Corporal punishment

by JustTickledPink 28 Replies latest jw friends

• Incense_and_Peppermints
    Incense_and_Peppermints

p.s. when my sister was trying to recruit me a while back, i went with my son to a meeting one night. she told us what to wear, etc.... so worried about what people would think. they actually stationed men at the back of the hall, striking poses like bouncers and blocking the exit. my son kinda freaked, feeling like he couldn't just get up and leave if he wanted to.

anyway, the weird thing was the men and little boys all wearing three-piece suits, with vests. this one tiny kid, he couldn't have been more than four, walked by dressed in a tiny suit complete with vest tie and patent leather shoes and his hair plastered to his head with tons of goo, and wearing aviator glasses. my son leaned over to me and said sotto voce "well that's queer". i got a good chuckle outta that.

p.s. i was scandalized to see several young wives wearing low-cut dresses and heavy makeup. when i was in "the Truth" we had to be extremely modest and circumspect about our attire, etc. the young unmarried girls were typically drab, however... anyway, they all kept looking at us like we were from Mars. weirrrrd.....

• Beachbender
    Beachbender

I was brought into the "truth" at an age of 11 or 12 at that point I had always

been beaten for wrongdoings. Joining the JW`s only worked in my parents favor!

My brothers and I were beaten till well into our teen years. We were even so lucky

as my step mom would think, as to go and handpick our own switches from the trees!

If we brought one back that wasn`t to my mom`s liking we would get beat harder.

I do not hit my kid and don`t see the need, he is 13 now and never been hit by his

father or I. It`s a matter of teaching I believe and respect.

• candidlynuts
    candidlynuts

i jumped on a woman at a georgia convention in the 80s . she was beating the crap out of a lil boy maybe 3..he was a black child but his chubby little legs where she was hitting him was bright red. i told her one more whack and i was calling the police.. two other sisters in the bathroom jumped on me to mind my own business i told them child abuse was everyones business which started a debate about what was discipline and what was abuse.. she did quit hitting him in front of me. i ran into her a few more times that weekend and she averted her eyes each time.

Incense_and_Peppermints

bravo!

i would have been so tempted to punch her lights out, the old peahen...

• Big Tex
    Big Tex
    anyway, they all kept looking at us like we were from Mars

That's because you weren't wearing the "uniform". Don't you know that anyone or anything different must be bad!?

Incense_and_Peppermints

hehe for some reason, that scene in the simpson's "movementarian" episode keeps popping into my head... where they all chant "The leader is good, the leader is great, We surrender our will as of this date!"

• BrendaCloutier
    BrendaCloutier

I agree DY.

I almost never got spanked at the hall. Instead my mom would give me "3 strikes" then "ok, that's 3rd time I've told you, you will get a spankin when we get home"> and I did. I was given the choice, then the reinforment of the choice, then it was too late. But she would not embarrase me nor her by taking me to the bathroom. She also never let a spankin or other punishment slide, nor did she punish while angry. I totally respected this, even when I was small.

Peace

Brenda

• candidlynuts
    candidlynuts

i have to mention something funny about spankings in the kh.. well not really funny.. pitiful really.. we had this one elder who had a young daughter.. and she was a pistol.she'd sit backwards and stick her tongue out at people.. spit... throw books , this at around 5 yrs old.. the elder and his wife were pretty vocal about " never spanking OUR wonderful child" " we discuss things with her till she understands what is right and what is wrong behavior" etc. (this was one hellacious kid who got away with murder) .. one night she threw a song book (the big brown one) and hit an elderly lady in the head. the wife got up and tended to the elderly lady and the elder got up with the kid and told her that was IT she was getting a SPANKING............ the little girl all the way up the aisle was screaming " SAVE ME JEHOVAH SAVE ME! SEND ANGELS JEHOVAH SAAAAAAAAAAAAVE MEEEE"

it was her first spanking and i think everyone wanted to applaud that she was finally getting some kind of discipline.. i half expected some angels to show up and line up to spank her too lmao.

• LoverOfTruth
    LoverOfTruth
    I remember a wife who would let her kids color and she was always gossiped about, how her kids should be PAYING ATTENTION!

I got lots of complaints for allowing my kids to take their homework, coloring books, etc to the Kingdom Hall. Only thing is these complaints always come from the elders to my husband. I think they were all afraid of me because I would set them straight! There was no doubt, some gossiping but many sisters, including elders' wives, agreed with my views on raising children.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit