I found this interesting . . .

by NewLight2 12 Replies latest jw friends

• Happy Guy :)
    Happy Guy :)

I am going to risk wading into these choppy waters.

On the surface I would agree with it being both touching and perfectly normal. I personally have absolutely no problems with this obituary.

I do agree with somewhat of a possible commercial aspect of it for the following section:

She looks forward to the
    government of all governments described at Dan
    2:44. The government all Christians were told to
    pray for in the Lord's prayer (Matt 6:9,10).

If she is, in fact, sleeping in death then she is not, in fact, looking forward to anything. I question whether the above section was inserted for commercial purposes as it is out of place, especially the second sentence in that section "The government all Christians were told to
    pray for in the Lord's prayer (Matt 6:9,10). "

If this man chooses to use his wife's death as an opportunity to proselytize so be it. It's his grieving process and if that makes him feel better, I have no problem with it. People have done alot worse when it comes to using someone's death to advance a cause. I have also seen people use obituaries to proselytize other religions, especially fundamentalist ones.

• RunningMan
    RunningMan

Interesting that there are five scripture citations in this little paragraph. It reads kind of like a reference work, complete with footnotes.

As for obituaries, I have always thought that most obituaries are unimaginative and follow a standard formula - long lists of those left behind, etc. So, I have taken the bull by the horns. After my father's funeral 2 1/2 years ago, I wrote my own obituary. It rocks. It says everything I want to say at the end, and is kind of funny, in a touching sort of way. Man, I miss myself already.

• Granny Linda
    Granny Linda

RunningMan -

granny

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit