Lasik Surgery

by StinkyPantz 36 Replies latest jw friends

• StinkyPantz
    StinkyPantz

Please share your opinions and experiences here, including cost and side effects both good and bad. A description of your experience would be great.

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

I had laser surgery, but it was PRK which is a little different from LASIK in that there is no cutting. And it is controlled by computer, so you don't have to worry about a surgeon with shaky hands.

I had it done in 1996 and have had zero problems. I was very near sighted (20/800) and now I'm 20/15 in my left and 20/25 in my right. The only side effect is my eyes are a little dry first thing in the morning, but I just keep some ordinary drops by the sink. No big deal.

In 1996 it was $3200, but I'm sure it's quite a bit cheaper now.

Good luck.

• Princess
    Princess

I had it done four years ago. I went to Canada and paid $1000 US for both eyes. The first time it didn't correct my astigmatism enough. I ended up having to wait six months and had it re-corrected. The second time didn't cost me anything but the cost of the trip to Canada and the hotel but I did have six months of blurred vision while waiting. I woke the next morning with 20/15 vision.

I had some trouble with night vision, but I always have. The first year I had halos around lights at night. The computer screen bothered my eyes. Eye drops become your friend. Small price to pay IMO.

Worth every penny and inconvenience. I love my great vision!

Rachel

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

After years of contact lens wear, my corneas were too thin for Lasiks, so I had to have modified PPK.
    To begin with my eyes were -6.0 and -6.5 (severely short sighted) and astigmatic.

The operation lasted 1-2 minutes (yes you read that right) after which my vision was immediately slightly improved. I had to put drops in for about a week, and then some salve for another week, after which the vision was great. By the end of a month it was near 20/20.

The day after the op was ok, the day after that was fairly sore, but then it got radically better.
    The key was keeping the eye moist - make good use of the drops supplied.
    One eye was slighter drier than I had been used to, for nearly a year. It can take up to that point for the eyes to completely settle.

Now, two years later, my right eye is 20/20, and my left is -0.25 which is far better than the quality needed for driving. I would have been happy if they were both just good enough for that. No night-driving halos or anything.

Lasiks is supposed to be even better, and with even less discomfort!!!

• Princess
    Princess

I guess I could elaborate a little, since Ross had so much to say...

My surgery was mostly by computer, no surgeon with shaky hands to worry about. He just operated the machine. It lasted about the same as Ross', a minute or so per eye. Immediately after my vision was noticeably improved but the room looked like it was in a dense fog. (possibly it was the sedative) Mulan was with me so she made sure my glass was kept full that evening. The next morning my vision was clear as could be. I had to use the drops for several months. They do cut a flap over the cornea and you don't want it dry. The flap never heals. They did not have to re-cut for my second lasik, they just pulled up the flap they had cut six months prior.

• Mulan
    Mulan

That sounds so awful. I am such a baby, I could never do it.

Glasses are just fine, thank you. My vision isn't terrible though. I do fine without my glasses, but I do need them to read because of my astigmatism, so I just leave them on all the time.

• ApagaLaLuz
    ApagaLaLuz

I've never had it done, but if given the chance I would, I'm blind as a bat.

However, my dad had it done several years ago. He also had his catoracts (sp?) corrected as well. Now he's 78 years old, and glasses free. He tells everyone to DO IT!

• teejay
    teejay

I've looked into it. Supposedly 15% of the population won't benefit from the procedure because of the shape of their eyes. Guess what? I'm in that group.

From what I understand, Lasik surgery shaves off some of a cornea that has become peaked. Well, for the lack of a better description, my cornea has valleyed, and shaving is the opposite of what I need. There is a new procedure for people like me that I may go with in the very near future. for someone who's had nearly flawless vision his whole life, this reading glasses thing is for the birds.

• Ratboy
    Ratboy

I had LASIK done on me 3 years ago, cost about 1300 for both eyes. My vision was worse than 20/400 in each eye. My vision settled to 20/10, 20/20. There is always risk when getting it done. I was nearly blind and it was worth it for me, even if it only meant a slight improvement.

• StinkyPantz
    StinkyPantz

Thanks for the replies so far. Question: Did you have to take time off from work, and if so, how much?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit