What is "Intelligent Design?" Does that Mean Creationism Is Dead?

by Swan 43 Replies latest jw friends

• Swan
    Swan

I saw that the ACLU in Pennsylvania was suing a school district for mandating that "Intelligent Design" be taught along side Evolution? What is Intelligent Design? Is it the new Creationism? Is it just Creationism under a different name? Or is it a whole new tactic to get religion, i.e. Christianity, back into the public school system? If it is new, does that mean Creationism is dead and obsolete? If Creationism is passé, then what does that say about the past efforts to get it taught in schools along side Evolution?

Just curious. I had never heard of this "Intelligent Design" curriculum previously.

Tammy

• metatron
    metatron

Personally, I don't see much wrong with it - and think Darwinists should stop their prejudicial labeling of everyone

who pursues the idea as a "Creationist". It isn't fair - or necessarily truthful.

Intelligent design could easily support the notion of a pantheistic 'Creator' or deism. What's so wrong with the notion

that intelligence may be distributed thruout nature?

I can't even understand how Darwinism exists in the face of modern genetics. The notion of reducing all the complexity

of an organism down to a small amount of genetic code is increasingly ridiculous.

metatron

• ColdRedRain
    ColdRedRain

I think the difference is that ID is more non-theological and creationism involves more theology.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

ID is just an attempt by the evangelical Christians to slip creationism under the Church/State radar.

Ironically the teachers cannot propose WHO or WHAT the "intelligence" behind the "design" was. Doing so would clearly violate the separation of church and state... unless, of course, the teacher said that the universe was designed by aliens from another universe.

I find it very odd that people are EAGER to accept that the universe was created by an invisible all-powerful deity that they have never seen before, but in the same breath will scoff at the idea of aliens from another universe.

• redhotchilipepper
    redhotchilipepper

"Intelligent Design"=The Female of Course!!!!!

• redhotchilipepper
    redhotchilipepper

"Intelligent Design" = " The Female Of Course " !!!!!!

• redhotchilipepper
    redhotchilipepper

Double post/ had to get my point accross on that one, right ladies! and gentlement, of course, because what would you do without us females!!!!!!!

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere
    "Intelligent Design"=The Female of Course!!!!!

Boooo... Sssssss!

• BrendaCloutier
    BrendaCloutier
    Darwinism exists in the face of modern genetics

Darwin didn't spawn evolution, but asked questions that are genetics related.

He noted the physical difference in a bird on one island had a longer beak than the "same" bird on the other island. It was an adaptation for different feeding needs on that island. A bird that was born with a longer beak fed better and bred better on that island than the bird with the shorter beak. At one point in their genetics, mostly long-beaked birds were hatched. But I bet there are occasionally short beak birds hatched that because of the feeding necessities, become weak and don't bread as often. So the short beak becomes a recessive gene.

This form of genetics can be proven out with fruit flies and mice.

On subject:

I think Intelligent Design, leaving "god" out of it should be taught. This would allow children the option to make up their own minds when they are "allowed", and reduce some of the conflict at home.

How about intelligent design evolution where evolution is actually the process of creation. This is my belief.

Hugs and Happy Holidays!

Brenda

• Swan
    Swan

CRR;

I think the difference is that ID is more non-theological and creationism involves more theology.

That's what I mean. It was promoted as Scientific Creationism, and they harped about it being science, not theology. Now ID is more non-theological? Then are they saying by implication that Scientific Creationism was religion, not science?

Elsewhere;

ID is just an attempt by the evangelical Christians to slip creationism under the Church/State radar.

OK, so ID is Creationism with a shiny new wrapper then. Is that it?

I find it very odd that people are EAGER to accept that the universe was created by an invisible all-powerful deity that they have never seen before, but in the same breath will scoff at the idea of aliens from another universe.

And just who created those space aliens? For that matter, who created the invisible all-powerful deity?

Metatron;

Personally, I don't see much wrong with it - and think Darwinists should stop their prejudicial labeling of everyone

who pursues the idea as a "Creationist". It isn't fair - or necessarily truthful.

Intelligent design could easily support the notion of a pantheistic 'Creator' or deism. What's so wrong with the notion

that intelligence may be distributed thruout nature?

I can't even understand how Darwinism exists in the face of modern genetics. The notion of reducing all the complexity

of an organism down to a small amount of genetic code is increasingly ridiculous.

Pursues the idea of what, specifically? ID? I never heard of ID until this morning, so I don't really know how to answer your question.

But I do believe the study of genetics actually supports Evolution more and more. All creatures started out as a single cell. The genetic code was just the basic blueprint of what that organism would eventually become, which cells would become bone, which cells become blood, which cells become skin, etc. It is my understanding that there are fractional markers than indicate individuality (used for crime solving), but the greatest percentage of the DNA is the same as every other creature in that species.

Everyone;

So are they saying that something created life, but then Evolution explains the directions life took?

Tammy

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit