Map of blasphemy laws

by rebel8 10 Replies latest jw friends

• rebel8
    rebel8

WTH Canada?! That one surprised me the most.

end-blasphemy-laws.org

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot
     Gaaaaawwwwwwwwwd damn!
  • William Penwell
    William Penwell
    I wouldn't count on the present government doing anything about these laws.
  • Village Idiot
  • smiddy
    smiddy

New Zealand has prison sentences  for B.L. that surprised me.

smiddy

• rebel8
    rebel8

What do the laws prohibit, exactly?

Are we blasphemers, in the eyes of those laws?

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot

I assume that in 'liberal' countries blasphemy laws would apply to someone making an extreme statement. Something publicly stated like saying:

"I wipe my filthy diarrhea stained a$$ on the beard of the demon god who wrote Deuteronomy 25:11-12".

• rebel8
    rebel8
    Wouldn't that make most of us blasphemers? We're blaspheming against a religion and a holy book.
  • Heaven
    Heaven

I am proud to be a blasphemer! Maybe I should get a button made up ... hmmm...

• Simon
    Simon

I think we need to differentiate between countries with anti-blasphemy statutes left on the books and those who would ever actively seek a conviction. Many western countries have bizarre old laws that would never in reality be used but that don't warrant government time to strike down so they just remain as reminders of the past.

If anyone tried to use them they would be laughed at. In an ideal world they would be removed but there are simply more important things to spend government time on in most cases or it's not urgent enough to be fixed.

Most people today would be guilty of these laws. Is anyone afraid they will go to prison because of them? Not in Canada where I live. In some countries that are ruled by a certain religion ... maybe.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit