How many on this board vote?

by Netty 40 Replies latest jw friends

• dorothy
    dorothy

I always vote, if only to be contrary to the WT.

• bisous
    bisous

Blondie, thanks for making that point. It never ceases to amaze me how removed so many Americans are from the absolute privilege of democracy. Our ambivalence renders me speechless!

How many people have died in the past, or are dying now, or who would give who knows how much to have the element of control and voice over their everyday lives that we as Americans possess???? From school boards, to city council representatives, mayoral elections, state representatives, governors, etc. etc. etc. Bills, propositions, referendums which impact every aspect of our lives and which we have a voice and say in???

Stop and think about the many people throughout the world who have no voice, access to governing decisions about their lives. I wish more of us would wake up .... and not voting in order to avoid jury duty????

• kat2u
    kat2u

(waves hand in the air) I DO I DO !!!!!

• little1
    little1

I used to be a diehard voter until I realized that politicians are only out for their own gain and don't care what their constituants want unless the constituants are in the position to line the pockets of the politicians. Until they put the choice "none of the above" on a ballot I will never vote again.

L1

• bisous
    bisous

sounds like a gross generalization to me little1.... ALL politicians? at every level of government? local city councils, representative boards, etc.? and what about other items up for vote such as bills, tax measures, etc. that affect local citizens?

• bikerchic
    bikerchic
    sounds like a gross generalization to me little1.... ALL politicians? at every level of government? local city councils, representative boards, etc.? and what about other items up for vote such as bills, tax measures, etc. that affect local citizens?

.....and to add to what bisous said, what about being the one who sets up a committee to make a difference? It all starts with one voice!

Kate

Edited to add, I vote and am glad to finally be a registered voter after so many years of repression in the B'org.

• little1
    little1

Yep - even the locals. The majority of the people in my county want a slowdown put on develpment-our schools are over crowded, the roads are over crowded, services like fire and police are maxxed out, but the county commissioners keep ramrodding developments through no matter how many people protest. It's very discouraging. They get voted out, but a new crowd comes in anti-development and turns pro-development over night. Recently they approved a development of 2000 houses on a 2 lane road that is already ridiculously overcrowded.I wash my hands of it.

• Margie
    Margie

I've voted in every election since I was 18. It may sound silly, but I cherish my right to vote.

• bisous
    bisous
    I wash my hands of it.

Little1 - a better approach might be to get involved as an advocate for change. Why not run for a seat on a local council and be part of the solution? or band together with other local citizens who share your views and lobby for change. You will find you have a strong voice. If you truly believe all politicans are self-serving and corrupt, you can still use it to your advantage. Once your local representatives realize that you have banded together to form a voting bloc and can impact their reelection, trust me they WILL listen.

Grass roots action for positive change is entirely possible. MOST ESPECIALLY at the local community level. I organized a grass roots petition in my local borough (with a neighbor) and prevented the erection of a large cellular phone tower one block from our homes. We were located in a semi-urban area next to a busily traveled street, no one thought the residents would notice or care. We formed massive local support, got our borough representative to our neighborhood association (also locally formed) and let her know she would not be reelected to council if this tower were approved. Her office assisted us with the necessary documentation and meetings to attend and, lo and behold, the phone company went elsewhere (to an industrial area in our city). Our neighborhood associate was also able to lobby for a deciding voice in several building efforts by the city in our neighborhood (we obtained design approval on public housing and other changes).

All of these things are possible precisely BECAUSE we live in a democracy where citizens can be involved for a difference. Sitting on the sidelines practically guarantees all of the things you predict or bemoan in your posting will happen. Don't take your rights for granted.

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

I do vote. Not very enthusiastically though, for at least two reasons.

1) I'm far from convinced of the virtues of representative democracy, whereby people in effect give up their right to decide and act directly on things which will affect their lives during the mandate of the politicians they have elected -- although they know pretty well that these will soon forget their programs and promises and do exactly as they please, regardless of public opinion (except perhaps in the last few months before the next election).

2) I'm aware that the real power of politicians everywhere (including the US, but even more so in the rest of the world) is increasingly limited and subordinate to the will of economic deciders, who are not accountable to anyone but the (big) stockholders.

No wonder to me that abstention rates, political despair and violent alternatives are growing.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit