SCHOLAR 'talk' to Ray about Carl Olof Jonsson

by one 45 Replies latest jw friends

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

City Fan....That's an interesting point about the three kings deposed/killed in Antiochus IV's rise to power. But wasn't it the case that Alexander the Great wasn't included in the ten horns?

• City Fan
    City Fan

Leolaia,

Some scholars have Antiochus Hierax, the brother of Seleucus IV, as one of the horns rather than Alexander the Great. The number 10 could also just be a round schematic number. But the 3 uprooted horns still fits with Epiphanes' rise to the throne.

• Golf
    Golf

I use the F word in my daily conversations, but never on this forum. Is this forum about exchanging and sharing healthy ideas or am I wrong? If I'm wrong, it means were here to cut each others throats!

Galations 5:15, "If though, YOU keep on biting and devouring one another, look out that YOU do not get annihilated by one another."

• jgnat
    jgnat

Leoalia, I for one, always keep an eye out for your posts. A few people need to be exposed to what scholarship is really all about.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

I think the view that it is meant as a round (figurative) number is most attractive. In any case, the ten kings are followed by Antiochus, described in the same language ("speak against the Most High" = "He will exalt and magnify himself above every god and will say unheard-of things against the God of gods" in ch. 11; "oppress his saints" = "He will destroy the mighty men and the holy people" in ch. 8, "try to change the set times and the laws" = "he will put an end to offering and sacrifice" in ch. 9, "he will abolish daily sacrifice" in ch. 11) as the unquestioned Antiochus figure in ch.11 and elsewhere, which precludes an artificial designation of the ten kings as kingdoms later than Antiochus.

Incidentally, the attempt to make the "Seventy Weeks" apply to Jesus, particularly in applying the sentence "He will put an end to offering and sacrifice" to Jesus, drastically ignores the context and takes something originally referring to the blasphemous tyrant Antiochus (the original model of the Judeo-Christian concept of the "antichrist") and makes it apply to Jesus.

Golf....Sorry if I offended you too.

jgnat...Thanks hon, :::HUGS:::

• shamus
    shamus

Sorry, Lelo. I didn't mean to be such a meanie to you.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit