A "Sobering" idea for New Years: to benefit Asian Tsunami Victims/Survivors

by Fleur 19 Replies latest jw friends

• Fleur
    Fleur

I just had a rare moment of clarity and I wanted to share this idea with you all. I plan to pass it along to everyone I know, hoping that it might, just might, catch on.

I am proposing a totally painless way for people to reach into their hearts, and wallets, to help those so desperate for aid following this weekend's tragedy in Asia.

My idea is simple. Instead of toasting the coming New Year with champagne, or other alcoholic beverages or party events; what if people instead just get together with those they hold most dear, toasted the new year with a glass of water (Which we are all so lucky to have available to us in most of the world, but millions of Asians do not have access to right now.) and contributed all the money we would spend on snacks, and alcohol for that night or other entertainment items/activities to Asian tsunami relief efforts?

I may be crazy that people would go for this...but I just have to put the idea out there. It came to me in a flash of thought, and seemed too simple, and too effective, to dismiss.

Might just cut down on some drunk driving accidents, too.

Please consider...and share this idea with anyone you think might be willing to give it a shot. Even if you pass on one 5.00 beer at the bar that night and contribute the money...how fast it will all add up.

Thanks for listening,

~Esmeralda

• fleaman uk
    fleaman uk

A very practical,sensible idea and far more useful than just sitting behind a screen bashing Religious Organizations who may/may not give to relief funds as some People keep on about.

• Kenneson
    Kenneson

Fleur,

It might mean a small sacrifice, but I think it's a wonderful idea. I'll pass it on to my friends. Thanks.

• Fleur
    Fleur

Thanks! I think that people have big enough hearts that they will want to do something really meaningful this New Years...I know that in the wake of this event I hardly feel like partying...I feel like doing something more significant and meaningful.

Thanks for caring, and reading. Please help pass the idea on.

hugs,

Esmeralda

Toast with clean drinking water...and donate the party funds to Asian relief efforts...please!

• flower
    flower

Not to sound like a downer, but I dont think many will go for the idea of not drinking champagne on new years. It is as much as a tradition as christmas and people would never go for the idea of donating all of their xmas gift money to a charitable cause either....and a lot of people just throw money away at xmas time. Just isnt going to happen unfortunately. Besides liquor store owners and bar owners rely on new years along with a couple of other holidays to keep their businesses in the black and successful.

Its hard to sit back and watch the horror happening in Asia and not be able to do much about it but I think realistically all we can do is let our countries send our money and supplies and aid workers to help those poor people. I wish there was more that we could do.

Frankly, I think we would be much more successful if we put out a public appeal to the 269 billionaires living in America (not to mention the other hundred and something living around the world) to donate just a million dollars of their fortune to help those people. With the stroke of a pen half a billion dollars could be on its way. I really dont understand the rich at all.

• Fleur
    Fleur
    Not to sound like a downer, but I dont think many will go for the idea of not drinking champagne on new years. It is as much as a tradition as christmas and people would never go for the idea of donating all of their xmas gift money to a charitable cause either....and a lot of people just throw money away at xmas time. Just isnt going to happen unfortunately

Hi Flower,

I don't expect everyone to do it. But if even only some do, or even if they still have the champagne but just think of ways to contribute even though they didn't think they could afford to...then putting the idea out there is worth it.

It's just that, an idea for those who are interested. Anyone not interested can disregard it.

~Essie

• flower
    flower

You sound slightly offended by my response. Sorry if that is the case, it wasnt my intent. Of course it was worth it to express your feelings and try to do something to help. My son collected 56 dollars from my family members (mostly jw lol) to help a little boy he saw on the news who made it through the disaster but his mother has not been found. Realistically, it will do nothing... but it doesnt take away from the heartfelt sentiment behind the gesture. I didnt mean to offend you.

• Fleur
    Fleur
    Realistically, it will do nothing... but it doesnt take away from the heartfelt sentiment behind the gesture. I didnt mean to offend you.

Hi again,

I'm not offended, Flower. In fact I expected similiar responses. I'm sorry if I sounded curt in my reply.

The idea that what you send doesn't help just isn't right, though! I read today that Americares can send close to 3000.00 worth of medicine/medical supplies for every 100.00 donated to them. Can you imagine how far that 56.00 that your son raised out of the goodness of his heart, bless his soul, could go? A long way!

I know the problem seems so huge it's like "what can one person possibly do." I totally agree with you about the need for the wealthiest to donate more; I am sure that many will. But in the meantime, if everyone just pitches in what they can, it will add up.

You are a great mother, I can tell, to be raising such a thoughtful son.

~essie

• Mystery
    Mystery
    Frankly, I think we would be much more successful if we put out a public appeal to the 269 billionaires living in America (not to mention the other hundred and something living around the world) to donate just a million dollars of their fortune to help those people. With the stroke of a pen half a billion dollars could be on its way. I really dont understand the rich at all.

Flower are you volunteering to head this up?

I agree with Fleur in her response of

You are a great mother, I can tell, to be raising such a thoughtful son.

Let us know of how many billionaires agree with your proposal.

Fleur - Sorry but i won't give up my champagne on the 1st..... but I will match what i spend to what i send to the relief effort. And i hope, that is as much as i can do, that the money will benefit the ones of need.

it is a great proposal.

Take Care -

Deborah

• Eyebrow2
    Eyebrow2

I won't be giving up all the alcohol for new year's either...but will do what I can. We don't buy champaign, but I was going to get some Rum and Gin...maybe we will just stick to one bottle of one. I think it is a great idea, very timely...

I am going to have the kids run around the house and find as much spare change as they can. I think then we will go to the bank, deposit it and then I can make an online donation. It won't be much, I am sure, but I DO believe that even a little helps. It takes thousands of people to give a little money. If those thousands don't think their $5 or $10 is worth the time, then there will not be a collective amount.

Flower, kudos to your little boy for being able to see that this isn't just one tragedy for just a mass group but a HUGE tragedy for hundreds of thousands of individuals.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit