Question on Acts 15:28,29

by pc 43 Replies latest watchtower medical

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Heathen:Genesis four doesn't indicate that God told them to sacrifice anything, nor the way in which to do it. It appears they just did it.

I don't see that the sacrifice itself was in error, as both vegetation and lambs would be involved in later Mosaic sacrifices. v7 seems to indicate what was at fault with the sacrifice, in that there appears to have been some jealousy on the part of Cain. Could this have been the inspiration of the "if you know that your brother has anything against you, leave your sacrifice at the altar..." comment by Jesus?

Sorry if I'm missing your point. I tend to write tersely, assuming that my point is evident, and it may be that I'm getting a dose of my own medicine. Would you mind elaborating, please?

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

Leolaia,

BTW, what do you think of the quote given in my last post from the Kerygmata Petrou. It is an interesting hybrid between the rabbinical Noachide laws and the Jewish-Christian dietary prohibitions for Gentiles.

I found it very illuminating, though I would tend to see both this text and the "decree" in Acts as characteristic of the post-James period when the "Judeo-Christians" (Ebionite / Nazoreans) had already lost their symbolical centrality and were desperately trying to cope with "Christianity" as an overwhelmingly Gentile religion.

The Pauline "mission" still had to justify (Pauline keyword!) itself before Jerusalem. Once (1) Gentile Christianity could stand on its own feet as a distinct religion and (2) the Ebionite/Nazorean were symmetrically rejected by Pharisaic/rabbinical judaism, the subsequent "Judeo-Christians" were engaged in a lost fight to justify themselves before the two major groups who didn't care anymore about them.

Heathen / Ross:

I guess the Hellenistic interpretation of Hebrews 11:4 makes the difference:

By faith Abel offered to God a more acceptable sacrifice than Cain's. Through this he received approval as righteous, God himself giving approval to his gifts.

Some light can be shed on this by Josephus' Antiquities I,2,1 (54):

God was more delighted with the latter oblation, when he was honored with what grew naturally of its own accord, than he was with what was the invention of a covetous man, and gotten by forcing the ground.
  • heathen
    heathen

It just seemed to make sense to me that God established the arrangement of sacrifice so that people who were sincerely repentant of wrong doing could properly address the issue with God . It wouldn't make sense that they just up and started doing it so God was pleasantly surprised by it . I notice most religions don't discuss the signifigance of the sacrifice jesus made so that it took the place of all these burnt offerings that the jews were instructed to sacrifice as a part of the mosaic law . Good point there Narkissos .

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

I have heard the theory that God did so indirectly, by sacrificing some animal so that Adam and Eve could have some skins to wear (blood being shed, right in the beginning). I don't find any direct biblical warrant for the belief that God told Cain and Abel to make sacrifices, though, far less directions on how to do so.
    It is a moot point, though. Sorry to rattle the saber

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit