The best argument that we have an immaterial part (called Spirit/Soul) came from Jesus Christ

by abiather 13 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Viviane
    Viviane
    If evolution is true, it should be EQUALLY true everywhere--why only be restricted to body?

Why should be equally true everywhere?

Mind is not evolving, rather it is going downward! Our deep-rooted prejudices remain as they were--anything we term as progress is only an eye-wash, just cosmetic toch.

By every measurable statistic, humanity is better. Less racism, less slavery, less war, less disease.

Why is is that religious people pushing woo always have try to claim everything is crap and getting worse?

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot

abiather:

"The best argument that we have an immaterial part (called Spirit/Soul) came from Jesus Christ. However, it is recorded in the Gospel of Thomas (not in the Traditional four Gospels)."

I'm surprised you didn't quote the Canonical gospels such as Matthew which says: "Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather, be afraid of the One who can destroy both soul and body in hell." Matthew 10:28 New International Version

"If the “scientific” Evolution Theory is true, we should have had, by now, an elevated view about ourselves. But we are yet to have even a realistic view of ourselves." 

It could easily be interpreted to mean that evolution hasn't yet progressed to the point where we all show respect to others regardless of race or gender. 

"How many of us treat the Black as equal to the rest of the humanity?"

The phrase "the Black" reminds me of what the American politician Rick Santorum said when he used that exact phrase. Patronizing. You could have said something else like "Black people".

• Viviane
    Viviane
    The phrase "the Black" reminds me of what the American politician Rick Santorum said when he used that exact phrase. Patronizing. You could have said something else like "Black people".

Agreed. Abiather is taking a rather niggardly view of humanity.

• abiather
    abiather

villageidiot,

It is not that I have not seen Mathew 10:28.

Barak Obama would not say sometime in the 20th century that “no one from the black community has become US President except me.” He can make such statement only after becoming the President! So is the case with Jesus: “No one has ever gone into heaven except the one who came from heaven—the Son of Man.” (John 3:13) He obviously ascended into heaven after his death, not in the beginning of his ministry, because context is that he is talking to Nicodemus. If John 3:13 is not spoken by Jesus, what about the subsequent verse 3:16, which says: “God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.”

If such major subject as ransom teaching was later interpolation, Bible itself says we have to use discretion to quote from the bible. (1 Thess 5:21)

In the light of the above Biblical warning, we can know that Mathew 10:28 would not have been spoken by Jesus who had already declared categorically that the obedient ones experience only the physical death (death of the body), but his spirit survives the death of his body. (John 5:24). In this saying, there is no departure from the OT where we find the statement: “the spirit returns to God” following man’s physical death. (Ecclesiastes 12:7)

To make the ransom teaching meaningful, Bible writers (rather editors) had to invent many verses such as Mathew 10:28.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit