How Many Hours Do You Work?

by Englishman 41 Replies latest jw friends

• Englishman
    Englishman

Just curious.

Todays "Times" says that Americans do most things one hour before the Brits do.

Americans, it says, start work at 8am, Brits rarely before 9 am. American lunch is at 12 noon, the UK is 1pm. American dinner is at 6pm, UK eats around 7.

But how many hours do you need to actually work?

I start at 9, generally and finish around 3.30, 4 days a week. So I do a 26 hour week as I don't stop for lunch. Her ladyship works from 9 till around 4.30, 5 days a week.

I mean, that's enough, isn't it?

..and I want 6 weeks holiday every year too.

Englishman.

• New Castles
    New Castles

6 weeks holiday??? I get 3 weeks and thats it...

I work 8-5 five days a week, 40 hours....some saturday mornings

• Satanus
    Satanus

You guys know how to live. The tradespeople i have been working w for the last 2 months start at 7am and work untill 6pm. On one job, we worked 29 days without a day off. I averaged 9 hours a day during those 29 days. Some of us busy beaver canadians are a capitalist's dream.

S

Ps, i didn't make it for 7am most of the time

• bull01lay
    bull01lay

I'm on the old standard brit hours... 9 - 5.30. However, I'm in one of those 'stay till it's done' type jobs, so this often can end up as all nighters!!!

I don't envy our friends across the pond - generally, they have a terribly low holiday allowance!!

Bull!

• Xena
    Xena

Define work

Fortunately for me I work for some very easy going people I tend to get in somewhere between 8 and 8:30 usually....lunch can be from 30 minutes to an hour and 30 minutes depending on what is going on that day....and I usually leave about 5...

Vacation time sucks though...I don't want to think about it, it depresses me

• New Castles
    New Castles

What do you work in Xena??

• Tuesday
    Tuesday

I get to pick my schedule in 3 month incraments, I can pick 8-4:30; 8:30-5 (which I picked for this period), 9-5:30 or 9:30-6. We have to do one late night a week which is 11:30-8 and my late night is monday. We have 15 days vacation time and 3 emergency call out days. Speaking of work I got to log in again, plus I have my gameboy game paused.

• CeriseRose
    CeriseRose

I work from 8:30 until 4:30, 1/2 hour for lunch. My commute is 1/2 hour to 1 hour depending on traffic. Then I work at my home business for however long it takes in the evening.

I don't have holiday time with this job, because it's a temp one.

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

Mrs Ozzie and I share a business at which we work 40 hours a week.it used to be more but we decided we could cut back and still meet our expenses. Because we are our own bosses we can get to have vacations a few times a year and we get about 8 weeks vacation a year, usually overseas. Ain't it grand??!!!

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

9:00 - 5:30 here
    37hrs / week.

I also do some work on the side, which is highly variable.

Our vacation days are being changed at the moment, but it used to be 20 days per year with 10 Public Holidays (some of which I invariably worked).
    I think that changes shortly to 27 days with 8 Public Holidays, for me, as I've been with this Organization for over five years now.
    Unusually they run from April to March, though, which makes for three months of pain if you have a blowout at Xmas.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit