Who's cooling off? Bible question for the day.

by kwintestal 37 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Coincidentally, I was shunned today, by a couple who I had helped enormously (I helped study with her, through to baptism, and stopped a Judicial Committe being formed against him, once).

I had lunch with a friend of mine called Scott, who knows them through businees. As we walked through town they were approaching, with no way to cross the street.
    There was a moments hesitation, when they saw me, before they carried on walking and then pointed said "Hello Scott!".

My pal was incensed that they didn't just say "Hi", but made it completely obvious that I was excluded from their greeting.
    Ironically they are the losers in that display, as it's just reinforced their lack of Christianity, in his mind. A "good witness" indeed

He just can't believe they're still acting that way nearly three years after I left. The fact that it's a lifelong thing just made him shake his head incredulously.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

LittleToe....I did not mean to be dogmatic, except in that due to the gospel's obvious use of Mark, it is almost certain that it postdates the time of Paul and thus I felt quite confident of the point I was making (that Paul was not responding to Matthew). You know from reading my posts that I hedge like crazy to be accurate, so you may forgive me this oversight. I should have probably said "probably dates to around the end of the century" or something like that. I would say that AD 70 and AD 110 would be the two outer limits for the major redaction, with AD 85-100 being the time that best fits the evidence.

I'm not sure what you mean by a "perfect out" with Daniel, I hope you will not object to my stating (without qualification) that it is a work of the second century, or saying that it is highly probable that it was published between December 164 BC and the spring of 163 BC.

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

Miscellaneous:

- I think Eisenman makes his very strongest points with the Pseudo-Clementines... He sure helped me appreciate this literature I was not really familiar with.

- Strangely (or strategically) enough, the Acts of Apostles make Peter sound much more Pauline than Paul. The typical Pauline theology is never put on Paul's lips but on Peter's, especially in chapters 10--11 and 15. The last words of Peter being the Lukan summary of Paul's theology:

After there had been much debate, Peter stood up and said to them, "My brothers, you know that in the early days God made a choice among you, that I should be the one through whom the Gentiles would hear the message of the good news and become believers. And God, who knows the human heart, testified to them by giving them the Holy Spirit, just as he did to us; and in cleansing their hearts by faith he has made no distinction between them and us. Now therefore why are you putting God to the test by placing on the neck of the disciples a yoke that neither our ancestors nor we have been able to bear? On the contrary, we believe that we will be saved through the grace of the Lord Jesus, just as they will."
    - As to the deplorable, stupid and hurtful JW practice of shunning combined to a theory of love, I can't help thinking that it was inspired by similar attitudes within and among early Christian groups. The commands to "reject", "expel", "don't mix with", "don't greet" were all found in the NT (I was once disfellowshipped on the "grounds" of 2 John 9ff)...
  • LittleToe
    LittleToe

Leo:From one hedger to another, keep up the good work

I hope you will not object to my stating (without qualification) that it is a work of the second century, or saying that it is highly probable that it was published between December 164 BC and the spring of 163 BC.

Not at all. I suspect that's probable, too.
    That's why I introduced that book into the conversation
    You're on firmer ground with Daniel.
    Matthew is a little more tenuous, however.
    But I digress. We're already been over this, and I didn't intend to sidetrack the thread, sorry.

• A Paduan
    A Paduan

And many false prophets will arise and lead many astray. Yep - easy - how come?

the love of many (who hear the word) will grow cold - because of the increase (ie. everyone else isn't doing it) of lawlessness (love God, and neighbor as self) -

But the one who endures to the end will be saved. One being he/she who maintains integrity, remains whole (holy - self aware) despite the way of others, and/or the leading of false prophets.

• Carmel
    Carmel

Personally I think you have it right. The advent of the "age of reason" has turned many to secular humanism, radical materialism and pretty much turned their backs on the metaphysical element. One can't blame them considering the state of most of the worlds religions having declined in their influence and as upholders of moral rectitude.

carmel

• A Paduan
    A Paduan

I am

• jam
    jam

Posted in 2004. That number of members since 2004 (cooling off),

it is way pass the point of cooling off period, it,s in the freezer.

Nine years, there are more ex-members today.LOL

I don,t think this what the borg had in mind.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit