"Brainwashing " thread......Part 2

by logansrun 33 Replies latest jw friends

• logansrun
    logansrun

Really, really good comments folks. Seven006 you are correct that my original thread was a reflection of a more dogmatic frame of mind which, of course, is unscientific. In fact, in this thread I basically believe "brainwashing" does exist on some level, especially in young childhood. Even the brains of teenagers have not fully developed -- I read an article in the Chicago Tribune recently which stated that teenagers tend to react more emotionally and viscerally due to physical underdevelopment. Sometimes I believe that laws should be passed outlawing baptism into any religion under the age of eighteen. But, alas, that simply is wishful thinking.

I guess much of this topic really hinges on definition of terms. "Brainwashing" in my book connotes total lack of control. But my definition is not universally accepted. How the hell can we settle this issue if we cannot settle our a priori definitions?

And so the thrust of my argument in reality is: We share responsibility with a myriad of factors -- the organization itself, individuals, even society in general -- for our being once part of the JWs, whether we were raised in it or not. Think of a kid being raised in a ghetto. His father was never around, his mother was a crack addict. His public schooling was woefully inadequate and role models were few and far between. He grows up and becomes a theif. Now, who is responsible? Society? To some extent, yes. Take this child as a baby and raise him in an upper-class enviornment in the suburbs and his life will be totally different. But is "society" totally to blame? No. Ultimately, no matter what the enviornment was that "produced" him, the theif must be held personally responsible for his actions. How much is he to blame and how much society? 80%/20%? 50%/50%? Your guess is as good as mine.

The question is actually something I have struggled with for a while. I could have easily titled this thread "Who Is Responsible?" I think of my maternal grandparents who became JWs in the 1950's. Recent Polish immigrants escaping the horrors of WWII (my grandfather served in the Allied side of the war/ my grandmother witnessed the Nazis invade her family's home and shot her brother and father right before her eyes) they had little education and spoke little English. A few years after they arrive a nice, well-dressed man who spoke Polish and talked about an end to all war came by as my grandfather was gardening. The rest is history.

How "free" was my grandfather to accept or reject the JWs arguments? He only progressed to the third grade and, as a Catholic, saw corruption in the Church and knew next to nothing about the Bible. He's a sincere man in his 90's now -- an elder in the congregation. He still speaks to me and I know was heartbroken by my decision to leave the JWs. Nonetheless, I have to hold the man accountable for not thinking about the JWs more critically -- both back in the 50's and throughout his life. I have to hold him accountable for agreeing with the horrific doctrine of a Theocratic Holocaust at Armageddon. I have to hold him accountable for not speaking to his oldest son for twenty years because he, my uncle, is disfellowshipped. At some point I'm sure he had/has doubts. But, instead of pursuing them he chose to rationalize answers that swim against the tides of reason and compassion. I don't blame him for doing what he believes is right, but I do hold him responsible.

Again, I've gone off on a tangent. Is my grandfather brainwashed? Was he brainwashed in the past and not now? Is George Bush or the Pope brainwashed?

Obviously there is a continuum with "free enquiry" on one end and "brainwashing" on the other. There are various shades of grey in between. The whole of advertising is located here, possibly closer to "brainwashing" than "free enquiry." But, just because this continuum exists does not mean that we can draw circles around different parts far seperate from each other and distinguish between them. Night slowly overtakes day in a continuum but we still understand the difference between day and night.

Ah, the more I know the less I know!

Merry Christmas folks,

Bradley

• logansrun
    logansrun

Golf,

Brad, do you care to elaborate on your comment, "...we bear some responsibility being JW's..."

Well, I certainly don't mean that we should go around and feel guilty over being a JW at one time, although that might be a difficult feeling to combat for some. I don't even think it is right to "blame" ourselves for what we did as JWs. In my book -- ah! those subjective definitions again! -- there is a difference between "blame" and "responsiblity." I don't blame anyone who truly does what they feel is right -- what they might even feel the Most Holy of the Universe wants them to do. I shunned people, including my best friend, and gave some absolutely pathetic advice while being a JW, but I don't feel bad about it. In fact, I feel I did more good than harm in my preaching.

What I mean is that we hold responsibility in the sense that we did have some control -- not total control, but some -- for our being a JW. Sometimes I get the impression that some people believe they were not responsible at all for their being JWs. We weren't mindless automotons nor are individual JWs "mindless" or "brain-dead." They think. They choose.

So, in my book, "responsibility" for our actions both past and present is a sort of Zen "wherever you go there you are" sort of thing.

B.

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

Lemme guess, you started the "brainwashing" series the morning after an evening of discussion with Onacruse about JW brainwashing, a dinner of spicy food, and a Zomby themed movie.

Seriously, I don't think most of us are thinking zombies or Manchurian candidate when we reference "brainwashing".

Since nothing physiologically magic happens when a person reaches 18, I don't see what being an adult has to do with whether someone can or can't be brainwashed. Is it easier to do to children? W/out question. Is it impossible to do to adults? I don't see any reason why it would be, although I agree that an adult, at least in the case of Jehovah's Witness brainwashing, willingly exposes his brain. Which might be exactly the reason to keep a word such as "brainwashing" in play, Bradley; so that adults are reminded that it can happen to them.

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

Responsibility, yes, in the psychoanalytical sense -- whether Freud's wo Es war, soll Ich werden or Françoise Dolto's "ultimately I chose to be born" -- so close to the Nietzschean concept of will (whatever is I choose to will), so far from the ordinary moral or legal concept of "free will" (I decide between good and evil in the limited area which depends on me).

This kind of responsibility is never something which can be assumed objectively, or imposed onto others (as in, "you are responsible for your life") but is a free subjective decision: I freely choose to be the subject of my life. Perhaps our only freedom.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit