What sports are considered violent and forbidden by Jehovah?

by jwbloodline 67 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• jwbloodline
    jwbloodline

thanks for the replies..

Well again.. I don't think some of you didn't read what I said.. but i'm glad you guys get to make arguments and talk about them.

like I said Bjj doesn't have any "Ki's" or "Zen". The old ways of jiu jitsu were not adapted by the brazilian. There is not strikes in brazilian jiu jitsu. even though it came from the old traditional Jiu Jitsu, Japanese Culture and Brazilian Culture isn't the same. Yes it did have religious backgrounds but it's not practiced. It's all techniques, movements, angles, positions, etc...

I don't do it for self defense, i do it because it's fun work out.

Pepper spray.. I've used it before and it works but i dont recommend using it if the wind is blowing real hard. I shoots out in a thick stream, and the wind would have to be blowing hard for it to come back to you. Guns, knives i've used them but not anymore. not my thing anymore.

I think we fell off the subject lololol hahahaha

• BroBennett
    BroBennett

Would the sport involve a choke hold? If so you may want to look up the scripture that Mr.Vanzie took to heart in his letter to me. Just like a boxer can knock out another boxer, a choke hold could have long lasting damage.

I am guessing that is why it is considered a self defence sport, since the choke hold would be a weapon of choice.

Specific techniques taught are designed either to improve one's position (for example, to "pass the guard", by going from being "in the guard" to getting around the opponent's legs, resulting in side control); or else as a finishing submissions. Most submissions are either chokes (cutting off the blood supply to the brain) or arm locks (hyperextending the elbow, or twisting the shoulder). http://bjj.org/rma-faq.html
  • Valis
    Valis
    Re: What sports are considered violent and forbidden by Jehovah?

You know one would think that any sport where the spirit of competition created idolatry and also the attention of the world would be no no's, but as I know from experience JWs like watching, playing and attending sports events. And you know what? If they would get rid of all that horse shit about kids not being able to play sports and the whole concept of "spirit of competition" there would be no problems in that aspect. As it is, they merely act as if they don't participate, even though all over the world when it comes to game day you can find dubbies sharing in "good association" by watching said events with one another. Hypocrite ass wipes.

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

JWBL/BroB:FIrst of all, what does the bible say on the subject?

We have Isa.2:4 - the context being a future time of peace when war will be learned no more because there will be no more need of it. The passage wasn't talking about the contemporary time, which were violent times in which the Israelites continued to "learn war", as evidenced a few years later in Neh.4:17, 18.

The Psalmist David, a man of war and "a man after God's heart" (Acts.13:22), wrote Ps:11:5 - the context is the wicked, who enjoy hurting people, especially hurting "good" people. The context also shows that God has no compuncture about using violence against these ones.

Coming to the New Testament, there was no new law given. Matt.26:52, 53 should likely be read in the light of Joh.18:11, 36, meaning that it applied only to himself in regard to what he had to do at that time. You don't see him showing any such compuncture in refraining from warfare in Rev.19:21

In Luke 22:35-38 Jesus tells the disciples to arm themselves for self-defense.

Paul wrote in 1Tim.4:8 that bodily training is beneficial for a little, but godly devotion is beneficial for all things, as it holds promise of the life now and that which is to come. However he never condemned bodily training, which likely included various sports found in the olympics, like wrestling.

Paul also didn't hold back from using analogies that compared the spiritual fight to warfare, complete with weapons. It seems he had a keen interest in learning about such aspects of warfare, despite the passage in Isa.2:4.

So we actually only really have three passages of scripture which can be interpreted to being anti-self-defence-tuition, these being Ps.11:5; Isa.2:4; Matt.26:52. The context both within the passage and within the whole bible shows that such an interpretation flies in the face of the rest of scripture.

Even the golden rule "do unto others as you would have other do unto you" can be applied here. If you were violently attacking someone in the street, wouldn't you want them to defend themselves? Truly if you "love your neighbour as yourself" you would hope that they would not let you get away with such an illegal activity by passively letting you kick the living shyte out of them, and then calling 911 through toothless lips!

To use WTS-speak for a moment:In the light of these passages of scripture it would seem reasonable to conclude that self-defense classes are acceptible for Christians, as we keep on "buying out the opportune time ... because the days are wicked" (Eph.5:14-17).

BJJ sounds pretty cool.
    I practice TaiChi for health reasons, which in mainly non-contact, except for "push hands" which has no strikes, grapples, chokes, or throws.

The WTS doesn't agree though. It disagrees with all forms of self-defense training/sport, and a number of recreations like bungee jumping. Depending on your local body of Elders there are many sports which would also cause problems. I was effectively invited to desist from Scuba diving before they would appoint me as an Elder. After I made it plain that I had stopped (I used to be an Instructor) I was immediately appointed at the next C.O. visit.

• under74
    under74

JWBLOODLINE-
    "So this forum is full of Ex withness trying to hate or what?"

Well...not trying to hate. A lot of people on this forum are x-JWs that are trying to deal with what we went through as JWs...but I can't speak for everyone. I think if you stick around the forum you'll see that many of us still have family in the WTS and the majority of us don't hate JWs as individuals but have some problems with the doctrine and rules imposed upon it's members. I hope you don't let all the arguing get to you and you make a decision on what happens in your life according to what's best for you and not what's best for fitting into the WTS. Again, welcome to the forum and I hope you stick around.

• jwbloodline
    jwbloodline

Yea i'm gonna stick around. I like the forum.

I saw a comment about passing the guard into a better position. Yes a choke and a hyperextention is used. But once you get your someone in that position he taps and you let it go. It never goes beyond friendly comp. the chokes never go beyond that. If someone has me in an armbar.. I know i'm going to tap right away. I've never been hurt by someone else. Just my own mistakes but I like the advice.

shouts out to everyone.. .

• BroBennett
    BroBennett

Thanks for being so prompt Jwbloodline, but I still feel it would be wrong in the eyes of Jehovah to come close to hurting another person, even if they can tap out there is still a chance to be injured. But of course it is up to the individual to decide after much consideration on the matter of sports.

It is best to the turn to scriptures for advice on self defence sports, I went to a scripture regarding the need to stay meek and I included another bible students view with the boxing sport and he included very good bible information and is working toward a full dedication to God.

JESUS Christ, the greatest man that ever lived, encouraged meekness by both precept and example. "Blessed are the meek: for they shall inherit the earth," said he, and he urged others, "Learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart."

So let me explain further why I used the scripture.

The heart is the place where your important qualities are made manifest in such traits as mildness, patience, and reasonableness. So humility is defined in terms of selflessness and is an essential root of all wisdom.

In a 1958 Watchtower titled: Blessed are the meek, it writes,

Then what does it mean to be meek? It has been said that a meek person is a teachable one. True, one who is meek is willing to be taught, but meekness includes far more than that. Bearing this out are the definitions given for "meek": "gentle or mild of temper; self-controlled and gentle; not easily provoked or irritated; forbearing under injury or annoyance." In modern Bible translations the terms "mild" and "gentle" frequently replace the term "meek" found in older versions. No question about Jesus? being meek. And another notable example of meekness found in the Scriptures is that of Moses, whom God?s holy spirit inspired to write: "The man Moses was by far the meekest of all the men who were upon the surface of the ground."?Num. 12:3.

So as long as those qualities are still kept strong... having self control and reasonableness, then I am sure it can give you an idea of what kinds of sports are right to take part of.
  • jwbloodline
    jwbloodline

brotha bennett you've been a big help.. thanks to everyone who had replied... much love

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit