fade did not last too long, I just couldn't take it any longer. I still feel love in my heart for these people because I feel they are misled, but it really makes me sad with this recent tragedy because this could really provide them with an opportunity to display the love they boast about. I feel if someone who claims to be Christian won't even pray for victims of a tragedy how can that even be remotely close to love?

• codeblue
    codeblue

Welcome Peggy

I didn't respond to your first thread where you introduced yourself, so sorry about the delay. Happy to have you here!

I am sorry for what you are going thru. It is very confusing to be a part of what is suppose to be the "world wide brotherhood" when comments like the speaker are made for all to hear.

Peggy, I was raised as a JW and was very faithful. I understand what it is like to be married for quite some time and go thru a divorce, it is so painful.

I remarried another JW...and relocated for his work. Went to MANY KHalls and the only thing they were interested in were our "publisher cards". That told me they were NOT living up to one of their identifying marks of the true religion: LOVE. They did not want to get to know us...they wanted our "publisher cards"..(that's is it, only our publisher cards)..The Brotherly Love that I was told would be worldwide, definitely was not in any of those KHalls. The District Convention was equally disappointing......only a disfellowshipped sister with 4 little kids would say "hi" to us and then said she was disfellowshipped and would be happy to visit, but she couldn't. Amazing how that df'd sister showed more love than one of the elders in our KH...he looked at me, and said nothing and walked away!!!

Yes, GDT, I believe the KH's in the US are getting callous and not following the Bible...

There comes a time in our life when our dedication to Jehovah remains between us and we must work out a way to serve him that does not conflict with the Bible............and us only, not an organization. A person's spirituality has nothing to do with meeting attendance or field service or studying the WTBS books. Our spirituality is between us and Jehovah and his son, Jesus, that gave his life for us.

We are all well aware of ones with "titles" that have a title but don't act spiritual. Funny thing is, that "titles" are frowned against in the Bible but the WTBS is full of titles for people.

Peggy, I think your confusion about studying about this organization, the WTBS, that is suppose to be the true religion is making you feel guilty. However, haven't we had studies with people and told them to research their own religion? After all, the WTBS only wants you to read their material, which is always one sided.

Hang in there, do your research so that "you can make sure of the important things".

CodeBlue

• eyeslice
    eyeslice

Some do and some don't - as shown by the responses to this thread.

The problem many JWs have is a they have a 'managed' view of events. The WTB&TS has for years been preparing them for a global disaster; worse than a natural disaster, a disaster at the hands of God. This has hardened the compassion of many. But, on the other hand many, including COs and DOs have been troubled by their consciences and have left.

Eyeslice

• jgnat
    jgnat

I like how my church handled it. The church secretary sent out an e-mail partway through the week to let us know there would be a special offering towards tsunami relief. The pastor reminded us of our project last year, where we took an offering to help those who were burned out of their homes. Other churches joined in, and we were able to provide a small gift to everybody who was burned out of their apartment building. Similarly, he reminded us, our sister churches in Asia need us now.

• BrendaCloutier
    BrendaCloutier

{{{Peggy}}},

I feel for you now that your eyes have been opened, and the hard shell of your heart has cracked. But I'm hopeful for you, too, because now you have the opportunity to fully know, understand, and experience this life we live.

And a woman spoke, saying, "Tell us of Pain."

And he said:

Your pain is the breaking of the shell that encloses your understanding.

Even as the stone of the fruit must break, that its heart may stand in the sun, so must you know pain.

And could you keep your heart in wonder at the daily miracles of your life, your pain would not seem less wondrous than your joy;

And you would accept the seasons of your heart, even as you have always accepted the seasons that pass over your fields.

And you would watch with serenity through the winters of your grief.

Much of your pain is self-chosen.

It is the bitter potion by which the physician within you heals your sick self.

Therefore trust the physician, and drink his remedy in silence and tranquillity:

For his hand, though heavy and hard, is guided by the tender hand of the Unseen,

And the cup he brings, though it burn your lips, has been fashioned of the clay which the Potter has moistened with His own sacred tears.

Kahlil Gibran's The Prophet, chpt 16

Hugs, Love, and a great big welcome!

Brenda

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit