eschatological expectancy causes tiredness

by stillajwexelder 20 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• luna2
    luna2

Just before I gave up and became completely inactive, that was me....I was exhausted. Not that I was so terribly old or that I'd been in since birth, but 20 years of confusing "new light" dawning just as certain teachings were reaching their expiration dates, meetings full of filler material and constant repetition, supposedly new books and pamphlets being published that had nothing new in them, getting browbeaten and constantly whipped for not doing enough, struggling to understand how the happy-happy-joy-joy rhetoric never seemed to fit the reality...it wears you down. I left still thinking it was Jebooboo's borganization, I just couldn't take it any more.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

Just had to BTTT in view of all the latest campaigns - so many campaigns , when will the yall end?

• JH
    JH

Very interesting thread Stilla !

I wish I could hear what elders think. Do they really expect Armageddon any time soon, when we don't even have peace and security, and bablyone the great is far from being destroyed.

I don't know how any human beings can go to 5 meetings a week, and prepare them ahead of time, on top of normal work, and not feel the stress.

They make serving God, a burden !!!

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

This one was certainly worth bumping up.

I recently had a conversation with a Divinity student (trainee Minister) wherein I commented on this after he gave a great sermon about end-times without trying to whip people into a frenzy worrying about a sense of immediacy. I was waiting for the shoe to drop and was pleased when it didn't. For his part he was interested in my own sensitivities concerning this, and how the WTS interprets the passages of scripture that he dealt with.

I think the "pioneer walk" (slow shuffle) speaks volumes about what's really in peoples' hearts.

• nowisee
    nowisee

my whole family exited in the 70's. however, i did freak out a bit after 9/11 and went to my mother asking her about armageddon...does she still think it is coming...does she still think we are in last days...etc. my mother just kind of shrugged her shoulders and said, "well WE thought it was coming in the '40's during the war." yes, it is exhausting,

• greendawn
    greendawn

After 1995 they have no real basis to believe firmly in a soon to be armageddon, yet the FDS keeps playing all these mind tricks about the end being just round the corner.

No doubt the dubs and especially the old ones that were naive enough to believe they would never die are deeply demoralised and disoriented. Above all there is no valid reason to believe that obeying the WTS carries favour with God. Its leaders may be hated by God.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

Guess how many were out and attended the meeting for field service today - just 4 - it says a lot

• stillajwexelder
  • drew sagan
    drew sagan

Quite interesting. Thanks for pointing out this post to me ;)

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

Wonderful thread, stilla.

I was going to post something along these lines to drewsagan's thread about JWism's dependency on belief in an impending apocalypse.

The brothers are just plain tired.

You can't maintain that high sense of urgency forever, without suffering some psychological damage.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit