something in crisis of conscience i didnt know about... that shocked me

by candidlynuts 27 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• candidlynuts
    candidlynuts

thats something i've wondered myself many times , recently and as an active member.

theres major money going in.. some goes to big buck real estate, but where does the rest go and who is it benefiting? someone here posted recently 1 million in stocks that the wtbs holds in one company. but that too is to gain more money. most religions, most businesses, all have one group of people enjoying the profits but where is the wtbs money going? we know it does not go to charity. they have no programs to help the poor , hungry, cold, homeless. we know only a small percentage goes into the publishing, we know the workers get only a pittance each month. so that leaves mega millions unaccounted for .. well maybe unaccounted for is the wrong word.. mega millions that we, the public dont know where it goes. i'm sure someone knows where it goes. it'd be interesting for the wtbs to be audited and made public where its money goes wouldnt it?

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Coincidentally I had a brief glance at "In Search of Christian Freedom", this morning (I hadn't read this thread, but a desire to read that book was on my waking mind - go figure...), and the page I opened was talking about tax evasion in South America (I'd need to check the page again - it was somewhere around 279, I think).

It had correspondance regarding the morality of the practices they were pursuing.

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

In the write-up in the Awake that kwin posted it was pretty clear how they sidestepped with half-truths. This is a common practice I have seen - witnesses could have been registered as a religion all those years - and got the benefit of that (if that is what you would call it) - but instead were a 'cultural' group. Yet they make is sound to those who have no infor besides what they read here (that is virtually all witnesses) - as though the 'religion' was banned all that time, when it was done to pretect property - disgusting.

Like one of the previous posters - this was one of the things that turned the tide on me leaving - this is just total dishonesty -who do the scriptures say is the 'Father of the Lie'?

Jeff

• johnny cip
    johnny cip

i'm still hoping someone here will bring up that older thread about , the wt in mexico. an how they lied about not being a religous org. just so they could own land...john

• willyloman
    willyloman

They're practicing the same duplicity now with the blood issue, saying one thing, meaning another. They want out of their discredited stand on blood transfusions but can see no direct exit, so they've chosen to obfuscate and confuse the issue over time, hoping people will forget what they ever taught on the subject in order to set the stage for a future WT article entitled, "Blood: A Conscience Matter for True Christians." In that article, which for all I know is already written and in someone's computer file in Brooklyn, they will declare that JWs have always declared this a matter of conscience but because some ran ahead and took extreme positions, it is time for the faithful and discreet slave to clear things up so that true Christians can be united in thought and mind.

• johnny cip
    johnny cip

cnaididlynuts; http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/11/74866/1.ashx this link taqlked about the mexican stuff. i know there are more threads on this subject. but it's a start john

• candidlynuts
    candidlynuts

thanks john that added some information...

(ya know maybe i shoulda read the year book instead of sticking it on a bookshelf.. the link you provided had a 95 yb article mentioning the not singing or praying)

• Voyager
    Voyager

http://docbob1.home.comcast.net/mexico.htm

http://docbob1.home.comcast.net/mexico.htm

*************************************************************************************

Mexico
    Home Up MexicoNeutrality Raymundus Martini

MEXICO (part 1)

In the 1/1/90 WT, they state the following: "A highlight of 1989 was a change in the status of Jehovah's Witnesses in Mexico. As a result, the Bible could be used in the house-to-house preaching work for the first time, and meetings could be opened with prayer."

What they don't state is the reason that the house-to-house preaching could not be done or that the meetings could not be opened with prayer. It was, not because the it prohibited by the government, but because the WTS prevented its own people from doing these things.
    The reason for all this goes back to the 1930's. Mexico passed a law that all buildings that were used for religious purposes would become federal property. Most religious organizations in Mexico learned to live with this. The government held title to the building and the religious organizations continued to use them for religious purposes. But the WTS didn't like that arrangement, so they reinvented themselves. Starting in 1943, the WTS (called 'La Torre del Vigia' in Mexico) no longer presented itself as a religious organization, but a cultural organization. According the the 1995 Yearbook of Jehovah's Witnesses, the following changes were made: (1) No audible prayers at meetings (2) No singing at meetings (3) door-to-door work continued, but without direct use of the Bible (4) Kingdom Halls were renamed "Halls for Cultural Studies" (5) Bible studies were renamed "Cultural Studies
    So basically, the WTS compromised on a number of things so they could continue to hold title to property. Can you imagine the apostles in the 1st century refraining from singing or praying aloud at their meetings in order to hold title to property. I cannot. This is compromise of the rankest kind. BTW during the time the WTS was passing itself off as a cultural organization in Mexico, it was arguing in US courts that it was a 'solely religious' organization in order to take advantage of tax advantages of being a religious organization. =============================================================

WT References:

*** w90 1/1 7 "Aglow With the Spirit" in Mexico ***
    A highlight of 1989 was a change in the status of Jehovah?s Witnesses in Mexico. As a result, the Bible could be used in the house-to-house preaching work for the first time, and meetings could be opened with prayer. This had an immediate effect. In two months, the number of publishers jumped by over 17,000.
    The joy of the brothers at this development is seen in their comments. One wrote: ?When the letter was read in the congregation, it was interrupted twice by spontaneous applause. It was thrilling!? Another said: ?We could not hold back the tears of joy. The results have been manifest in better punctuality. Everyone wants to be present for the opening prayer.?

*** yb95 211-3 Mexico ***
    La Torre del Vigía de México?A Cultural Society
    You will recall that back in 1932 La Torre del Vigía de México had been authorized by the government. However, there were obstacles because of the restrictions that the law imposed on all religions. Objections were raised to the house-to-house activity of the Witnesses, since the law stipulated that ?every religious act of public worship must be held inside the temples.? For the same reason, objections were raised to our conventions in public places. This was a problem, because these conventions were constantly getting larger. Owning property also presented problems, because the law required that every building used for religious purposes had to become federal property.
    For these and other reasons, the Society decided that it would be wise to reorganize, with a view to giving greater emphasis to the educational nature of our work. Therefore, on June 10, 1943, application was made to the Secretariat of Foreign Affairs to register La Torre del Vigía as a civil society, and this was approved on June 15, 1943.
    With this rearrangement, singing at our meetings was discontinued, and the meeting places became known as Halls for Cultural Studies. No audible prayers were said at meetings, though nothing could prevent a person from saying an earnest prayer silently in his heart. Every appearance of a religious service was avoided, and truly our meetings are designed for education. When Witnesses in other lands began to call their local groups ?congregations,? the Witnesses in Mexico kept on using the term ?companies.? House-to-house visits by the Witnesses continued, and with even more zeal; but direct use of the Bible at doors was avoided. Instead, publishers learned the texts by heart so that they could quote them. They also made good use of the book ?Make Sure of All Things,? which is a compilation of Scripture quotations on many subjects. Only on return visits and on studies (which were termed ?cultural? instead of ?Bible?) was the Bible itself used.
    The principal work of Jehovah?s Witnesses remained the same, namely, preaching the good news of God?s Kingdom.

*** yb95 236-7 Mexico ***
    How has our holding of conventions and assemblies been affected by the fact that our organization is now recognized not merely as a cultural society but as the religion of Jehovah?s Witnesses? In 1988 when this situation was first presented to the authorities, they simply directed us to the law that makes no provision for religions to have public meetings outside their normal meeting places. At that time they suggested that, instead of using public places, we have our own large facilities for conventions and assemblies. We persisted and asked if we could obtain special permission to hold our large gatherings in public places. They said that we could turn in our applications, and these would be considered. They did not prohibit our having large meetings, because we have always had them and other religions have also carried out public religious functions. One of the Society?s responsible brothers remembers how that meeting concluded: ?When we took our leave, I said, ?Well, then, it is understood that we are going to continue as we have been doing until there is some other arrangement.? They agreed, and we exchanged our good-byes in a cordial atmosphere.?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit