Whats Your View on most JW's

by XBEHERE 33 Replies latest jw friends

• XBEHERE
    XBEHERE

Its safe to assume that many JW's come on here and just read posts. In fact I did it for several months before posting anything. I have seen many, many helpful posts giving encouragement, etc. On the other hand I have to say that I have reada few posts that could be insulting to the active JW. Granted those are in the minority.

So what is your view of JW's in general. Are they deceived, brain-washed, people in need of help to realize the truth or Are they callous, cold hearted, and self-righteous losers?

I have to be honest.... some of the postings I have read would tell me that the society is absolutely correct about "apostates" they are bitter and upset over what men have done to them. Fortunately for me, I happen to believe most of what I have learned about the "truth" and I am not turned away by this at all, everyone is free to have their own opinions. Sadly though I think that some JW's come here, read some of the posts and leave. Not that its your fault, but I just thought you should be aware of how some active JW's might feel.

• Tigerman
    Tigerman

Go to www.freeminds.org/ and you will find reading material that will prove very helpful to you.

• kwintestal
    kwintestal
    some of the postings I have read would tell me that the society is absolutely correct about "apostates" they are bitter and upset over what men have done to them.

I think the bitterness is due to what so many gave up, chasing after what they were at one time convinced was truth. Once the bubble bursts, and the lies, cover-ups, hypocrocy, scandals and control tactics are brought to attention, it leaves a genuine feeling of bitterness. It can't be helped, it just happens. How each person deals with it is different, some just move on, and others go on JWD an vent/rant.

It should be noted however, that the WTS is the cause for the way that people react upon leaving. I've heard many times people saying about "apostates", "Why can't they just leave? Why do they have to put the WTS down?" These are people who have been trained for years, and years that when you find something that is true, you tell everyone. That's why JW's go door-to-door right? So wouldn't it be logical to expect an ex-JW to do the same thing? Tell those who don't know the truth about "the truth".

Kwin

• vitty
    vitty

Kwin, its true I used to think why dont they just leave quietly?

I wish you could, but they make life so difficult, shunning, gossiping about what your upto when you leave and lives that have been ruined.

After 20 years in I had no idea about the real truth, completley dilusional, and so is everyone i know whoes still in

• franklin J
    franklin J

I suppose when people realize that later in life the "absolute truth" of which they have slaved their entire youth to is NOT SO ABSOLUTE; that is in in fact A LIE; will cause some repercussion. It has too; especially when some people realize that they missed so many opportunities in life; such as higher education and careers. When they realize they have shunned loved ones; in the name of god---more realistic to have it revealed that you have shunned them out of blind ignorant obedience to an uncaring set of beliefs--this has to cause bitterness and regret.

It is unfortunate. No one should have regrets in life. Life is too short.

• FairMind
    FairMind

I agree about 100% with XBHERE. I am one of Jehovah's Witnesses and I am not brained washed into thinking that the WTS is Jehovah's "organization". Doctrinally the WTS is no worse than other religions and in most cases it is better. The problem (and this exists in other religions too) is with management (being the clergy, elders, GB, etc).

It seems that when people leave the JW organization they assume that their life would have been better had they never been JWs. This might be true but perhaps not. Had a person not been one of JWS would they 1) have furthered their education? 2) Have given up nasty habits like smoking? 3) Have lived a more moral life? 4) Have read the Bible more? Who knows? Being bitter only hurts you. When you hate, you only lessen yourself and this holds true whether or not you’re a JW.

FM

• ColdRedRain
    ColdRedRain

I simply think it's a religion that's afraid to see anything that puts their ideas intellectually limited sphere in a bad light, yet are arrogant enough to feel offended when people wouldn't investigate their ideas and beliefs. You would never find a JW reading a book written by SDA's, LDS's or even Jack Chick comics, and doing so in veiw of another JW results in your disfellowshipping, yet you would find a JW wanting people of those same faiths reading their lit. Funny, in the faiths I've mentioned, you're also excommunicated for reading JW lit, from what I hear from my LDS and SDA friends.

I also think it's a religion that's afraid of criticism.

It's a religion that trains it's members to hate those that claim that the religion's infalible. What I have and I figure what most sane people have (And even a few insane XJW's ) is not hate towards our former religion, it's rather frustration that people that we love would rather love a religion than us, when we bring up the basic fallacies in the religion, you're either poo pooed or even not talked to.

Any lurkers out there, think to yourself "Why are you not allowed to read books by other faiths or books criticizing your faith?" and you will see your answer in your question.

• BrendaCloutier
    BrendaCloutier
    It seems that when people leave the JW organization they assume that their life would have been better had they never been JWs. This might be true but perhaps not. Had a person not been one of JWS would they 1) have furthered their education? 2) Have given up nasty habits like smoking? 3) Have lived a more moral life? 4) Have read the Bible more? Who knows? Being bitter only hurts you. When you hate, you only lessen yourself and this holds true whether or not you?re a JW.

I actually appreciate the things I learned growing up as a JW, especially in the Theocratic Ministry School: How to speak to anyone without fear, no matter who they are. How to teach. How to speak well. How to speak before a crowd of people. These are skills I have carried with me and used in business as an insurance account manager, software trainer, business owner. I have the ability to treat a barely educated janitor with the same respect as a corporate CEO. I learned from JW meetings that if a person acts or reacts a certain way, there may actually be a reason behind it, not to judge someone by initial encounter.

I never got addicted to smoking. I do, however, smoke about 6 quality cigarettes (usually Mexican Pacifico's) or cigarillos a year for the pure pleasure of it. Drugs scared the hell out of me. Alcohol, well, it's legal, JW accepted, and I am genetically an alcoholic (recovered, thank you AA).

I also have an IQ of over 140, and I was pulled out of HS after my sophomore year with a GPA of 3.5. In my adult college education I've maintained a 3.92 gpa. I wonder where I could have gone with proper education. As it is, I was heavily involved with software, opsys, networks, for 15 years.

My only bitterness is on the shunning issue. My parents and sibs never allowed themselves the opportunity to know me as an adult. They took away the opportunity to know them. I have a childhood friend I contacted a few years ago who really, really wanted to see me, but she'd have to talk to her husband and mother to get permission.... she was 40 years old at the time. How rediculous is that?

What do I think of JW's now, in general? I feel the organization is one of high control. Outside information is tabu. I don't berate the org, only my experiences with a couple of congregations and the elders running them. And my experinces opened my eyes to the hypocrisies. Although the congregation I was raised in was good and supportive of its members, even to a point of taking private collections for buying food or heating oil for down-and-out members! Not so in all congregations.

How do I view JW's now? I feel for them as I feel for any people who are gripped by toxic religion or toxic faith. As individuals? I don't try to persuade them to my point of view. I've thumped enough in my early years, and I no longer believe in thumping. If they chose to continue as a JW, that is their choice, albeit, I believe, a fear-induced choice.

Peace

Brenda

• one
    one

ignorant (mostly),

braindead (good percentage, which fall into the first category anyway)

and predators (elite), that is exactly what they ARE, not what have been done to them.

• Stefanie
    Stefanie
    So what is your view of JW's in general. Are they deceived, brain-washed, people in need of help to realize the truth or Are they callous, cold hearted, and self-righteous losers?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit