Please help me; Do you believe in an afterlife? If so, why, if not...

by Fleur 27 Replies latest jw friends

• Carmel
    Carmel

The Life After Death

Mrs. S. asked some questions with reference to the conditions of existence in the next world, and the life after death; she said that having recently lost a very near relative, she had given much thought to this subject. Many thought that re-union with those we had loved, and who had passed on to the future life, would only take place after a long period of time had elapsed. She wished to know whether one would be re-united with those who had gone before immediately after death.

'Abdu'l-Bahá answered that this would depend upon the respective stations of the two. If both had the same degree of development, they would be re-united immediately after death. The questioner then said, how could this state of development be acquired? 'Abdu'l-Bahá replied, by unceasing effort, striving to do right, and to attain spiritual qualities.

The questioner remarked that many differing opinions were held as to the conditions of the future life. Some thought that all would have exactly the same perfections and virtues; that all would be equal and alike.

'Abdu'l-Bahá said there would be variety, and differing degrees of attainment, as in this world.

The question was then asked as to how it would be possible with no material bodies or environment to recognize different entities and characters, when all would be in the same conditions and on the same plane of existence. 75

'Abdu'l-Bahá said if several people look into a mirror at the same moment, they behold all the different personalities, their characteristics and movements; the glass of the mirror into which they look is one. In your mind you have a variety of thoughts, but all these thoughts are separate and distinct. Also you may perhaps have hundreds of friends; but when you call them before your memory you do not confuse them one with another: each one is separate and distinct, having their own individualities and characteristics.

Replying to another questioner, he said that when two people, husband and wife for instance, have been completely united in this life their souls being as one soul, then after one of them has passed away, this union of heart and soul would remain unbroken.

(Abdu'l-Baha, Abdu'l-Baha in London, p. 74)

Cheers,

carmel

• Undecided
    Undecided

I must be a cold hearted SOB. Death has never bothered me. I was with two of my grandparents when they died and it didn't really effect me very much. I was at the hospital when my dad died and was with my mother when she died and I just accepted it as part of life. I guess I'm very independent and just keep on going no matter what happens.

As far as life after death goes, I have no idea what to think. I really don't understand the origin of life other than it's a result of a sperm and an egg getting together and creating DNA which controlls the makeup of our physical being. If there is anything spiritual I wonder when it is inserted in the embryo and how it exits at death. You can just believe whatever you want, no one can disprove it.

I'm sorry you are so devestated by you grandma's death and hope you can recover soon and enjoy the rest of your life.

Ken P.

• Midget-Sasquatch
    Midget-Sasquatch

I'm so sorry fleur for your loss.

I'd call myself a hopeful agnostic...empirically, I can't say if there is an afterlife or God. But I really do wish that both are real.

Narkissos verbalized my current views beautifully. Much of who we are can be attributed to the many encounters we've had with others. Those who we loved and who loved us, have given themselves to us in so many ways. They can help to shape our understandings, can give us tangible experiences with goodness, instead of a cold amoral existence, and give us the precious gift of feeling a warm connectedness.

If what we are is a unique fusion of behaviours, temperaments, beliefs, and memories then our loved ones can imprint those same parts of themselves on us. If we allow the very best of them to influence us, then they live on in our being, and they'd still be doing what is certainly their desire. To enrich our lives and make us realize there can be some goodness, some connectedness in life.

• Fleur
    Fleur

Does anyone have any input on so called liminal space and how that pertains to life after death? I just stumbled on the phrase which I am unfamiliar with and am researching it as well.

Interestingly, my mother told me last night that two days before my grandmother's death that my brother had a very vivid dream in which she told him that she didn't know if she was going to live much longer. The way he described it, it sounded like those near end of life experience stories from that website that Double Edge linked here; he didn't tell anyone about it until after she died because it disturbed him so much at the time, he felt it was more than just a dream.

Strangely, that type of thing would normally send my mother into a fit of "he's possessed" or something like that but she cried and said maybe jehovah's spirit was preparing him for her death. I thought that was an odd response...

thanks again everyone...I appreciate your insights and input.

love,

essie

• Mary
    Mary

I tend to think that there is something beyond this life, despite what I was taught as a Witness. There's alot of scriptures in the bible that indicate that something happens at death (despite the desperate attempt at the Writing Committee to explain all these scriptures away), plus there have been thousands of people who have had Near Death Experiences which also seems to indicate that there's something beyond this life.

I don't know why God allows anyone to suffer and that's probably the numero-uno question of every human alive. I just find it hard to believe that we're all here by accident...........one thing's for sure, if there IS an afterlife, each one of us will find that out in our own time.

• outnfree
    outnfree

Essie,

I already PM'd you that I absolutely believe in an afterlife and why. I wanted to post the link to that website I vaguely referred to www.crossingthecreek.com You might want to start with the section on Symbolism, and others who are asking why God permits the sick to suffer so might want to read the section on Pain. There is also a section on grief. I'm about to go read that one now myself. I still have a lot of unresolved emotions about my mother's death.

I think I read elsewhere tonight that you were packing for a trip. I hope you are going to your special place and that you find your Grandmother's spirit there (or that she finds you). Know that I am thinking of you and praying for some comfort and healing as you mourn your beloved one.

Love,

Brenda

• Fleur
    Fleur

thank you dear outnfree! You have a PM.

See you all when I get back into town, and thanks again I will be pondering all that you've said and all that I read at the links you shared with me.

love,

essie

• myself
    myself

((((((((essie)))))))), first of all, my deepest sympathy for the loss of your grandmother. I just read your post of her funeral arrangements. What stood out was that while you went through some of her things with your mom, you felt a sense of contact from your grandmother in something that was there. It gave you a sense of comfort in that she wants you to continue on and be happy and content with your life. I can understand the confusion after being taught things all your life and then find out it was't as it seemed. It is natural to want to know that your grandmother is okay. Go with your feelings when you felt that she was letting you know she wants you to be okay.

Karla

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit