Do you believe in the paranormal?

by BeelzeDub 50 Replies latest jw friends

• BeelzeDub
    BeelzeDub

If you do, and can prove it, you could be a millionare.

• TresHappy
    TresHappy

Reminds me of the old skit from "Laugh in"

Dirty Old man to old lady - "Do you believe in the here after?"

Prudish Old lady - Of course I do...

Dirty Old Man - Then you know what I'm here after...

Silly, but still cracks me up after all these years!

• target
    target

The problem with paranormal events is that they tend to happen unexpectedly so it is kind of hard to have witnesses lined up to observe. A few days ago I had something unusual happen. A small teddy bear that sits on top of the mantle clock all of a sudden came flying across the room just as if someone had taken a swipe at it. It has been there for 4 years and never seemed enclined to do that before. There was no one in the house but me and the dogs and they have short legs and could never pull off a stunt like that. Of course there is no way I could prove it happened. No one I would want to prove it to anyhow.

Target

• BrendaCloutier
    BrendaCloutier

I agree, Target.

Do I believe? Most certainly. Mostly because of experience.

About 4 years ago my spousal unit's family - and us - gathered at an old house we rented at the beach for their parents 50th anniversary. Saturday afternoon I was walking into the kitchen, the door was next to a bedroom door that was open. I glanced in and

The room was pale pink, the furniture was totally different and of 1920-30's, and there was a woman in a rose-dotted white dress with short wing sleeves and a wrap-waiste, with a lovely 20's style broad brimmed white straw hat on. She had black hair and dark eyes and a creamy complexion. I caught her off-guard while she was pulling up and re-tucking her stocking in her garter, she looked at me startled, then scared!

I blinked, the room changed back to mint green and current furniture, and she was gone. She startled me as much as whomever startled her.

I think I may have seen her last moments. I think she may have been attending a wedding or other party.

I've had other ghost experiences that haunting is the only explaination. Interesting stuff. Not usually scary. But often sad.

Hugs

Brenda

• Frannie Banannie
    Frannie Banannie

Beelz, I'd certainly like to have access to any pertinent info concerning the outcome of their challenge.

• funkyderek
    funkyderek
    The problem with paranormal events is that they tend to happen unexpectedly so it is kind of hard to have witnesses lined up to observe.

The same is true of earthquakes. Hard to find someone who doesn't believe in them, though.

• seeitallclearlynow
    seeitallclearlynow
    The same is true of earthquakes. Hard to find someone who doesn't believe in them, though.

Wowie, funkyderek, I won't put words in your mouth of course . But generally a statement like this one could be taken to mean that you actually believe in paranormal events.

And I was under the impression from most of your comments on the subject that you require much more proof in that area before you will believe in them. Am I misreading you? Or am I generalizing too much here?

Thanks Derek.

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

Gina and I were batting this around the other day. We've both had unexplained things happen in our lives. Not quite a flying teddy bear or a "Somewhere in Time" moment, but unexplainable none the less. I'm hard pressed to justify simply stating that I don't believe in anything paranormal, since so many people claim to have experienced so many things. Are they all mistaken? Are they all lying? Are they all mad?

Ah. I'm mad. Yes, it all fits now.

Of course, Christians of all stripes report "feeling" Christ in their heart, some shake and babble in something that sounds Latin-ish, and tons of other weird stuff. I don't believe Christ or God or anybody Biblical is having a hand in any of that. Is it all emotionalism?

I buy that for every one of these experiences people have, you could work out a hollywood-special-effects explanation for how it happened. After all, just because you see a woman get sawed in half by a magician and because you can't explain how he did it, that doesn't mean you believe it happened. You believe you were tricked. And I've been tricked by natural occurrences. I could've sworn my headlights were on the other day, but it was just the way the sunlight was hitting them.

But I guess I'm just not sure. I tend to think it's all baloney and there's some other explanation. But what am I basing that on?

Derek, I really liked your earthquake bit. Believe or don't believe it, that's a good point.

• funkyderek
    funkyderek
    Wowie, funkyderek, I won't put words in your mouth of course . But generally a statement like this one could be taken to mean that you actually believe in paranormal events.

No, you've misunderstood. My point was that the excuse you give - that paranormal events "happen unexpectedly" - also applies to other phenomena such as earthquakes, but there is not the same doubt over the occurrence of earthquakes as there is over - say - poltergeists. Why is it that paranormal phenomena never seem to leave any kind of measurable or testable effect? They have never been reliably observed under controlled conditions. Considering how often these things are purported to occur, and the time and energy people have put in to trying to record them, it seems incredible that there is still no evidence. Basically, if there was the same amount of evidence for earthquakes as there is for paranormal phenomena, then I wouldn't believe in earthquakes either.

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

Oops. Even thinking you made a good point, I actually missed your point. I still think it's a valid point though that the paranormal is also unpredictable. So it's hard to test in any reasonable sense.

Don't they have some detector-dealie buried in a mountain watching for a proton to decay, or something like that? Maybe something like that would be helpful. Of course, your smart ghosts are going to avoid the cameras. Lawsuits, and all that...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit