going to my first therapy appt today...

by nb-dfed 15 Replies latest jw friends

• Snapdragon
    Snapdragon

NB- I see that we're both the same age and relatively new here. I know EXACTLY what you're going through right now. I started therapy a month ago. I was lucky, my therapist is a dream. He's dealt with JW's before and knew a lot about them.

I know what you're saying when you talk about the apprehension with the first visit. I don't mind discussing my past, as painful as it is. Its actually dealing with and getting over issues that made me nervous. It much easier to let the bones stay buried, know what I mean?

Good luck, I hope your therapist is a good one. If you want to chat with me about anything, just PM me. I'd love to hear from you.

~Snapdragon

• jgnat
    jgnat

Valis interviewed Lady Lee on what good therapy looks like. She made me feel normal for having reservations about baring all to a stranger. Of course we would feel that way. I like that she sees that we are in the driver's seat for our own health, a therapist should never push us in to places we are not ready to go.

I will go look for that link....

• jgnat
    jgnat

Found it! An interview with Lady Lee:

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/8/68480/1.ashx

• Billygoat
    Billygoat

nb-dfed,

How did your first session go? You've been in my thoughts - hope things went well!

Andi

• Corvin
    Corvin

nb,

so far in my theraputic adventures, and I have been going for about 4 years now, it has been a real educational experience for the therapist. Unless you get really lucky, your therapist will not have a clue as to what you have been through. The good news is that just about any kind of therapy is useful to you. They all work if you apply them. Your therapist will try to apply his/her knowledge to your situation and in most cases it can mesh and serve you in getting better. You are doing the right thing in going. MORE FORMER JW'S NEED TO GO. THERE NEEDS TO BE A MOVEMENT, AN AWARENESS CAMPAIGN SO TO SPEAK. THERE NEEDS TO BE A BUZZ IN THE MENTAL HEALTH INDUSTRY REGARDING JW UPBRINGING AND ABUSE AND IT NEEDS ATTENTION.

I wish you the best and I will tell you that if you have a decent therapist, your fears and anxieties will melt away quickly. You will do fine. It was scarey for me at first, but I can see in the eyes of the various counselors I now visit that they are astonished at my stories. They want to know more and they are drawing me out nicely, my kids too. Let go and trust your therapist. It feels really good.

Corvin

• Snapdragon
    Snapdragon

Ditto to Billygoat, nb. We want updates! (uh, only if you're comfortable sharing, of course.)

~Snap

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit