logic vs emotion

by meggidon555 15 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• meggidon555
    meggidon555

I done with atheist for a time I'll get back to that with another thread later

This is for thiest or maybe the imaginative athiest

What caused god to create the universe logic or emotion.

I'm for either

though I favor emotion, love

but I hit some thing when I was talking to the athiest

maybe he needed a reason for going on purpose creating us, logic

any comments

• dh
    dh

logic is more reliable

• Pole
    Pole

Assuming that a personal God exists, how exactly do we know he must have the kind of emotions we are familiar with, so we can discuss them?

Are we supposed to know it from the Bible?

If God has the kind of emotions which the OT attributes to him, then he is at least emotionally unstable.

If we take what most of the NT implies about God's emotions, then his emotions are totally out of keeping with what he does, or rather with what he fails to do. No personal being with the kind of emotions normal humans have would let us suffer to such an extent. God may have a "divine plan of ages" but he is rather devoid of empathy.

If we refute the Bible (Editted to add: which is what we should do in the context of this discussion) because of its unreliability in discussing God's emotions, then what are we left with?

Either way any discussion on God's emotions is doomed to end up as a useless exercise in producing tons of mutually exclusive anthropomorphisms which do not relate to reality in any verifiable way.

• meggidon555
    meggidon555

let me see if I created some like an sentient adroid I would use my personality as a base program ( watch the outer limits i'm not theonly one)

I think god did the same.

so understanding humans, animals, and somethimes books ( that is all we have of past knowledge outdated as it may seem )

in my opinion would lead us to the personality of the being that created it

• Pole
    Pole

I understand your assumption, but the problem is that all the evidence I've mentioned in my first post clearly shows that the constructor is not like the little robots he's made in terms of emotions if we use your metaphor.

Check what the Bible says about God's emotions and you'll see that if we believe those descriptions then God comes across as a sociopath.

So, the sources of knowledge about God's emotions you've suggested (creation/bible) are either totally unreliable or they simply prove that we can't conceive of God's emotions in rational terms.

How else can we know about the nature of God's emotions if they are nothing like we know, and there is no reliable source of information about them?

You see? There's nothing to discuss here.

BTW, As I predicted... you've used the first antropomorphism by saying: "if I was God"..... There's many more to come if you want to continue with this discussion... All of them are rather useless....

Just a warning.

• meggidon555
    meggidon555

good let dicuss things irrationaly can you do it!

maybe god is a sociopath think of that.

infitnily alone can do that to you.

think like this

you see a machine broken with people arround looking at it asking questions

how did it break

who broke it

how do we fix it

who will fix it

while there arguing you walk see it broken

don't say a word to them

you go find a manual

and start to fix it

you have trouble you go get help

machine fixed

mean while those people are ticked that you did not answer the qusetions before you started working

you did because you were tired of it being broken and the three wise men arguing

I lose alot of games but I don't stop playing I adapt and learn

you never find a weakness when you stop

merovigian : it's amazing how this patern of love resembles insanity

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Meggido,

so understanding humans, animals, and somethimes books ( that is all we have of past knowledge outdated as it may seem ) in my opinion would lead us to the personality of the being that created it

So, when a stick insect eats a aphid head first while it is still alive, what does this tell us about your God?

HS

• Pole
    Pole

Meggido,

good let dicuss things irrationaly can you do it!

Entertaining as it may be, my point was: let's stick to facts and whatever can be considered evidence.

The bible doesn't tell us anything rational or consistent about God's emotions. The observable Universe gives us no clue. And as h_s pointed out the living creation proves that he not only created flowers and butterflies but also penguins trying to push each other off the ice because the first one in the water gets devoured, and so the the other ones are safe for a while. Hope God enjoys watching these marvels of creation too.

My stand: no evidence, probably no god, no emotions, no discussion.

But that's because I don't feel like making up fairy tales tonight. It's just bitter me - sorry if I sound harsh. I'm sure there are other folks here who enjoy having irrational discussions for the thrill of it.

Peace to you!

• Carmel
    Carmel

Pure jealousy and anger. Those are the highest form of female logic so it had to be those...

caveman running for cover

• Nat-Oz
    Nat-Oz

I can't help myself, I would love for everything I do to be well thought out and rational but I love to love, I love to hate, I love to cry, I love to smile .

I love to feel.

My heart rules me.

Good or bad, its the best feeling in the world.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit