Moral Absolutes??

by StinkyPantz 29 Replies latest jw friends

• frenchbabyface
    frenchbabyface

For the sake of not really talking about the subject in only turning around it, without getting really into what could be define in any society as "absolute" moral issue (out of religion laws) for fair reasons (means that we will always have to considere the why's way related to the what) I agree with Euphemism too ...

• minimus
    minimus

At one time I would've said that murder is wrong---unequivocally. I don't know if there are moral "absolutes".

• MerryMagdalene
    MerryMagdalene

hmmm...is "harm none" an absolute? I try to live by this: "In so far as it harms none, do what you will" and I define harm as the deprivation of anyone's rights (1) to live (2) to be well (3) and to be self-determined (free)...

• Euphemism
    Euphemism

Wow, looks like today's my day to develop a following... thanks!

MerryMagdalene wrote:
    hmmm...is "harm none" an absolute

I'm not sure of this one, but I would be inclined to say that a rule would have to be a bit more specific than that to be an absolute.

Besides, I would be surprised if you really believed in it absolutely. For example, let's say that some maniac was walking around shooting people. You're on a balcony above him, and could easily drop a planter on his head. Would you do it? If so (and I hope so), you would be doing him harm. So your decision would be a matter of balancing the harm to him against the harm he is inflicting on other people. Hence it's not an absolute.

• MerryMagdalene
    MerryMagdalene

Euph--

Your probably right. It's much too flexible to be an absolute. I appreciate your consisideration and clarification of that.

--Merry

• lazyslob
    lazyslob

What´s moral? Who´s definition? Mine? It´s morally ok to do anything as long as you´re in right place at right time. Kannibalism illegal all over the world but morally ok in some cultures. Suicide morally ok in some cultures. aso.

• teejay
    teejay

As water naturally seeks its own level, moral absolutes have developed as a naturally occurring consequence of centuries of human interaction ? what society itself has determined what's for it's own good.

The only moral absolutes I can think of is it's morally wrong to sexually/physically abuse or otherwise harm children or old people. Both offenses hold the possibility of irreparably damaging society's future since damaging children harms society's potential, and harming old folks damages society's storehouse of knowledge which must be passed on to future generations if society is to progress.

• BrendaCloutier
    BrendaCloutier

The Ten Commandments

1. You shall have not other gods before me.

2. You shall not make for yourself and idol in the form of anything in the heaven above or the earth beneath or the waters below. You shall not bow down to them or worship them; for I, the Lord your God am a jealous God, punishing the children for the sin of the fathers to the third and fourth generation of those who hate me, but knowing love to a thousand generations of those who love me and keep my commandments.

3. You shall not misuse the name of the Lord your God for the Lord will not hold anyone guiltless who misuses his name.

4. Remember the Sabbath day by keeping it holy. Six days you shall labor and do all your work, but the seventh day is a Sabbath to the Lord your God. On it you shall not do any work neither you nor your son or daughter, nor your manservant or maidservant, nor your animals, nor the alien within your gates. For in six days the Lord made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them, but He rested on the seventh day. Therefore the Lord blessed the Sabbath day and made it holy.

5. Honor your father and your mother so that you may live long in the land the Lord your God is giving you.

6. You shall not murder.

7. You shall not commit adultery.

8. You shall not steel.

9. You shall not give false testimony against your neighbor.

10. You shall not covet your neighbor?s house. You shall not covet your neighbor?s wife, or his manservant or maidservant, his ox or donkey, or anything that belongs to your neighbor.

• BrendaCloutier
    BrendaCloutier

I like what you said TJ.

These are the commandments that I believe have merit as moral absolutes. However, Jesus' three commandments (love god, love your neighbor, love yourself) covers everything, including the "harm none" mentioned previously.

6. You shall not murder.

Manslaughter - accidental death due to negligence i.e. driving while drunk.

Homocide - planned murder.

These I have absolutly no problem with moral and legal consequences with the above two.

Euthinasia / Death with Dignity - compassion, not murder in my book

Accidental death - someone runs out between two cars without looking

instead of using the crosswalk. Stupid Smuck

8. You shall not steel.

No explanation necessary.

9. You shall not give false testimony against your neighbor.

Lying in court or slander. No problem there.

Unfortunately, Ms. Stewart forgot this one.

Doesn't say anything about lying in general, does it?

10. You shall not covet your neighbor?s house. You shall not covet your neighbor?s wife, or his manservant or maidservant, his ox or donkey, or anything that belongs to your neighbor.

Practical advice as it can lead to Theft, Lying, Murder. It also leads to feelings of low self-esteem.

Keeping up with the Jonses is just not kewl nor necessary.

IMHO

Brenda

• BrendaCloutier
    BrendaCloutier

StinkyPants

I believe in Death with Dignity - doctor prescribed drugs for suicide for certain fatal illnesses.

I also believe in Euthinasia. Doctor assisted death, for certain conditions.

My spousal unit's parents aren't that old - mid-70's. Unfortunately, mother is developing alzheimers. Father is a retired physician and loves his wife deeply. They've been together almost 60 years! He would be lost without her, and isn't about to be a pain in the arse living with any of their children as their parents were.

The family knows that they have only 1-5 years left with their parents, and we are spending as much quality time as we can with them. There will be a day that we get a phone call that both are dead, probably due to overdoses. Or there will be a family gathering for their going.

This is a tough issue for a lot of people to wrap their minds around without getting the emotions or "morals" in the way.

Should people be "kept alive" ? Medical Science has made our lifespan longer, but has the quality of life improved? What about the baby born a vegetable who will always be a burdon on society? The people in vegetative states being kept alive with tubes just because their body is alive?

This takes one to the basics of what is life and what is a soul. Simple questions, tough answers for many.

Deep thought.

Brenda

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit