So...?

by zev 11 Replies latest jw friends

• Introspection
    Introspection

One other thing comes to mind - don't identify with a belief personally, in that you invest much emotion in it, but recognize that it's just the best conclusion from what you've got so far.. Also, it seems to me you can have two attitudes when you question - there is the skeptic who is just proud of being a skeptic, but there are those who simply acknowledge the limits of their own knowledge. Someone who doesn't have all the facts can just as easily have a knee jerk reaction and deny something which may be scientifically researched and/or have come about through logical reasoning because of their own ignorance.

"It is not so much that you use your mind wrongly--you usually don't use it at all. It uses you. This is the disease." -Eckhart Tolle, The Power of Now

• Big Jim
    Big Jim

I believe if there was a one and only true message in the Bible that our creator wanted us to understand it would be very clear just like in the Scriptres that tell us some things very clearly.

I do not believe there is one truth and one truth only. I feel like you must come to some educated conclusions for yourself and if it is what you really feel is truth, hold on to it and have a strong conviction for it, and that will be your truth.

(some quotes on truth)

I always divide people into two groups. Those who live by what they know to be a lie, and those who live by what they believe, falsely, to be the truth.

He who begins by loving Christianity better than truth, will proceed by loving his own sect or church better than Christianity, and end in loving himself better than all.

Argument is conclusive... but... it does not remove doubt, so that the mind may rest in the sure knowledge of the truth, unless it finds it by the method of experiment. For if any man who never saw fire proved by satisfactory arguments that fire burns. his hearer's mind would never be satisfied, nor would he avoid the fire until he put his hand in it that he might learn by experiment what argument taught.

Getting rid of a delusion makes us wiser than getting hold of a truth.

Those who believe in their truth -- the only ones whose imprint is retained by the memory of men -- leave the earth behind them strewn with corpses. Religions number in their ledgers more murders than the bloodiest tyrannies account for, and those whom humanity has called divine far surpass the most conscientious murderers in their thirst for slaughter.

When we believe ourselves in possession of the only truth, we are likely to be indifferent to common everyday truths.

Convictions are more dangerous enemies of truth than lies.

Life may change, but it may fly not; Hope may vanish, but can die not; Truth be veiled, but still it burneth; Love repulsed, -- but it returneth.

She say, Celie, tell the truth, have you ever found God in church? I never did. I just found a bunch of folks hoping for him to show. Any God I ever felt in church I brought in with me. And I think all the other folks did too. They come to church to share God, not find God.

Unless people can be kept in the dark, it is best for those who love the truth to give them the full light.

When a subject is highly controversial... one cannot hope to tell the truth. One can only show how one came to hold whatever opinion one does hold. One can only give one's audience the chance of drawing their own conclusions as they observe the limitations, the prejudices, the idiosyncrasies of the speaker.

Have the courage to say no. Have the courage to face the truth. Do the right thing because it is right. These are the magic keys to living your life with integrity.

Who never doubted, never half believed. Where doubt is, there truth is -- it is her shadow.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit